NNN-BC Tele Technique

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

NNN-BC Tele Technique

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:17 pm

I know a lot of people on here aren't much interested in this, but maybe at some point you will be, but there is a difference between even plain pins and NNN-BC.

CIMA used to post a lot of different videos and a lot their technique showed keeping the rear heel low and flexing the boot to pressure the rear ski. This is seems to work quite well in harder conditions but I've noticed I have a lot of trouble in deep snow trying to do this. What seems to happen is as I'm trying to keep the boot flexed I get wobbly for some reason. The ski wants to roll side to side it feels. I've only ever really noticed in deep, heavier powder. With a base or lighter stuff it feels stable.

Anyway I was watching the WG video of those guys slaying on el cheapo skis, floppy boots and NNN bindings and I got to thinking I must be doing something wrong for them to make it look so easy for me to feel unstable in that snow.

To me, it looks like there are really just driving their knee into the dirt and not worrying about keeping the rear foot pressured. I supposed if you just wrench that boot forward it's going to drive pressure into the tip of the ski no matter what, and probably make the tail skid around easier.

[video][/video]

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: NNN-BC Tele Technique

Post by bgregoire » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:30 pm

Mike, before this thread goes off, cause i'm sure it will, have you validated that all the folks we are watching in this super video are actually on NNNBC bindings? Obviously some are, but I also saw cable bindings on other of the videos from the same gang. Might be a little hard to learn from those videos if we can't tell what they are riding?
Last edited by bgregoire on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:55 pm

Yeah the two guys I was watching in particular look to be on NNN. The guy with the Orange jacket and blue pants and another guy with a blue jacket and grey pants. They didn't have cables on that I could see.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Seems like an amazing place:

http://www.whitegrass.com/

How long ya reckon' they got snow cover there?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:06 pm

They had a good dump earlier this year and I think they just got hit again with this last storm we got.

Probably into March/April in a good year.

Going there for you would be like me going to the Chic-chocs. It's a long haul... I looked it up, it's about 7 hrs from my house. And I'm probably 11 from you :lol:

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:49 pm

They lost most of the snow from the "Big Dump" in during the "Big Warm Rain" that followed a week and a half later, 24"+ gone in an instant. The snow conditions page is updated... the website is updated throughout in spots... seems like a super cool vibe down there, with good ski culture. I dig.

What would it take to get CIMA back? The dude's energy for skiing was mesmerizing, stoke-worthy, and inspirational. I miss him!

In the meantime, I'm going to get some popcorn and see what happens here, and maybe watch this awesome vid again. (2:52 for.the.win.)

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Woodserson wrote:I'm going to get some popcorn and see what happens here
:lol: :lol: :lol: Me too.

Regardless of equipment, those boys and girls are having FUN; good times!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:16 pm

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:26 pm

MikeK wrote:To me, it looks like there are really just driving their knee into the dirt and not worrying about keeping the rear foot pressured. I supposed if you just wrench that boot forward it's going to drive pressure into the tip of the ski no matter what, and probably make the tail skid around easier.
Great skiing! That looks so fun...but IMO, they are riding the rear foot MORE than the front. You can't get that type of turning power without lots of weight on the rear. Look at the dude at :44 thru :55...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:23 am

Yeah, yeah... could be true they riding the rear ski more.

Question is if you try to flex the boot or the flexor. If you've been tele'ing on NNN-BC you now what I mean.

Next deep snow NNN I do I'm going to try less boot flex.