Åsnes Fjellski MT 65 (aka "Coleman's Special") Skis, Alico Ski-March Boots, USMC Ski Documents 1991

The ultimate telemark knowledge base and encyclopedia. All you need to know about free-heel skiing. History, technical terms, glossary, how-to's and tips. Just the facts, no opinions. Your #1 place to start for everything tele.
fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Åsnes Fjellski MT 65 (aka "Coleman's Special") Skis, Alico Ski-March Boots, USMC Ski Documents 1991

Post by fgd135 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 am

For this still very popular and very inexpensive touring ski--here are official USMC documents for the MT 65, the Åsnes skis currently sold by Coleman's Surplus, and the Alico Ski-March boots. I found these documents a while back but I don't believe I have posted this information before. Also has stats on the NATO 120 bindings, which is the binding that fits those predrilled holes in the skis, and some other perhaps not as useful stuff. Has costs, numbers procured, etc.
It is especially interesting to note the price projections by the USMC for this gear : $145 a pair for the skis, a whopping $350 a pair for the Alico Ski March and $65 for the bindings. Current retail prices are ridiculously cheap, last I checked the skis were 2 pair for $30 USD and the boots in new condition via Ebay UK were coming to the US at well under a C Note. Only the bindings retain any retail values, the pair I saw for sale recently was about $100...but this is not a modern binding design so has limited appeal.
At the time, these skis were current military issue in Norway and Great Britain, and possibly other European nations.
I worked for Alpine Research in Boulder, CO. We manufactured the ski poles, and a variation of the updated assault snowshoe cited in this document.
First, the shipping label for the skis; the ski contractor was US based, purchased the skis in Norway, and had them shipped to the USMC, a typical US Government arrangement. Norsk also supplied the NATO 120M bindings.
Btw, Norsk Enterprises is the company that sold those big heavy Karhu skis to the US Army, which I think are still for sale on Ebay for about $30 a pair. Terribly heavy things with cheap foam cores.
Asnes MT65 shipping label.jpg
Here is the 6 page USMC document--pages 2 and 3 have the ski data:
MOMS-1.jpg
MOMS2.jpg
MOMS3.jpg
MOMS4.jpg
MOMS6.jpg
MOMS5.jpg
MOMS6.jpg
Last edited by fgd135 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 13 times in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Åsnes MT 65 USMC Ski Documents M.O.M.S. 1991

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:36 am

Thank you for taking the time to post this!
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fgd135

Re: Åsnes MT 65 USMC Ski Documents M.O.M.S. 1991

Post by fgd135 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:02 pm

I just found an additional hard copy document in my old work files which is too long to reproduce here, titled:
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
Mountain Warfare Training Center
Bridgeport, California 93517-5001
COLD WEATHER MEDICINE COURSE

Document dated 10/2001, contains good additional information on the MT65, the Alico Ski March and those odd NATO 120 bindings, among other aspects, which is directed at cold weather survival and medical care.
33 pages.
If you would like a copy, look right here on the interwebs:
https://www.militarynewbie.com/wp-conte ... Course.pdf

Cheers!
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Bode Toad
Ski style: BC Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad 205 cm; Voile Objective 178 cm
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska 75mm; Scarpa T2

Re: Åsnes MT 65 (aka "Coleman's Special") Skis, Alico Ski-March Boots, USMC Ski Documents 1991

Post by Bode Toad » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:42 am

Your background information on the Asnes ski (MT 65) has been helpful and prompts me to ask for suggestions on waxing that model and the waxable Voile Objective (178 cm with Traverse 75 mm bindings; Alpina Alaska 75 mm boots). My understanding of waxing options is outdated and I am close to starting with a clean slate. Marmot and the other traditional tuning shops have withdrawn from our local market, and the less established survivors are reluctant to take on anything but waxless skis.

I will use the Asnes (210 cm) to do light touring near Lake Tahoe, usually with my girlfriend, who is a strong downhill skier. (She is 5'5" and 125; I am 5'10" and 190; it has been several years since I did xc and I only did Alpine a few times when my kids were starting). My goal is to see her move beyond the track and groomed trails (leaving her Fischer E99 Crowns behind), into meadows and easy hills. The first question is what are my best options for the base wax for the Asnes 210s.

Left to my own devices, I would use the Swix products that I ordered from Colorado today (the local shops have slim pickens). Until those products arrive, I am in trial and error mode. I took out of mothballs a pair of Bonnar 2500s (200 cm and wood base) and ironed on a base of Wend "Universal 10 degrees F to 40 F." First I scraped and cleaned (Wintersteiger Citrus) the old base. Then dripped, ironed, scraped, brushed and corked the Bonnar twice. I have not decided what to do for kick wax and it will be at least two weeks before that guinea pig can be tested in the field.

In the meantime, the Asnes will arrive and I will install Voile Mountaineer 75 mm bindings. Cleaning and rebuilding the wax base will be my next project--recommendations are welcome!

Thereafter, I will need to install the Traverse bindings and wax the new (fully waxable) Objective 178s. I will use them to tour as well, without skins, with light telemarking. I will also join my girlfriend on the lifts and plod down, in and around the groomed runs (I do not plan to use the Asnes 210s for that). Again, suggestions for waxing the Objectives are more than welcome.

Thanks much in advance. This site is refreshingly helpful.

Bode Toad

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Åsnes MT 65 (aka "Coleman's Special") Skis, Alico Ski-March Boots, USMC Ski Documents 1991

Post by fisheater » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:54 pm

Hello Bode,
I hope you're not planning on putting your 125 lb girlfriend on 210 USGI skis, when she has an E-99 that fits her well enough to track ski with. I have a Gamme 54 in 210, I also have a USGI in 200. While I would expect a performance increase with a 210 USGI, and certain conditions where it may be better than the Gamme, such as deep snow trailbreaking. Your girlfriend's E-99 is the right size, I think she would be light for the 200 cm USGI I have.
Now if you're just going to be her touring partner that is awesome! Don't worry. hang out hear long enough and you'll be offered lot's of helpful suggestions if your girlfriend needs a more downhill friendly touring ski!
I didn't mention originally, the Gamme and E-99 are similar in class.
I also did respond to your waxing question in the other forum.
Welcome!

Bode Toad
Ski style: BC Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad 205 cm; Voile Objective 178 cm
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska 75mm; Scarpa T2

Post by Bode Toad » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:05 pm

Fisheater:

Thank you for the thoughtful advice. Colemans is sending over two sets of the Asnes: 200 cm and 210 cm (you probably guessed). Each will receive the Voile Mountaineer binding. The experiment will be whether my able companion likes the 200 cm waxable Asnes (she is buying the Swix Polar in Boulder as this is being written). If not, we will fall back to veteran Tua 205 cm waxless, which is better off track than the E99s. If the Tuas are too much, then the E99s win out with her. Who knows, maybe she will like the Bonna 200 cm all-wood, no steel (a long shot).

If the two sets of Asnes are not meant to coexist, one set will be housed in California and the other in Colorado (for my use with the Alpina Alaska 75 mms).

My companion and I have already discussed your points by phone. More to come. Thanks again.

fgd135

Post by fgd135 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:59 am

Mr. Toad,
I'm not sure if I understood your remarks, but fwiw, a 125lb person is way too light for that MT65 in 200 CM, unless carrying a hugely heavy pack, and would've even been possibly too light for the 190cm MT65, per the military size chart and also the Åsnes chart. The skis have significant wax pocket/camber and swing wt., esp. without the added torque of stiff boots and cable bindings for turns.
Otherwise, these skis wax like any other nordic ski, i.e., glide wax or very cold kick wax on entire length of base, ironed and scraped, or rubbed and corked smooth, then kick wax in the wax pocket as needed. 60mm wide skins are the ideal width for this ski in lieu of waxing or when climbing continuously, but I have also used 50mm full length skins with great success for many years.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:58 am

Unfortunately they’re not shipping to Canada right now or I’d have had some to play with as well...

marco

Post by marco » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:39 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:58 am
Unfortunately they’re not shipping to Canada right now or I’d have had some to play with as well...
Hi, I found them here:
https://www.herooutdoors.com/u-s-armed- ... hill-skis/
They ship from Ontario. Only size 200 though..

Also I’m new here and was looking for some information on these skis..I’m 6’2” and 180lbs would a 200 work for me?
Someone mentioned a size chart but I can’t find it anywhere.

fgd135

Re: Åsnes Fjellski MT 65 (aka "Coleman's Special") Skis, Alico Ski-March Boots, USMC Ski Documents 1991

Post by fgd135 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:21 pm

You're right on the size split; if just using a height chart, at 188cm you would want a 210cm, but, 81kg wt. puts you in the 200cm size. (Åsnes current BC ski chart) These skis have substantial nordic camber, i.e., wax pocket, and besides, a shorter length is easier to turn and maneuver. A 210 would be useful for long treks with big packs in deep snow...