Front skins with kicker skins instead of full length... anyone tried this?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Re: Front skins with kicker skins instead of full length... anyone tried this?

Post by Jurassien » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:39 am

If you’re on Hardangervidda right now and you can read this, it will soon be time to batten down the hatches.
Finse 21.Feb.png
17 m/s is 61 kph and just short of Beaufort 8 – not ideal for hanging out the washing.

If it were me, I’d already be making a dash for the nearest haven.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:11 am

Jurassien wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:39 am
If you’re on Hardangervidda right now and you can read this, it will soon be time to batten down the hatches.

17 m/s is 61 kph and just short of Beaufort 8 – not ideal for hanging out the washing.

Bonjour Jura (bonjura?), I'll see you, and raise you 4 m/s! This is up in the Narvik mountains I hope it is calmer in the next couple of weeks when I head up that-a-ways. It is also exceedingly warm for Feb.!!!!! Normally -10 to -20 C with a few much colder days and nights. This is about 75 KPH (or +/- 50 mph for metric laggard countries).
Hunddal.png

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:51 am

Crayefish wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:00 am
One doesn't learn and improve when things are easy or going well. I'd rather be well versed with crap conditions in southern Norway than discover a deficiency somewhere significantly more remote, such as Greenland. I'll have no control over the weather regardless; I can only control my preparations and experience.

If you hear about a Dutch guy getting blown around Hardangervidda then it won't be me ;) However, it's if a Brit being kept awake at night due to the incessant flapping of his tunnel tent (my Keron is not conducive to good sleep in a storm), then that could well be me.

Enjoy your tour as well.
Hi Cray, This wind guide is from the survival-training facilitator of the Swedish arctic-troops:

0-3 meters per second: Light Breeze. (<7mph)
Barely noticeable

4-8 meters per second: Moderate Wind. (9 to 18mph)
The wind can be clearly felt. Risk of cold injuries to bare skin. Loose snow is swirled into snow drifts.

9-13 meters per second: Fresh Breeze. (20-30mph)
Difficult to ski into the wind. Face must be fully protected (googles, etc.). Snowdrifts can = 2 meters. With hard snow the drift is dense and low close to the ground which causes ground contours to disappear. The leader should consider safer alternatives- for most people this is the limit of being able to enjoy a ski-tour.

14-20 meters per second: Hard Wind. (31 to 44 mph)
Causes important navigational difficulties. High snowdrifts lower the visibility to a few hundred meters max. Difficult to a keep a group together. Standing upright on skis can be difficult. Most people experience this wind as a "storm".

21-24 meters per second: Half-Storm. (46 to 54 mph)
Wind and snowdrifts make it impossible to travel on skis even when the wind is behind you. Very difficult to walk in the wind, even when it is with you. Visibility non-existent. Navigation almost impossible. Danger of skiing into/off-of unseen or misconstrued obstacles/terrain-traps (cliffs, holes, crevasses, weak ice, etc.). Highly recommended to seek or dig shelter.

25 meter per second and greater: Full-Storm (>54 mph)
The safe option is to shelter indoors or under the snow surface in a shelter (snow-cave, etc.). The surest way to move forward is by crawling.

Not to mention the corresponding avalanche risk from wind-blown snow.

God tur!

Jurassien

Post by Jurassien » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:24 am

randoskier wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:11 am
Bonjour Jura (bonjura?), I'll see you, and raise you 4 m/s!
…….and I’ll raise you on your forecast 0.9mm precipitation to 21mm. In “normal” circumstances (i.e. dry snow, less wind) that would equate to 21cm snow – so the Honourable Member Crayefish will have a bit of shovelling to do overnight.
Finse 22.02.png
SnowAvy warning.png

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:34 pm

Jurassien wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:24 am
randoskier wrote:
Bonjour Jura (bonjura?), I'll see you, and raise you 4 m/s!
…….and I’ll raise you on your forecast 0.9mm precipitation to 21mm. In “normal” circumstances (i.e. dry snow, less wind) that would equate to 21cm snow – so the Honourable Member Crayefish will have a bit of shovelling to do overnight.

SnowAvy warning.png
Yeah, you think I'm bluffing ?
Untitled22.jpg

Jurassien

Post by Jurassien » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:36 pm

randoskier wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:34 pm
Bluffing, no; misreading, yes. I was referring to precipitation (Nedbør on the yr-chart), not wind. The update for Finse has revised the 21mm downwards to 15mm, and the wind upwards from 16 m/s to 18 m/s.

Whichever way it turns out our intrepid gentleman traveller is unlikely to get a decent night’s sleep. The worst of it shouldl all be over by the early hours of Saturday though, so I think we can count on hearing from him again.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:33 am

Jurassien wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:36 pm
randoskier wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:34 pm

Whichever way it turns out our intrepid gentleman traveller is unlikely to get a decent night’s sleep. The worst of it shouldl all be over by the early hours of Saturday though, so I think we can count on hearing from him again.
Can't keep a good man down!

Crayefish
Ski style: Pulk hauling and Alpine
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gammes
Favorite boots: Alfa Outbacks

Post by Crayefish » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:02 am

Hello folks! Some fun posts in my absence :)

I've returned after 3 weeks solo in Hardangervidda. It was great fun and a few challenges (which I enjoyed overcoming... its what I revel in to be honest. When shit hits the fan, I get powered up).

I encountered 5 storms during my time... Two I had to set the tent up during (measured wind speed 90 kph), while another turned 90 deg during the night (forecast didn't predict that) so hit my Keron 3 side on. It did bust open & split a tent zip but the tent held firm with the double poles, despite making a crazy shape. Testament to Hilleberg! Didn't sleep much that night while trying to build a snow wall (didn't have great success as the wind destroyed much of it as built). Wind was strong enough to blow me over a few times!

I also broke both ski poles (snapped one and broke both flicklocks... my duct tape repairs lasted the duration, but never buying Asnes poles again), fell through a double ice layer (got out ok and stayed dry), spent about 1.5 weeks in a total whiteout navigating just by compass (downhills were sketchy as fuck) and saw only one pair of people during the entire time. Marvellous!

The worst part was the snow though... First week was deep, sticky & wet snow which made pulling the pulk feel like dragging it through treacle. Exhausting! Temps ranged from -25 to +2 deg C. Far too many warm days for my liking (often -5 C). Moisture management was a challenge as a result and all my VBLs didn't work as well as intended.

On the subject of the front skins... they were a dream! Definitely sticking with the system in the future. It was great when a steep uphill was encountered to just slap them on and not mess with my main X-skins. I can highly recommend to others. I was able to pull up to 70 kgs of pulk up some decent slopes with them. More hills than I expected though admittedly! Did 3.3 kms of ascent in total.

Overall, pretty tough but I loved it. Learned a lot about dealing with high winds, setting up the tent in a storm and really honed my routines by the end. Happy to back at the hotel for warm showers, fresh food and plenty of beer though!

Crayefish

Post by Crayefish » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:20 am

20240227173320_IMG_3514.JPG
20240218174731_IMG_3114.JPG
20240225121738_IMG_3396.JPG
20240222150619_IMG_3238.JPG
20240225140303_IMG_3442.JPG
Below photo taken the next morning towards the end of the storm that turned 90 deg and bust open my zip. Managed to make a temporary repair the next day with patience and frozen saliva! Flysheet will need to go back to Hilleberg for repair though.
20240228083554_IMG_3522.JPG
20240222175110_IMG_3259~01.jpg
Last edited by Crayefish on Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crayefish

Post by Crayefish » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:45 am

randoskier wrote:
Jurassien wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:39 am

Bonjour Jura (bonjura?), I'll see you, and raise you 4 m/s! This is up in the Narvik mountains I hope it is calmer in the next couple of weeks when I head up that-a-ways. It is also exceedingly warm for Feb.!!!!! Normally -10 to -20 C with a few much colder days and nights. This is about 75 KPH (or +/- 50 mph for metric laggard countries).
Just checked the dates and that was one of the nights I had to put my tent up in it! Also the evening I measured the wind speed at 90 kph in the photo before setting up the tent. Was pretty happy to get inside the tent after that as was quite the effort, but satisfying. And yes, even ear plugs didn't help with the noise much.