Wax it!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Wax it!

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm really digging this resurgence of interest in waxable XCD skis that's going on here @ TTalk! The entire world has to hear about it, we're got to get the entire industry back on track and update date: we ski wax so we NEED waxables skis too! Fischer, Madshus, Rossignol & Friends, pull out your S-Bounds, your 10th Mountains, your BCs waxable once again!

This thread is to share you love, your interest and your tips about WAX & XCD!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Re: Wax it!

Post by athabascae » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:53 pm

Wax is where its at. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:02 pm

waxing gone bad! my blue E99's - swix red/silver hell. I kept needing to add more and more wax, by the time I got some grip, the glide felt like I had skins on….now I have to get it off!
IMG_0609.JPG
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Quit ruining the stoke! Just get some goo gone and/or turps and turn up the tunes and become ONE with your wax skis!

MOAR WAX SKIS NEEDED. AGREE

Wax skis is why I buy and use wooden CC skis... they are more plentiful, cheaper, and easier to find!!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Cannatonic wrote:waxing gone bad! my blue E99's - swix red/silver hell. I kept needing to add more and more wax, by the time I got some grip, the glide felt like I had skins on….now I have to get it off!
IMG_0609.JPG
Hey you supposed to be sharing the love of wax! Of course, waxless has its place, but not here! You teleing with those babies?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:31 pm

hey man, the love can't fade when waxing gets a little tricky - just showing my commitment! :lol: :lol:

Did an XC cruise last week on these, no turns yet, but I've done lots of tele on the waxless version of these. I'm hoping to do the same with these in colder snow. They work great for general XC too, much better than scales for dry snow. Trying to experiment with waxing in the 34-35 degree range. I want to try regular Red and not Red/Silver and see what happens, that's what Tman uses. This V60 seems too much like glue.
Last edited by Cannatonic on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm

Cannatonic wrote:hey man, the love can't fade when waxing gets a little tricky - just showing my commitment! :lol: :lol:

Did an XC cruise last week on these, no turns yet, but I've done lots of tele on the waxless version of these. I'm hoping to do the same with these in colder snow. They work great for general XC too, much better than scales for dry snow. Trying to experiment with waxing in the 34-35 degree range. I want to try regular Red and not Red/Silver and see what happens, that's what Tman uses.
For anything cold, I have had amazing results with the waxes that are blended with Pine Tar. They last longer and work under larger temperature variations. Rex has a nice line. their universal is AMAZING.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:41 pm

the pine tar universal looks cool, I've never seen Rex in stores in the US. The grip tape seems like a great idea for using the wax skis in spring.

http://www.rex.fi/en/gripwax/basic_grip_waxes

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:47 pm

Cannatonic wrote:the pine tar universal looks cool, I've never seen Rex in stores in the US. The grip tape seems like a great idea for using the wax skis in spring.

http://www.rex.fi/en/gripwax/basic_grip_waxes
Yes, they are unfortunaly as rare as "wide" waxable XCD skis...but just as precious! It's worth ordering online, and abroad if necessary! You will love the smell when waxing and as it lingers on in your ski room!

Maybe some will have better luck finding the Start line:

http://www.startskiwax.com/en/skiwaxes/ ... ct/538/red
Last edited by bgregoire on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:04 pm

looks like Akers in Maine carries Rex, will have to try the universal if it ever gets cold again!