Help Me Learn How to Turn...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: Help Me Learn How to Turn...

Post by Nick BC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:57 pm

I did a tele camp with Dickie Hall back in the 80's, in the Spring on Mount Baker and it was a load of fun :) . He taught a lot of good stuff, but the main take away for me was, "step back into the turn". In other words, don't stride forward but put the weight on the back ski as you change direction. That way both skis are getting "somewhat" similar weighting.

But as Al say's camber is a beast. I recall my days on Kazama Mountain Highs (full double camber and indestructible) fighting to make them turn. Then in the early 80's
I got a pair of Atomic Telemark which were single camber and it felt like cheating.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:32 am

This whole thread is all truth!

I learned the Telemark turn on 88s, 189cm and 160lbs. When it clicks, it clicks. I still remember exactly where and when my brain rewired and I linked three turns in a row with relative ease. Low consequence slopes + speed helped me, I found it easier to use the centrifugal forces to get my weight from side to side, especially with the scales which can rob speed pretty quickly.

This is the start of a long and immensely gratifying journey.

Practice!

GuillaumeM

Post by GuillaumeM » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:26 am

You can also have a look at the number 54 of the magazin Presence Nordique. It is in French but there is some pages about telemark turn with XCD with some nice pedagogical time-lapse pictures.

https://en.calameo.com/read/0045966219ca548333b71

And of course the videos of Pål Trygve Gamme (in norwegian, video 1 and 2):

https://www.asnes.com/fjellskiskolen/
Last edited by GuillaumeM on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:41 am

Nick BC wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:57 pm
I did a tele camp with Dickie Hall back in the 80's, in the Spring on Mount Baker and it was a load of fun :) . He taught a lot of good stuff, but the main take away for me was, "step back into the turn". In other words, don't stride forward but put the weight on the back ski as you change direction. That way both skis are getting "somewhat" similar weighting.

But as Al say's camber is a beast. I recall my days on Kazama Mountain Highs (full double camber and indestructible) fighting to make them turn. Then in the early 80's
I got a pair of Atomic Telemark which were single camber and it felt like cheating.
This! +1

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am

There are lots of good ideas here. Of course when breaking down the turn into its component parts we will find divergent views and advice in our responses. I came late to tele, and it quickly became a big part of how I experience winter. I started from a lifetime XC background with occasional alpine resort skiing, and now no longer own an alpine set-up. True, cambered skis will not make learning to turn particularly easy. My second son and I started on old, flat, 90's-era alpine skis with no camber or rocker. Here's the approach that worked for me and both my sons:
Our AIM: that WE will ski the skis, and NOT that the skis will ski us! (This is a modest aim but one that gives us a little context and makes for good father-son rivalry)
1) Maximize time spent on skis especially on gentle slopes: experiment
2) Understand that it's NOT rocket science (except for those that do happen to learn best by deconstructing movement up into its (hard to isolate) component parts, i.e. with references to "uphill edges", "front" and "rear weighting", "the fall line"__still not sure WTF that is exactly! etc. etc.) With practice, confidence will increase and your body will sooner or later do what you want it to do. Yes, we started "VAGUE" (mostly more-or-less-upright on our boards), experimented, copied, and refined...) We also learned from this forum and from Youtube videos.
3) Some speed and momentum on the descent will facilitate the initiation, the flow, and the linking of turns whether parallel or tele
4) Watch experienced tele skiiers if there are any around.
5) We tended to keep one simple principle in the forefront, i.e. try to be bold when driving your ski forward to initiate the turn (NOT passively ruddering into your turns with rear ski initiation)

Skiing with or around other tele-skiers is a huge advantage. Failing that, stumbling about solo can still lead to good outcomes. Wade through all this and more opiniated BS but above all: enjoy the discovery.

One more thing: for me the most exciting time of learning tele was my first season just prior to, and for the next two months following the precise moment where it began to "click". Technique constantly improves, but it's never again quite as fun as during those early "eureka" moments.

GuillaumeM

Post by GuillaumeM » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 pm

You have also this excellent step by step movie from Dickie Hill, "The Telemark Movie", for learning downhill turns on narrow skis.

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:49 pm

GuillaumeM wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 pm
You have also this excellent step by step movie from Dickie Hill, "The Telemark Movie", for learning downhill turns on narrow skis.

Dickie Hall
Wendy and Ben Bridgewater
Jeb Porter
Dave Frank

.. true legends of the sport. I learned to tele by watching them at Mad River Glen as a teenager.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 pm

Quote :We tended to keep one simple principle in the forefront, i.e. try to be bold when driving your ski forward to initiate the turn (NOT passively ruddering into your turns with rear ski initiation)

Martin, I'm not sure if you are questioning the "step back into the turn" I posted about earlier. I found that, after putting it into practise, my turns became much more dynamic and one turn flowed effortlessly into the next. However as you say we all do it differently. That's why it's so fun - horses for courses. :)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 am

There are lots of ways to turn compared to alpine and it does keep it fun. I was never a proponent of stepping back into the turn, especially with double camber skis. I found that w/o aggressive weighting, the lead ski didn't always turn. When it first started to click for me I would start my turn with the lead ski weighted and finish it with the rear ski weighted. It wasn't until I started skiing single camber skis and tightened up my stance that separately weighting my skis became a thing of the past.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:15 am

vt_trees wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:49 pm
GuillaumeM wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Dickie Hall
Wendy and Ben Bridgewater
Jeb Porter
Dave Frank

.. true legends of the sport. I learned to tele by watching them at Mad River Glen as a teenager.
Those old NATO movies are a good resource for me and those tele festivals were a great time. I went to a few in the eighties, the last one I got to was maybe 2008. I was sure disappointed when they through in the towel.