Voile Vector BC Binding Choice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
BCgee

Voile Vector BC Binding Choice

Post by BCgee » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:28 am

Picked up a pair of used, cheap Voile Vector BCs in 180 to use as yo-yo skis in powder conditions with my two-year old in the backpack this winter. Looking for binding suggestions. Leaning towards 75mm and the Voile sidethrow w/ removable heel for additional, optional, control depending on terrain choice. Typically have a rolling approach to yo-yo zones. Expert telemark skier and former competitive nordic skier.

Have and enjoy the Annum in 185 with Voile Hardwire binding and sometimes side throw heel and stripped down T2s, but the T2 is overkill whether I'm skiing with the kid backpack or solo. Looking for a pair of Alico Blaze/ Andrew Zenith/Andrew North Rim style leathers in 47 if the internet gods help out (let me know if you have such a pair to sell).

Anyone try the Vector BC with Voile sidethrow (non-cartridge) binding and leathers and care to share their experience? Minimalist old-tech seems the path to go for my desired use so long as I don't push the Vector into non-powder conditions.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Voile Vector BC Binding Choice

Post by lowangle al » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:00 pm

The Voile 3pc isn't a bad choice but I prefer an old Riva cable binding on my vectors. An old Targa or Chili would probably be good to.

I have skied the vector with leather boots and the 3pc, only I didn't use the cable. It did work for powder turns but I could have used the cable. Since I don't like the way the 3pc tours with the cable on and I'm not a fan of transitions in rolling terrain or on short laps I switched to the Riva.

The leather boots only worked in powder with these skis, they tracked like shit on a packed trail and I went back to my T2s. I now ski them with T4s and because of the low cuff I have the same range of motion as leather boots but I get the edge control of a plastic boot. This may be something to consider as a used T4 may be easier to find than a good leather boot.

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm

I'm skiing Vector BCs with Scott Excursions and Voile Switchbacks and am very happy with the setup. Last year I made the switch from Merrill Ultras to the Excursion. My guess is a leather boot like the Ultra would drive my setup ok. My Ultras were old and tired. The Excursions give me more lateral torsion.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:45 pm

My 180 Vector bcs are mounted with regular switchbacks and Excursions. I use this setup for touring for turns in the hardwoods in deep snow on short steep hills and I can't imagine a better setup. My ski buddy uses a similar setup except he uses cableless 3-pins and rips it up.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:51 am

I have Switchbacks on a pair of vectors and like the way they tour but never had luck getting them to work with leather boots. I think a T4 or Excursion is perfect for this ski and the type of skiing the OP is planning on. Leather will work in soft snow but it is not optimal IMO.

BCgee

Post by BCgee » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:55 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:51 am
I have Switchbacks on a pair of vectors and like the way they tour but never had luck getting them to work with leather boots. I think a T4 or Excursion is perfect for this ski and the type of skiing the OP is planning on. Leather will work in soft snow but it is not optimal IMO.
Appreciate the feedback all. The internet gods provided me with a mondo 30 new-ish condition garmont excursion locally today. Total kit cost is now up to $150.

low angle al: What's your perspective on the benefit of an old Riva (never tried them) for quick transitions compared to a Voile 3pin cable? I have a spare hardwire that could be mounted flush, sans risers, with an 8mm g3 heel.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:16 am

I don't like to tour with the cables on the 3pc. Even when adjusted with the least amount of tension required to keep the side throws from popping open I can feel the resistance from the cable springs. On the Rivas and even with switchbacks there is enough of a dead spot before the springs engage that there is no noticeable resistance for K&G. I think that over the years I've adjusted my kick to stay within this dead zone.

It sounds like you got a great set up for cheap and I think you will be happy with the excursions.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:24 am

BCgee wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:55 pm

low angle al: What's your perspective on the benefit of an old Riva (never tried them) for quick transitions compared to a Voile 3pin cable? I have a spare hardwire that could be mounted flush, sans risers, with an 8mm g3 heel.
With the riva there is no transition and I'm happy with their touring and DH performance. With the 3pc there is the resistance for K&G. To be fair you may not notice the resistance after a while but it is still there.

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:07 pm

Like Al's suggestion of the Riva's, the hardwires on a loose setting allow for some minimal initial resistance which is good for shuffle touring. I've found the side throw voile spring cable resists too much from the get go.

At the risk of being ridiculous, I'll quote myself here:
Lo-Fi wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:59 pm
Easy in and out, decent freedom of movement for touring, enough support on the downhills, and no fiddling around between the flats, ups and downs:

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:37 pm

Great input here Al & Lo-fi. The 3-pin cable if often suggested as a binding when you are looking for a little more control than a basic 3-pin. I own several pair and agree, I cannot stand K&G with them. Actually, I rarely usie the cables, exept when I am yoyo-ing long runs. I have an old pair of RIVA on a vintage pair of Rossi Nepal. I really should put 'em on a better ski and try 'em out as you suggest.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM