Meier Norheim Telemark Ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Meier Norheim Telemark Ski

Post by JohnSKepler » Thu May 16, 2024 11:08 am

I like to peruse the sales at the end of the season and came across the Meier Norheim ski, "Thoughtfully designed by telemark skiers, our telemark skis are handmade in Denver, Colorado by skiers, for skiers."

They go on to cite some glowing qualities as well as some tele specific specs.

I've not been able to find any reviews of this ski. Does anyone know anything about it? Maybe it'd help me turn right. :lol:
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Tele Czar
Ski style: Telemark, Alpine, and everything in between
Favorite Skis: Hmmmmmm. . .
Favorite boots: TX pro

Re: Meier Norheim Telemark Ski

Post by Tele Czar » Tue May 21, 2024 8:52 pm

Meier Norheim review -
Skier - 45 years telemark, 5'7", 195#
Setup - 175 cm Meier Norheim, Meidjo 3.0 mounted boot center, Scarpa TX Pro

First impressions - The ski is nicely made, with a translucent top sheet that shows off the wood core. Base, sidewall, and edges seem top quality. Ski has some heft, 25% heavier than the Summit Cone Outcast 106C or the Icelantic Natural 111, though it is only 98mm.

The snow was soft machine tilled with some refrozen corn and wind pack off piste, typical spring stuff at Timberline Ski Area, Oregon.

Right out of the box, the skiis were fast and intuitive. It took less than one run to get oriented. They accelerate and track straight with no wandering, and at the top end, feel completely planted, smooth, and confident. No matter how fast I pushed, the Norheim simply jetted forward, absorbing everything. Where it the corn or till was deep enough to float the entire 98mm, the ski felt locked in, with no slarving or scrape. Bodes well for the pow.

Turn initiation was medium quick and very predictable. The ski is much quicker to edge than the 20 meter sidecut might indicate. It responds to telemark inputs with no overturning or stubbornness, simply takes an arc and holds it. As advertised, tip bonking is practically nil, and the skis track parallel in all kinds of turn radii. That asymmetrical edge gives them a natural stance and separation in the turn, reminiscent of the Scotty Bob Headrush. The want to telemark, unlike most of the alpine skis I have used for telemark.

The default turn is a medium long arc, and if pushed, can quickly tighten to tree-worthy tightness. It is a medium stiff ski, not a noodle. While skiiing, I was thinking, "this is an all mountain carver, but it initiates and transitions like a narrower or softer ski." For a while I had Blizzard Brahmas mounted telemark and these Norheims are every bit as powerful, but much friendlier to initiate and modulate in the turns. In the crud and refrozen junk, where the turns were loud and crunchy, the ski had no chatter or washout, just solid edge and unflappable directional stability.

I'm looking forward to getting these into some other conditions - windslab, powder, chunder, but it may need to wait for next season. I will do and update review once I have more days on it. At least initially, I'm happy with the ski.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Re: Meier Norheim Telemark Ski

Post by JohnSKepler » Wed May 22, 2024 6:50 pm

@Tele Czar, thanks for that comprehensive review!
Veni, Vidi, Viski