Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:24 am

Fischer e99's are a great ski.....Believe me....have broken so many sets....Not the ski's fault!!!!!!! People tend to get shorter skis for turning....makes things easier or so we think...but......on longer skis in powder do we turn or just initiate the turn and keep heading down....Longer skis go up easier....getting there is easier....skiing down is.....different......often we don't complete the TURN....if we did we would slow to a stop in deep snow....so initiating a turn and then....falling into the fall line is more or less natural....Often looking at the track it looks like an arc.....or a new Moon.....Don't mind me just love the arc....love the feel of double camber.....love the tiny mono track.....love the feel of one long ski.....love being in Nature.....Even in terrible conditions being "out there" is revealing....I'm an old guy....get carried away I guess.....Soon will work on those 99's and make them fast....And since this is an Asnes site.....if I ever see a set in a ski and swap will give them a try....(Have some old Asnes woodies up in the shed)...TM

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:23 am

greatgt wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:24 am
Fischer e99's are a great ski.....Believe me....have broken so many sets....Not the ski's fault!!!!!!!
Sorry folks but I can't just let this fool spout his nonsense without responding. Yes, I'm immature and also have a bad attitude. TM: If you are breaking the same tool over and over, maybe you aren't using the right tool for the job. Either that or you're clumsy and poor at skiing.
greatgt wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:24 am
......often we don't complete the TURN....if we did we would slow to a stop in deep snow....so initiating a turn and then....falling into the fall line is more or less natural.......TM
You make no sense TM. If you were to use skis that are appropriate for deep snow forest skiing, you may eventually learn to link your turns. And don't whip out that old her-de-der chestnut about how you ski the 'bush' in deep snow in the hardwoods and I wouldn't understand. That's exactly the skiing I do, yes with 3-pins and leathers sometimes. Your kkklan reminds me of how some organic vegetable growers use 'organic' as an excuse for their crappy flea-bitten produce. (Never mind that there's also plenty of organic growers that manage to produce top quality.) You use telemark as an excuse for your poor skiing. So go ahead with the predictable name calling and chest-puffing. I'm giddy with anticipation.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:43 am

Been skiing the bush and on e99's for about 40 years...Yup....have broken many 99's....Smashed knee Tele....a great and humorous guy was heading down the bottom of Corkscrew a twisting drop they used for getting granite out of my Grandfathers quarry.....They used chains and pulleys to get the horse team and granite out safely :( Smashknee on 215 99's headed down with the decent getting steeper by the foot....Then the last banked turn....Up he goes....totally flying....skis parallel....tails down...He snapped those suckers real good....Did the same later on another set....I hate breaking them because they are a great ski.....Have read the best selling ski of all time....Yup we break them then we have a story and lots of laughs....The ones I have now have not broken even though they have been trashed....Getting older and have to be more careful especially the solo trips....Your on good stuff connyro....keep doing he deed....TM

Tele kid
Ski style: Old school Nordic telemark
Favorite Skis: Fisher E-99's
Favorite boots: Andrews North rim

Post by Tele kid » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:34 am

Is there anyone left out there ripping tele turns on skinny double chamber skis. If not your missing out big time. Take off the training wheels folks and try some old school Nordic telemark!! For the record my E-99's are 185's This is a huge difference from the 205's or 210's that I grew up skiing.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:27 pm

I did the Dbl camber thing for too many years and don't see any benefits for the down. I can understand why someone would want to stick with skinny skis and leather boots but I don't get the dbl camber thing.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:50 pm

I learned to Tele in the 80's by taking my XC racing skis to the local downhill ski area. no edges, no ankle support, obv double camber. the object was not carving, but to slide your way through a corner. with no ability to put power to the ground with that setup, you had to learn to navigate over and around the terrain. trying to plow through the terrain simply would not work. my first "real" tele setup was something I bought used as a set. Asolo Extreme boots, and a pair of 215 double camber skis. someone here will prob recognize the skis, if I say that they were all brown with gold/yellow writing. I can't remember the name. it would have been around 1986 or so. my first upgrade was to hack saw the plastic cuffs off an old pair of Nordicas and strap them around the leather boots. this gave me a couple of buckles and 3-4 of vertical support....at the time, Merrell was making boots like that, but no way I could have afforded them.

today I tele on burly 4 buckle tele boots and heavily shaped single camber skis that are one the shorter side. no way I would go back to skinny skis.

don't get me wrong here, I have an appreciation for old school: one of my daily drivers is a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 4spd manual with no air conditioning. love driving this car

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:58 am

Lie snow out West!!!!!! Working on wood for heat this winter....Never had that ski in Septemb3er so anything....even if it looks white will suffice....Even rain drops turned ice would do the deed....have plenty of beater skis for the task...TM

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:10 pm

Sbounds..leathers

Here's on June 21st...

Can't wait to get back on... first snow is 2 wks away.

I'm going to be sad when my S112s die... the new ones are ugly and probably cheaply made. I like the black and orange, it matches all my stuff. lol
FB_IMG_1600023998793.jpg

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:41 am

Good outfit!!!!! Boys were talking about frost skiing.....But.....don't think we will get September SNOW skiing here but hope springs eternal.....or so they say....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:38 am

Problem......sounds like serious frosts coming up this weekend and thereafter.....Cross fingers and get some beater skis ready....er they are all beaters.....anything that coats forest debris is game on....My beater fingers are crossed....ooops...that's a sign of age!!!!! TM