Fischer E-109 vs. Asnes Ingstad

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: Fischer E-109 vs. Asnes Ingstad

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:24 am

It's the whole weight craze for every bit of outdoor gear.

As Americans get fatter we need to shave grams off our gear to compensate for the pounds around our waist...

But seriously I think they are just looking for every little edge to sell a new ski in a small and somewhat crowded market.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:09 pm

I wouldn't call the E99 "new" and there is a balance between weight and functionality for sure. All my hobbies are outdoor based, some of the lightweight stuff is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and then there's crap like the ExtraLite E99s that is supposed to be an expedition ski that I won't take across the Pemi. Diminishing returns, and letting the little head think instead of the big head, in a way.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Woodserson wrote:I wouldn't call the E99 "new" and there is a balance between weight and functionality for sure. All my hobbies are outdoor based, some of the lightweight stuff is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and then there's crap like the ExtraLite E99s that is supposed to be an expedition ski that I won't take across the Pemi. Diminishing returns, and letting the little head think instead of the big head, in a way.
Exactly my point though. The E99 is old news. It's their way of reinventing it I think.

Lightweight has to meet the demands of durability as well. For example I like to use boats. There are plenty of very, very lightweight boats out there, but only a few I'd actually take on a long wilderness trip.

Sometimes I don't know WTH Fischer is thinking, but when they do it right they make some nice stuff. The old E99 I had were awesome built skis. If they had the current waxless pattern they would have been even better. Fischer did make a few years of them with that pattern and non-xtralite. That's what my 89s are, and they seem like a really solid ski.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Cannatonic wrote:I could not resist the Asnes spring sale at Neptune last year - I went with the Gamme 54 - 210's - basically the Asnes version of the E99. (at some point in spring all the Asnes skis they have left go on sale)
I don't think I'm going to be able to resist this now that I know... I think I'll need to get a pair of grey man skis for next year. And a pair of Crispi Svartisen NNN to go with ;) :D

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Mike - I think the sale prices started in March last year, best to keep an eye on the Neptune website. those Dynastar have thick metal sheets in them, one is broken, no way I'm ever getting on them again, I won't be age 22 and going 80 mph anytime soon!

totally agree on the lightweight-ization of skis, which happened to alpine skis too. I always check the thickness of the edges, since that's what blows out & breaks down first for me. Light weight feels good to ski, they turn quickly so people buy them. Then they break down faster and the companies get to sell another pair. We're all skiing on rocks at some point! I'll take thicker edges any day, I will definitely look to Asnes the next time I buy skis.

the problem with Asnes is they never appear for 70% off on ebay or Craigslist, where I do most of my shopping
Last edited by Cannatonic on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Cannatonic wrote: the problem with Asnes is they never appear for 70% off on ebay or Craigslist, where I do most of my shopping
Neither in Norway and Sweden, that is how good they are! :lol:
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:23 pm

Yeah, sometimes quality has a price.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:28 pm

since this is turning into a asnes love-fest here are more pics - look at the edges - from left to right - Sbound 78, Asnes G54, old E99. note the thickness and also the Asnes edge covers the tip:
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:31 pm

(Drool)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:35 pm

Steel is real.