Mounting mistakes and personal acceptance levels, techniques

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Mounting mistakes and personal acceptance levels, techniques

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Ok, so I remounted the Outtabounds and moved them up about 19mm to where I want them now that I've skied them a bit. In doing so, I was a bit hasty, and made a few small technical errors. They are fine for this season, but I got to wondering about what other people's tolerance level is for mounting errors. These are 3 pins with leather boots, it's not some big burly set up that needs 6 screws being powered by gigantic plastic boots.

On one ski, one of the screws went in slightly crooked, ever so slightly, I can catch a fingernail on one side and see it visually if I look for it.

On the other ski, the jig jumped a bit (more on this in a bit) and the nose screw was off by 0.5mm. I drilled out a bit to the side, not much, and then drove it home straight and true after tightening down the two base screws so the binding wouldn't skew off centerline.

Now, if you were going to do a 16 miles traverse of the Pemi Wilderness would you take these skis? Or would you remount them this summer with wood plugs (http://www.slidewright.com/hardwood-hole-plugs-20pk.php) and some epoxy? I don't want to move the position, so it would be same holes. Which one would you replace, if any?

Here are some beefs I have with some new mounting equipment I got.

1. Rottefella has a new jig-system with interchangeable plastic plates on a metal frame for all their NNN based bindings. I have this jig, and it's slick, but there's a little bit of play between the plastic mounting plate and the frame of the jig. A little pressure can just move the plate by a little bit, and skew the mount. (I used the NNN jig since the holes all line up with the 3 pin binding laterally, I just slide it back and forth for correct distance fore/aft). This is a pretty lame system with the interchangeable plate allowing it to move. I see that they are trying to save some money here by offering one jig for NIS, NNN, NNNBC, etc., but come on, this is horse manure, really. Jigs shouldn't have interchangeable parts that then move, even the slightest amount. I expect the jig to be rock solid.

2. I bought a new drill bit 3.5x9 and it's threaded up a substantial portion of the shaft, so it fits loosely into the jig guide hole. All my older bits don't thread the main shaft, so the fit is snug. What's with this loosey goosey baloney? Am I missing something? (I went back to my old dull bit).

Thoughts? What are your personal levels of mistake acceptance?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Mounting mistakes and personal acceptance levels, techni

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:50 pm

Sounds fine to me but if your worried i would unscrew them and place expoxy in the screw holes before screwing them back in. As long as you like the current placement of course!

FYI, i have no jig, I measure all my holes out with masking tape, markers and a ruler. I mask off a drill bit at the right length to know when to stop drilling and i eye sight drill angle. I've done this on several skis, including heavy resort gear. Alway use wood glue with my screws, not epoxy. Its never perfect. All is holding well.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:27 am

Your "mistakes" don't sound significant to me. But- I do identify with your concern about them! I have a weird mixed tendency towards being a perfectionist...If it involves something I am passionate about- I can be a bit of an obsessive perfectionist!

Over the years I have both hand-measured and used various jigs.

Over the past couple of years I have doing my ski maintenance in my friend and neighbor's beautiful shop- complete with ski work bench. He has a very good 75mm metal jig that I have been using (as the screw configuration for NNNBC is the same as 75mm 3pin). I am not familiar with the new Rotte jig you described.

When I mounted my Eon wax last fall, I must have been gabbing away too much over a pint- I got home to notice that one of the heel screws wasn't completely seated. I didn't have time to fix it before getting the kids to bed...I couldn't sleep thinking about it. I got up at 3am to fix it!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

anemic

Post by anemic » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:41 am

Recently I read this document from Black Diamond and picked up several pointers that work for any tele installation and would help to answer some of your curiosity:

https://blackdiamondequipment.com/on/de ... _Specs.pdf
Call it Nordic Freeride

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:54 am

Yes, I've read that one in the past, and another by Voile, I think, or a similar company. I'm familiar with mounting, obviously I'm not a shop-tech, but realistically wondering if it's better to leave a slightly-less-than-perfect screw alone, or take it out, plug the hole with a hardwood plug, and re-drill in the same location.

If I take to heart everything WebMD has told me about this rash, I would have been dead of of Plutonium 238 poisoning by now. All my friends told me to use Gold Bond powder, and it went away. See the difference?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:57 am

I can understand perfectionism... I suffer a bit but then realism kicks and I realize I'm a fuckup :mrgreen: ;) so I deal with that...

My 0.02 is leave it be. Especially if you are planning to use them for a long Wilderness traverse. They are probably stronger from the first mount and will only weaken after being plugged and relocated. As for the difference in ski performance... ehhh... it's XCD. It isn't precise as it is. If you want precision, ski Alpine ;)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:58 am

Woodserson wrote: On one ski, one of the screws went in slightly crooked, ever so slightly, I can catch a fingernail on one side and see it visually if I look for it.
Don't know man- doesn't sound like a big issue...Are you concerned that the plug will be weaker?

Have used them before without any issues.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:00 am

lilcliffy wrote:Are you concerned that the plug will be weaker?

Have used them before without any issues.
Yes, and ok, noted.

GEO

Post by GEO » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:18 am

3 comments
1) many of us here may suffer from perfectionism..
2) http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1037 here is an unusual, but significant mounting mistake.
3) 3 pin holes can wear out over time, especially when screw jobs are ignored by users. Two new holes can be drilled & counter sunk to replace the single forward hole, & sweet old school bindings can be secured with 4 screws.

If you glued your slightly crooked screw, leace it & use with confidence, but keep a close eye on it.