Fischer Profoil

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Fischer Profoil

Post by Johnny » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:51 am

That sounds pretty cool (For skin lovers... : )
What do you think? Kind of like Voile Snake Skins no? I hope they'll do a kicker version...

[video][/video]

[video][/video]
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Fischer Profoil

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:28 am

Isn't the whole point of a full ski skin to provide you with the best climbing traction possible? I doubt that this could be as good on the up as mohair. What do you think? And why not leave space for the metal edges? They might be very useful during a traverse on ice. Well, guess we will have to wait until someone tries them out. If weight is the issue and your willing to loose some uphill traction compare to a full skin, wouldn't those skinny skins of the past (15-20mm width full length) do the job?
Last edited by bgregoire on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 pm

^^^^
I didn't look at the website, but I would think they could be trimmed to fit. Hotknife?
They would be a major disaster on ice/crust.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

mariusshobo

Post by mariusshobo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:13 pm

I like that.
But covering the edges with plastic sounds bad :o
Maybe I'm missing something...

gfwp

Post by gfwp » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:53 pm

@ short kicker lovers

look here, I mean the last two skis of the list.

http://www.fischersports.com/no/Nordic/ ... i/Fjellski

Apparently Fischer is adding more models to the Easy Skin line. I already own the E99 easyskin (on the market since
autumn 2014) but I just discovered that the E109 Easy Skin version is coming soon, provided (sounds really good) with 50 mm integrated kickers.

Have ski fun, volks !

gfwp

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:55 pm

Yeah I don't get the point of covering the edges... Maybe they're too advanced for us...

The "Crown" pattern looks pretty cool. I can almost feel how it would grip to have this everywhere under my skis.

It all depends of the weight I think. If it's super light, I'll be totally into it. I can't stand skins, they add too much weight. That would be a cool way to turn any ski into a waxless ski...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:44 pm

gfwp wrote:@ short kicker lovers

Apparently Fischer is adding more models to the Easy Skin line. I already own the E99 easyskin (on the market since
autumn 2014) but I just discovered that the E109 Easy Skin version is coming soon, provided (sounds really good) with 50 mm integrated kickers.

gfwp
Asnes from Norway are the originators of the integrated half-skin clip system. They make a badass ski too. All their XC skis have the integrated system.

http://www.asnes.com/ski/
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

gfwp

Post by gfwp » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:55 am

bgregoire wrote:
Asnes from Norway are the originators of the integrated half-skin clip system. They make a badass ski too. All their XC skis have the integrated system.

http://www.asnes.com/ski/
Of course, but Asnes are:

1) Extremely expensive
2) Pretty difficoult to buy and not so spread

It looks like Fischer is going to kick Asnes out of market (or thy try it). I hope they'll not succeed, but some competition on the market will improve the products.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:31 am

gfwp wrote:
It looks like Fischer is going to kick Asnes out of market (or thy try it). I hope they'll not succeed, but some competition on the market will improve the products.
Yeah, the easy skin is a direct attempt at Asnes and a welcomed one considering Asnes are not really available outside of Scandinavia (except for a few dedicated outfitters). However, I don't think Fischer will kick Asnes out. Everyone in Norway skis and they are a proud people. Almost everyone there has at least one pair of Asnes. Besides, Fischer skis are also very expensive in Norway and Sweden for some reason and the price difference is not really that much there. My guess at best is that they will slow down Asnes intent on selling abroad, if it even has such an intent. And that is too bad as Asnes skis are definitely a better backcountry ski company IMHO.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:59 pm

bgregoire wrote:
gfwp wrote:
Yeah, the easy skin is a direct attempt at Asnes and a welcomed one considering Asnes are not really available outside of Scandinavia (except for a few dedicated outfitters). However, I don't think Fischer will kick Asnes out. Everyone in Norway skis and they are a proud people. Almost everyone there has at least one pair of Asnes. Besides, Fischer skis are also very expensive in Norway and Sweden for some reason and the price difference is not really that much there. My guess at best is that they will slow down Asnes intent on selling abroad, if it even has such an intent. And that is too bad as Asnes skis are definitely a better backcountry ski company IMHO.
Ok, I think I let my passion take over again and diverted the discussion. Back to Profoil...if anybody else cares...