What’s up with Asnes skis?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
DG99

What’s up with Asnes skis?

Post by DG99 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:43 pm

I was seeing some threads mentioning Asnes skis, so I checked their web site. Rather confusing and intriguing. The Nordic BC skis come in a plethora of variations on the skinny theme so hard to get a handle.

I’m more used to the standard Fischer and similar waxless skis, with an easy to understand spectrum from wider, more side cut, less camber for off trail and downhill, and narrower, more camber, less sidecut for trails and kick and glide.

The Asnes has waxless and not, no edges for skiing with your dog, rocker sometimes, more or less sidecut etc. camber. Anyone care to make sense of the multivariate spectrum?

Also, anyone have a picture of the Asnes “Nordic rocker” in side view? I remember when Fischer started advertising Nordic rocker but I found there really wasn’t any rocker i.e. tip splay to speak of really. Nothing at all like on downhill powder skis!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: What’s up with Asnes skis?

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:20 pm

You need one of each, sometimes in multiple sizes.

There are hundreds of threads answering your questions, every model is reviewed ad nauseum in the Review subforum. Google is a better search engine than what is on this forum, just plug in: site:telemarktalk.com with your query and watch the Asnes tsunami roll into your eyes.

Do you have an addictive personality? Do you like XC BC skiing? Stop asking questions and leave this forum forever if you value your financial stability.

First one is free

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:36 pm

+1 to @Woodserson!

Seriously — asking such questions is the first step onto a slippery slope.
From my own experience, I would say there is no free lunch on this one.
Read / ponder / read more / draw conclusions / revise previous conclusions / read more / learn to read between the lines / …

Asnes offer a lot of different skis, each one better at a certain subset of conditions than the others. Some are more general purpose (Nansen?), some are more narrowly focused.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:44 pm

Stephen, didn't we have a thread breaking them all down in order?

Also the Nordic Rocker question is difficult to answer. Every ski has different levels of rocker depending on the application.

These are first class skis, man.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:52 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:20 pm
You need one of each, sometimes in multiple sizes.

There are hundreds of threads answering your questions, every model is reviewed ad nauseum in the Review subforum. Google is a better search engine than what is on this forum, just plug in: site:telemarktalk.com with your query and watch the Asnes tsunami roll into your eyes.

Do you have an addictive personality? Do you like XC BC skiing? Stop asking questions and leave this forum forever if you value your financial stability.

First one is free
@Woodserson you forgot to mention the most important point... if you have a partner just be aware that a serious case of Asnes fever can lead to serious marital problems :shock: . But I am fine :D

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:59 pm

The trick is to get enough so that your partner doesn't know what's in and what's out. It becomes a blur, overwhelming the senses so that they just throw up their hands in resignation.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:17 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:59 pm
The trick is to get enough so that your partner doesn't know what's in and what's out. It becomes a blur, overwhelming the senses so that they just throw up their hands in resignation.
But the thing is that we kind of share the same credit card so it's hard to hide whatever I am buying :lol: But there is hope... I think I found a cure for my addiction or i like to think so as I returned the MR48 skin to the store and I have resisted so far from buying the waxable version from SportAlbert as I can't bring myself to pay over 200$ to ship from Germany.

As for the OP @DG99 , I second Woods proposition to do a Google search because most of the links will lead you to TTalk anyway. Or just post a question in a new thread and there will be plenty of TTalkers that will answer the original question and then for sure, someone will pops in an derail the thread to a completely different subject :!:

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:32 pm

Prob the best response to the OP
Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:34 am
This is a self-radicalising Åsnes cult site. Get out now, while you have the chance, before you order a pair of three metre long wooden shoes named after a Norwegian who died of frostbite.

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:41 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:32 pm
Prob the best response to the OP
Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:34 am
This is a self-radicalising Åsnes cult site. Get out now, while you have the chance, before you order a pair of three metre long wooden shoes named after a Norwegian who died of frostbite.

Oh man, that made laugh. I hadn’t been active on this site for a while until this fall. And now I have a new pair of Asnes (well, two, but it’s complicated).

DG99

Post by DG99 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:46 pm

Oh my, you guys sound like you have some sort of syndrome!!!

:lol:

I’m just curious ! Too bad the Asnes website isn’t more organized or something.

If someone has a picture of the Asnes rocker splay would be interesting. You take a picture of the skis decambered side by side.

Here is the tip splay on my Voile Vectors:
3992E837-2C0C-49AA-86AB-B5A0FA33CEB1.jpeg
Here is Fischer Outback 68, Nordic rocker, seems pretty subtle
386AC400-5062-4E90-A4E3-C2D678B0214D.jpeg