All purpose backcountry/bushwack ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: All purpose backcountry/bushwack ski

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:01 pm

I have a pair of Outback 68's I got on a super deal, and I can't find any E99s this time of year. They are great for snowmobile trails and whacking around, especially if you are lighter. I would put my wife on something like this for example (we are far more XCd-- nording backcountry touring). They work for me now, with softer granular snow conditions, and well packed trails, but not ideal for a long BC tour.
Edit: I like the 68s over the 65 due to the sintered base, and they *seemed* and I was *told* that they are stiffer and have more camber than the Rossi 65s... YMMV

That video is pretty much on spot. What a terrible video. Might as well be on snowshoes.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:54 am

Fischer Base = nice, no matter what ski.

More camber and stiffer than Rossi BC65/70 = not my experience.

ddg

Post by ddg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:16 am

MikeK wrote:What size Annum you after?

I'll sell my 185cm set with a new set of 3pc if you are interested.

No idea what the shipping would be and you'd probably have to plug the old holes and remount the bindings. PM me for more details, pics, whatever...
Thanks MikeK. Probably looking for shorter but will let you know if I change my mind.
Derrick

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:23 am

I hear you. Just a quick note, Rottefella's site recommends a 190cm backcountry ski for your height and weight. I think you could have issues with a stiffer ski and not being heavy enough to flex it, but the Annum is SUPER soft. Being a 6'er, it might feel weird skiing a 175cm ski - I'm 5'-10" and even with a modern, shaped alpine ski I was using a 179cm.

ddg

Post by ddg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks Mike. So noted.
Derrick

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:56 am

NP - take your time, figure things out, etc... I don't have much use for my Annums for what I do and the snow we get here, so I'll probably list them sometime next year if someone here doesn't want them.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Woodserson wrote:I have a pair of Outback 68's I got on a super deal, and I can't find any E99s this time of year. They are great for snowmobile trails and whacking around, especially if you are lighter. I would put my wife on something like this for example (we are far more XCd-- nording backcountry touring). They work for me now, with softer granular snow conditions, and well packed trails, but not ideal for a long BC tour.
Edit: I like the 68s over the 65 due to the sintered base, and they *seemed* and I was *told* that they are stiffer and have more camber than the Rossi 65s... YMMV
I was told that the Rossi 68 was simply a rebranded Fischer E99 tour, probably the pre xtralite version and perhaps made with slightly inferior material to offer a better price point. The dealer said they were made in the same factory as the E99s somewhere on the old continent.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:40 pm

I think he was comparing the Fischer OTX68 and the Rossi BC65?

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:16 pm

If you want to go long/double camber, here's what I would buy:

http://www.neptunemountaineering.com/as ... ski-540261

IMO Fischer lightened up the E99 too much in 2013, edges are now thin and fragile, and as someone said the new fishscale pattern is too long and slow, I would grab these Asnes in 210 instead. The attachable kicker skins looks to be way better than Black Diamond's kickers too. They say the skin fits within the wax pocket so glide is still good.

here's an even better deal, 200cm E109's on sale:

http://www.backcountry.com/fischer-e109 ... COL-S170CM
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:05 pm

Ahhh....Asnes...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.