Tech Bindings/Boots for XC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anrothar

Re: Tech Bindings/Boots for XC

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:48 pm

I absolutely agree that bumpers provide the following benefits:

-levels out the ski when skating, sidestepping or herringboning

-encourages good form(keeping the toes flat on the ski through the grip phase)

-makes it easier to bring the ski back forward more quickly

-keeps the tip of the ski in the track to improve control while classic skiing on groomed trails

-increases downhill control compared to the same binding without the bumper

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:08 pm

anrothar wrote:I absolutely agree that bumpers provide the following benefits:

-levels out the ski when skating, sidestepping or herringboning

-encourages good form(keeping the toes flat on the ski through the grip phase)

-makes it easier to bring the ski back forward more quickly

-keeps the tip of the ski in the track to improve control while classic skiing on groomed trails

-increases downhill control compared to the same binding without the bumper
It sounds like they do the same thing as a cable on a binding.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:11 pm

@anorothar: Since you been trying AT toes a lot, do you think that a 2-pin AT toe with some sort of bumper would work as an alternative to NNN-BC and 3pin 75mm? Especially as a lightweight downhill alternative.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 pm

iBjorn wrote:@anorothar: Since you been trying AT toes a lot, do you think that a 2-pin AT toe with some sort of bumper would work as an alternative to NNN-BC and 3pin 75mm? Especially as a lightweight downhill alternative.
I think it could work with a bumper for an nnnbc replacement. It would be difficult to get the resistance of 3-pin with a bumper. I think TTS is probably more effective as a 2-pin substitute for 3-pin than a bumper would be. Tech toes with a bumper would never replace racing nnn/sns binding systems, since the increased width makes them more likely to drag the sides of set tracks.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:21 pm

@anorothar: I agree, with a second thought I realize that it probably would not work, since the force of the bumper will be directed at the direction to force the boot out of the binding backwards. Regular tele binding cables creates a force in the opposite direction stabilizing the boot forward.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:48 pm

iBjorn wrote:@anorothar: I agree, with a second thought I realize that it probably would not work, since the force of the bumper will be directed at the direction to force the boot out of the binding backwards. Regular tele binding cables creates a force in the opposite direction stabilizing the boot forward.

Unless you're using a releasable tele binding, I don't think that would matter. I only ever ski with the toe pieces locked(no possible release). Unless attached to the heel piece, tech toe boots will pop right out of tech toe pieces without much effort unless locked.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm

anrothar wrote:
iBjorn wrote:@anorothar: I agree, with a second thought I realize that it probably would not work, since the force of the bumper will be directed at the direction to force the boot out of the binding backwards. Regular tele binding cables creates a force in the opposite direction stabilizing the boot forward.

Unless you're using a releasable tele binding, I don't think that would matter. I only ever ski with the toe pieces locked(no possible release). Unless attached to the heel piece, tech toe boots will pop right out of tech toe pieces without much effort unless locked.
Do the tech toes hold the forces of tele turns in locked position (in a totally passive binding sense, i.e where the skiers skills and pressure on BOF is the only thing holding the balance)

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:17 pm

When locked, the mechanism is significantly stronger than the screws holding power in the ski. There is a documented case of a skier dangling from one locked toepiece in a crevasse he fell into(his ski was bridging the opening).

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:36 pm

anrothar wrote:When locked, the mechanism is significantly stronger than the screws holding power in the ski. There is a documented case of a skier dangling from one locked toepiece in a crevasse he fell into(his ski was bridging the opening).
Yeah, I remember the story from the days of the original telemarktips, amazing.

I have a crush for passive bindings, and so far I have not crossed the line on finding a binding that is too passive. Perhaps I should get some AT front pins and a NTN boot and give it a try... ;)

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:54 pm

If you end up feeling like it's too free pivoty, you can always buy the remaining parts to turn it into a TTS system.