help with mounting bindings on fischer sbound.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Teleg

help with mounting bindings on fischer sbound.

Post by Teleg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm

So i got myself a pair of sbound 112 quite cheap. Heard a lot of this sbound series and wanted to go out and not fiddling with skins etc.

Have some riva3 i want to mount them, but its been like more than 20 years since i last mounted a pair of telemark bindings. Now i don't know where to mount, is it pins on balance point, bot center, pins on cord center etc. What type of glue should i use? There is no marks on the ski for center line etc.

Also is a 30mm riser plate to much for a ski like the sbound 112? Its the only riser plate i have. Duno if i want to mount the bindings without a riser.

Kinda worried I fuck something up. I could bring the skies and bindings to the shop and get them to mount it for me, but I'm worried they will do it correct since they only deal with nnn bindings or dynafit/alpine bindings. They didnt even have any 75mm bindings in the shop.
Last edited by Teleg on Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: help with mounting bindings on fischer sbound.

Post by Nick BC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:21 pm

Boot centre on line marked on ski. Measure from pin hole to back of boot/2. If no centreline then tape across the ski and down around the edges in a few locations. Carefully trim along ski edge, unpeel tape from the sides and measure width of each trimmed piece. Mark centre of tape. PU glue to seal the screws I use Gorilla glue.

paulk

Post by paulk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Teleg wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm
They didnt even have any 75mm bindings in the shop.
Bastards!

paulk

Post by paulk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:21 pm

I'm an XCD tourer who turns infrequently. I've mounted my dozen pairs of skis (including Sbound snowbounds, ottabounds, and boundless) pins at balance point. My longest Atomic Mountain BC's which are skinny and 200cm I decided to try pins 1/2" ahead of chord center because I read about it in Steve Barnett. Anyway, my Atomics feel stubby. But all my sbounds feel good on balance point, not at all tippy, just right

I can't comment on risers, I dont use them for touring.

Glue. I use woodglue. The glue is not there to hold the screw in. The glue is there to keep moisture out. Dont be the guy to epoxy you screw in.

Take your time, mount them yourself. You will appreciate it more! Cheers!

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 pm

The Sbound 112 is an xcD ski, so I assume the ones you bought have a boot centre mark on them. Balance point is for XCd
skis, where stride and glide is the main objective. I just mounted my wife's Traverse 78's on balance point, as that's what they will be used for mainly.

As to risers, the one advantage of a riser is the mount point has four screws versus three, so it will be a bit more resistant to pull out. I've just mounted a new pair of Sbound 98"s (at boot centre) with Voile Traverse 10 mm risers, in preparation for a pair of the new Rottefella 3 pin cable bindings, which I bought from Telemark Pyrenees.

Teleg

Post by Teleg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Ok, so I got them mounted at the store yesterday. Seems they did an ok job. Mounted pins on center.

So I got to use them today. It was so much fun!! So easy to ski fun section twice or more. Being able to climb up again without having to take off skis and put skins on them was so liberating!

I guess the conditions today was perfect for this ski, about 20cm powder snow on firm snow. Was a bit wind packed above the tree line and windy, but no wind and powder snow as soon one come below the tree line. Was so fun to ski today.

Teleg

Post by Teleg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:17 pm

But it seems the riva3 binding don't quite fit t2 eco boots somehow. Just the front part of the duckbill is in contact with the walls on the binding, and there is a gap on both sides further back on the toe box/duckbill. This makes it so that there is some left/right play even if the springs are very tight.

Been using t2 on riva3 before without having this issue. It's like the toe box on these riva3 are wider than my other pair of riva3's

Teleg

Post by Teleg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:24 pm

Maybe tomorrow I will use my Asolo extreme racers or Fischer bcx8 boots. Though bcx8 is kinda soft. I feel the ski more or something with the asolos than the t2. But they can crush ones toes in a fall.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:58 pm

How new are your T2's? I can say with certainty that Scarpa's (T1's, T2's) soles were often inconsistent in their fitting any of the tele bindings. Experienced it with some of my own boots (sanded/rasped them to fit), and confirmed it trying several pairs new, in the shop.
That was at least 10 years ago... can't say whether that issue has improved (Scarpa never acknowledged it), but it'd be pretty rare if the problem is in the binding.

Teleg

Post by Teleg » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:32 pm

I guess they are about 4 years old. It's the green t2 eco with tongue liner. I haven't used them much, maybe 15 times. I usually always use the asolo extreme racer's. even tought the asolos are like 300 gram more per foot, I like the way they ski and I've been using them like forever.