The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5

Re: The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

Post by jyw5 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:25 pm

Anyone skiing the Nosi 76 with BC NNN?

how does it compare to the Rabb 68?

I am assuming that the Nosi 76 would be a good replacement for the S112 ? similar width but way better and much lighter.

I am looking for a ski to tackle the EIGHT feet of snow that has fallen in the past 5 wks. My S112 feels like a slug and I'm skiing in waist deep snow on my FT62s.

I found a secret/overlooked place last wk when it was snowing...there were only two sets of old faint tracks ...otherwise I am estimating 2000ft vertical and 5+ miles of virgin snow...no avy danger, brief steep sections and at least a mile of moderate wide terrain. It was bottomless and a real pain to break trail with my S112s, but the quiet descent was slow, smooth, deep, and graceful. Would love an appropriate ski that would float more and go a bit faster.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Why not just go 75 mm and a Vector ? You’re getting the snow. My decision would be Vector or V-6. The Nosi is length limited as well. T-4 / Vector is a well regarded combo.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:37 pm

Feet? Several feet?

X2 & V6.

Hell that's my combo for 8"+

... And the Nosi would be a 75mm binding for 99% of the population

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:04 am

So I guess I have to get yet ..another pair of boots...not really wanting to get a pair of 75mm boots

I was hoping to use my new Alfa Guard Advance with NNN BC Magnum or just regular NNN BC bindings....
maybe Rabb 68 or Nosi 76. Someone please help explain the difference vs FT 62 and perhaps even the Fischerb

Yeah, 8ft+... this is quite the winter we are having. I am visiting sunny California right now and its still snowing in AK (will it ever stop?). I will be back skiing on Thursday-Monday next wk...hopefully the snow packs down. Thinking of taking my FT62 and an AT setup.

I wouldn't be surprised if we break 1000 inches this season and have snow through August. I skiied some nice steep snowfields on July 23rd two years ago with my S112s.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:02 am

jyw5 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:25 pm
Anyone skiing the Nosi 76 with BC NNN?
The NOSI combined with NNN-BC is simply the #2 best powder tool you can find on the planet. The #1 would be a waxless version of the NOSI... Think of the Karhu Guide but with an added 20 years of tech evolution...

Woodserson wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:37 pm
... And the Nosi would be a 75mm binding for 99% of the population
SO proud of being a daring member of the one percenter club. Public opinion never worked for me...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:31 am

Hé J, I was looking at them this morning... and I was thinking that they had a little too much sidecut (Nosi). Why is that so? 16 m radius in 164. Not much needed in the BC... And the tracking tend to suffer. But I never tried them...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:23 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:31 am
and I was thinking that they had a little too much sidecut (Nosi). Why is that so? Not much needed in the BC... And the tracking tend to suffer.
Because just like all other skis in this category, the NOSI is a ski made for cross-country DOWNHILL. There will always be a compromise... If tracking is your priority, there are plenty of other options... Better look at nordic-oriented skis... FT62 or Ingstad perhaps? This one is tuned for xcD and touring for turns, not for XCd / Touring with turns... 8-)

On the way down, the Nosi 76 offers the feeling of a classic touring ski, solid and stable. On the ascent, however, it feels like you’re shinning up the hill on a pair of rando-race class skis.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:24 pm

Johnny wrote:
Rodbelan wrote:
and I was thinking that they had a little too much sidecut (Nosi). Why is that so? Not much needed in the BC... And the tracking tend to suffer.
Because just like all other skis in this category, the NOSI is a ski made for cross-country DOWNHILL. There will always be a compromise... If tracking is your priority, there are plenty of other options... Better look at nordic-oriented skis... FT62 or Ingstad perhaps? This one is tuned for xcD and touring for turns, not for XCd / Touring with turns... 8-)

On the way down, the Nosi 76 offers the feeling of a classic touring ski, solid and stable. On the ascent, however, it feels like you’re shinning up the hill on a pair of rando-race class skis.
I’m sorry J but that “classic touring ski” is meant to mean a backcountry alpine ski, a top touring ski. That’s what they say in Norway. Pretty darn sure of it. Things get lost in translation. There is no true XC DNA in this ski. It’s a nice ski for sure though and anyone can do whatever with it. Go Tur!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Johnny wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:23 pm
Rodbelan wrote:

There is a misinterpretation here; maybe I wasn't clear enough... I meant to say that a BC ski, in order to turn, doesn't need 16m of radius. I've got a pair of K2 Sahale 25m of radius; it tracks great and it turns great too... We see short radius in Alpine skis dedicated to the resort. It is quite different in the BC...

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:31 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:24 pm
Johnny wrote:
Rodbelan wrote:

I’m sorry J but that “classic touring ski” is meant to mean a backcountry alpine ski, a top touring ski. That’s what they say in Norway. Pretty darn sure of it. Things get lost in translation. There is no true XC DNA in this ski. It’s a nice ski for sure though and anyone can do whatever with it. Go Tur!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah mon sacripant! Tu as écrit en même temps que moi!