Fischer E-109 vs. Asnes Ingstad

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: Fischer E-109 vs. Asnes Ingstad

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Had the same series E99 as you Can:

I thought they were a fairly stiff ski. The only thing close to being as stiff I have is the E89.

I didn't like the mountain crown scales - great glide, not so great grip... typical for a negative pattern.

Have you skied the Asnes yet?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Cannatonic wrote: The Asnes edges are much thicker than Fischer.

I have to say one reason I did not consider the Ingstad is the graphics - black-and-white Ingstad staring at you all day might be a little creepy! But my choice would be Asnes if you can get them for the same price as Fischer. They are a more solid, durable ski
Expect the E109xlites to be ever thinner than the E99xlites. I agree in terms of the better durability of Asnes skis. My E99 xlites broke to bits after 750km of backpacking and pulking.

Now you have Gamme the dreadhead looking at you instead of Ingstad. How is that any better? :)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:29 pm

bgregoire wrote: Expect the E109xlites to be ever thinner than the E99xlites. I agree in terms of the better durability of Asnes skis. My E99 xlites broke to bits after 750km of backpacking and pulking.
It's like anything UL these days... boats, backpacks, skis... expect them to be a bit more fragile.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:05 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Right now I am looking at the Alfa Quest Advance and the Ingstad...with the weakness of the Canadian dollar it is actually a little less expensive to buy them from the supplier in QC- then to order them from Norway.
Lifcliff, have you made contact with the Canadian Alfa distributor? Vendors here in QC do not have the Advance in 75mm. I would like to figure out if he can order/special order a pair for me!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Yes- I have contacted LaCordee directly- and they will special order in both Alfa and Asnes products.

They gave me a quote on the Quest Advance NNNBC, and the 75mm, before they had the NNNBC in stock. The price they quoted me (for both models) is the same as advertised on the website. $$$$$!!!!!

MAN- I want a pair- bad...they have my size in stock- 42EU- I just cannot justify the price at the moment!
Last edited by lilcliffy on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Cannatonic wrote:I could not resist the Asnes spring sale at Neptune last year - I went with the Gamme 54 - 210's -
Yeah- have you tried the Gamme 54 out yet? What boot/binding are you going to use?

STG

Post by STG » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:10 pm

Great explanation of the physics of the skis/skiing from Mikek and Bgregoire. Can't add much to the discussion. What boots and bindings would you use, lilcliffy? Would that impact your buying decision?

Cannatonic--funny comment about not wanting to look at the graphics on the Ingstad. I had the same reaction. I love the graphis on the Breidablikk. I could look at that dog all day long. The ski has no metal edges but since I seek out powder/soft snow they might work for me?

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:30 pm

STG wrote: I love the graphis on the Breidablikk. I could look at that dog all day long. The ski has no metal edges but since I seek out powder/soft snow they might work for me?
I highly recommend metal edges on anything that wide in the backcountry, or most any backcountry ski really. Those types of larger skis (Breidablikk, but fisher also make something similar for the scandinavian market) are made specifically for ski-joring or hunting fowl with dogs.When your ski-joring, your going fast in a straight line in mostly hardpack snow. You see, metal edges can induce nasty cuts of dog legs, so you just have to live without them to avoid hurting them, even though you would have more control with, its somewhat of a necessary precaution. If your bush-wacking thick snow and hopefulyt even gliding down a hill sometimes, you will NOT always find perfect fluff, you will have crud and all kind or stuff that will have you wishing you had Ingstad's steel.

Besides, it could be worse. it could be the....REVEREND!
download.jpeg

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:52 pm

At the moment strongly considering NNNBC...the most powerful NNNBC boot I currently have is the Alaska...

I could go with 3-pin-cable as well- but I no longer have a "light-duty" 75mm boot (I have replaced them with NNNBC)- I now only have plastic 75mm boots (T4) that are more than I would want for most of my use with these skis...

So- probably NNNBC= XC-focused XCD

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:58 pm

lilcliffy wrote:At the moment strongly considering NNNBC...the most powerful NNNBC boot I currently have is the Alaska...

I could go with 3-pin-cable as well- but I no longer have a "light-duty" 75mm boot (I have replaced them with NNNBC)- I now only have plastic 75mm boots (T4) that are more than I would want for most of my use with these skis...

So- probably NNNBC= XC-focused XCD
Man, I would definitely go 75mm on an Ingstad or even E109. But that's just me! Aren't you talking of buying a new pair of Alaskas? Could be an opportunity to renew with trad gear? :)