Ski Backpack

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Ski Backpack

Post by fisheater » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:00 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:57 am
peterindc wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 am
I’m a fan of the Black Diamond lineup because they are light, tough, have a streamlined profile, and have dedicated ski touring options.

I have the ski touring Cirque in both the 30L for backcountry day tours when I need all 10 essentials (https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/what- ... essentials) and the 45L for when I need to bring everything for an overnight including down parka and bivy. Both allow multiple ski carry options, have pockets designed for avy tools if you’re someplace you need those, side as well as top access, and helmet clips.

They also make a 22L Cirque which might be the sweet spot for in-resort ski touring, but for that I use a Black Diamond Distance 15L trail running vest, which has pockets in front for two 500ml water bottles.
Yes, agreed. I have the BD Speed 30, and I got it specifically for the streamlined shape and it's been my go-to bag for years now on day trips. I love that thing, tough as nails too. The Speed doesn't have the ski options though so I'm usually wrangling skis when I put them on the pack.
I have broader shoulders and a former concrete guy body. Are the BD’s made to fit a guy like me? Just curious, I know Woods and I are kind of built opposite.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:17 am

fisheater wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:00 pm

I have broader shoulders and a former concrete guy body. Are the BD’s made to fit a guy like me? Just curious, I know Woods and I are kind of built opposite.
I have the Speed. Johnny Lightning has the Cirque, like peterindc. Johnny is much broader across the chest than I am. Worth giving it a shot. You can always return.

Andinista

Post by Andinista » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:42 pm

I've got the Mammut Trion 50l recently, haven't used it yet. It is the only one that i found of that volume with separate compartment for the avy equipment (I don't remember if it was the only one in general or in the local market). Less volume in my opinion is not enough for multiple day tours carrying tent and everything. I added a separate helmet holder.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:45 am

Andinista wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:42 pm
I've got the Mammut Trion 50l recently, haven't used it yet. It is the only one that i found of that volume with separate compartment for the avy equipment (I don't remember if it was the only one in general or in the local market). Less volume in my opinion is not enough for multiple day tours carrying tent and everything. I added a separate helmet holder.

Mammut Trion 50L is my favorite bag! I have used it on many multiday climbs and tours. It's roomy, light, and well balanced. I take it out only on special occasions. I usually slum it with some other bags I own. And if I need a larger bag, I take my Arcteryx Bora 80. Hot tip: use a cheap rain pack shelter to protect the bag if you doing a scramble or technical climb involving sharp rocks. I slightly scuffed it up in Ecuador.

Andinista

Post by Andinista » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:39 am

jyw5 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:45 am
Mammut Trion 50L is my favorite bag! I have used it on many multiday climbs and tours. It's roomy, light, and well balanced. I take it out only on special occasions. I usually slum it with some other bags I own. And if I need a larger bag, I take my Arcteryx Bora 80. Hot tip: use a cheap rain pack shelter to protect the bag if you doing a scramble or technical climb involving sharp rocks. I slightly scuffed it up in Ecuador.
Cool! Yes, the fabric doesn’t seem the most heavy duty but the pack is light.

leslimed

Post by leslimed » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:49 pm

Where did you order it? It looks so cool! Does it have an avalanche safety pocket? I'm thinking about going backcountry skiing this year, and I need to take additional safety measures. Anyways, if you're looking for a lightweight rucksack, check out backpacks.global. I've got the Deuter Freerider Pro from them, and I'm pleased with it. I think it's one of the most comfortable and durable backpacks I ever had. It's ultra-comfortable, and it has a lot of glove-friendly pockets for storage. Hope you'll like it.