Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:45 am

two days ago had some workout!!!! headed up and it was glazed ice...uh-oh...Slipped into the woods to see if it was better...Just a little lockable crust which locked me up for a difficult ski out....Crust and speed were not in my favor and was lucky to get out, without, getting squished...Teleking went up yesterday and said there was some corn on the South most facing aspects....Me I went up to snowshoes place with the Kid and King....Rare day when horseshoes is better than a ski...Should be making syrup tonight...Real cold yesterday....warmer today...Looking at a big run of sap...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:24 am

Soft snow, corn and sugar....Went in deep on the way up....surface could collapse anywhere at any time so....headed down with serious concern but when elongated the skis did well....At the right time corn is wonderful but right now it's about consolidation and collapse....Need some cold weather....Sugaring has been OK just above 10 gallons....Telekid and i gave Telesven and Rasta tele some relief two days ago by boiling and such....yesterday Telesven and Jen did most of the work with their children delivering the sap...Good tasting "A"...syrup....Granddaughter made sawdust pie with grass and leaf toppings...She worked as hard as we did....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:13 am

Skied in on my up track but not off it....On the sides the skis went in about a foot and a half....Same on the down....Good workout but we need cold to get the snow pack together....Boiled a hundred gallons of sap....two gallons plus of syrup and the rig is very sweet.....Pay homage to COLD.......TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:06 am

E-gads still melting.....Horrors....South side of hills gone....North and East still have snow but it is going fast....Any base is better than no base...Will there still be any this Sunday when thingers turn?....Please.....please....!!!!!! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:19 am

sixteenth of an inch of new powder....er.....and it's in the low 30's.....Time to ski the havoc rendered by Nature....Fingers crossed.....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:57 am

Snowing and blowing....I mean howling and horizontal snow....Two days ago found some decent amounts up in the Highlands but chose to cruise down to Dead Moose Pond...Didn't get there what with whips mud...lichen and moss....Around the corned...North and East had enough just a bad choice....Today will head up into a higher range with rounded possibilities...Fingers crossed and hope the trail in is snow....heh....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:58 am

Just skied on the flats as crust was forming and skis wanted to go under....Clipped here and there....crossed snow bridges wondering if I would get wet.....Still.....it was very quiet with Ravens checking everything out....Not sure I dad any turns at all....just quietly observing....snow on top was silky but for the crust could have been good...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:01 am

3-4 inches of new powder and it was good....Easy on the up what with clouds disappearing , blue sky opening up....Trees were glittering with snow and highlighted with sun beams....At the top put the helmet on and was off...Most important was to hit a small drop then float on low angle making turns when wanted...Man was this good or what thinks I ...Slowly slid down getting many floaty turns...Stopping here and there to find the most enjoyable and open way....Almost at the bottom heard a shout and there was Teleking on some oldie rossies of the skinny kind....really skinny.....headed back up with little wax on but was able to use contours for a sweet feeling going up...Over there were ridges of hardwoods and some Bigger peaks off to the East.....It's always fun to see the KING do his tele turns....The North side of low angle was a blast....soft turns and snow everywhere......Been sugaring for a while and this was a nice diversion....Looking forward to closed ski areas in the near future.....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:59 am

Headed back to the Highlands yesterday....Telekid and I were looking for powder.....RIIIIGHT.....Hit some in spots but most had worked into the crust or hard pack.....Wish you all could have seen the ridge and the hardwoods....beautiful light....Blue sky....and the slope WANTED to be skied...However frozen hard pack gets sketchy fast and fast it was....Very cautious skiing with a turn-out tele here and there...Heading out was different...Most of the pack was gone on the Logging road with a two inch hard pack and a 6 inch old up track sticking out making for wild edging.....I was convoluted and just trying to get out without injury while the KID adjusted well and had some semblance of keeping it together...Not me!...In one place there was water and mud across the trail and man did plaster water up into the air...No powder so nothing stuck....Good to be out there but the skiing needs help with a.....first storm of this year...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:06 am

Headed up Teleknob on some snow and lots of leaves and moss.....Sun lit the slumbering forest with all kinds of shadows...at the top found a nice U that would take me down with hopefully lots of leftover snow....There was some with old downed trees sticking up with very tough whips....Entirely turn out tele's but the Rebounds did really good work......Ground water was gushing up and gurgling water brought sound in competition with Raven Caws and birds getting into mating....Only once did i get the chance to put together two turns together....Being out there was enough...but sure am looking toward to shut down ski areas...Burke must be closed and Stowe soon....30% decrease in sugaring this year.....Like the snow it's pretty done....TM