FT 62

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: FT 62

Post by Woodserson » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:20 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:52 pm
I love the FT62. I am very happy that it does not have "classic xc camber".
I think that the FT62 would be the ski of Saint Sondre's fantasies- he would have won the worldcup slalom with slippers and willow bindings with it!
Agree.

The FT62 "sparks joy" as they say. I have a surprising amount of love for this ski. A real gem!

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:21 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:52 pm
While I agree that the track groove on the FT62 facilitates XC tracking-
I struggle to find the "Classic Nordic XC Camber" in the FT62...
Although it has been observed that there is some tension underfoot-
the FT62 has a pretty round flex (much rounder than the Ingstad BC for example)-
perhaps not quite as round-flexing as a Karhu/Madshus Epoch or Annum-
but, both of my FT62s have LESS camber than the Epoch or the Annum.

I cannot speak for the Nansen- but I do not see the FT62 as having the same directional properties of the Ingstad BC.
From my perspective, the FT62 is a downhill ski for XC skiers.
The Ingstad BC is a XC ski for deep snow and hilly/mountainous terrain.
These are VERY different skis.
Sounds like a very fair assessment of this ski, pretty much what I would expect looking at the specs alone.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:25 am

FT62 tails:
20200310_194846.jpg
FT62 tips:
20200310_194929.jpg
FT62 side by each:
20200313_224545.jpg
Late winter hill-country magic carpets:
20200216_105317.jpg
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:54 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:51 pm
bgregoire wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:17 pm
Guys, if you want to talk about La Cordée, why not do it here:
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3273

It might not be useful to mix a hot topic like that with Rod's pacifist internal debate about the FT62!
Thanks Benjamin and sorry Rod...

Back to the FT62... who is even better then LilCliffy to describe the FT62? Of course, Crister from Åsnes ;) . So this an excerpt from his detailed post on the FT62 that can be found on the Asnes thread

: in short words, the Falketind 62 is made to be a really playful and easy to handle Nordic BC ski. At the same time, it has a lot of the same technical details as an Alpine Touring ski, without sacrificing the Classic Nordic XC Camber with Nordic Rocker, the glide properties and the directional benefits of skis like Ingstad and Nansen. That is why we have the groove in the sole as well. As that actually has a lot of effect on how directional the ski is.

So yes it is a really weird ski but none the less it excels at being weird!
Martin: T'en fais pas. It is okay to stir the pot once in a while...

Sacré Ben... ouais un pacifiste, mais pas aussi sage que toi...

Cliff: I am reading your excellent description of the ski and I still think: «weird, isn't it?» Weird doesn't mean bad (like in Rossi BC nordic ski line...)

Johnny: si c'était possible, oui, j'aimerais essayer... mais ça ne sera pas tout de suite (cf pandémie). I might as well buy a pair and see...

Woods: merci aussi pour ton input...

Guys you make that one intriguing enough...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:19 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 am
The price is 640 CA$ and you will never regret buying those skis.
Stolen gear alert!

Remember that their cost, the price they pay is 0.00$...

Asnes will never see a single dime from it, even from future orders, because LaCordee are protected under your beloved Chapter 11... The net profit of 640$ on your FT62 will go straight into LaCordee's pockets... Just like all the gear you bought from them in the last two years...

Rodbelan wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:54 am
Johnny: si c'était possible, oui, j'aimerais essayer... mais ça ne sera pas tout de suite (cf pandémie). I might as well buy a pair and see...
Avec grand plaisir... Tu vas ADORER j'en suis sur...!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:42 am

Johnny wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:19 am
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 am
The price is 640 CA$ and you will never regret buying those skis.
Stolen gear alert!

Remember that their cost, the price they pay is 0.00$...

Asnes will never see a single dime from it, even from future orders, because LaCordee are protected under your beloved Chapter 11... The net profit of 640$ on your FT62 will go straight into LaCordee's pockets... Just like all the gear you bought from them in the last two years...
Give me some slack Johnny and call the police if you think they are stealing... so Asnes are crazy enough to send new stock to a store knowing they won’t get paid?

Where did I ever wrote that Chapter 11 is my beloved law? We have lost money due by a client that was protected by thisaw more than once and we made it through but I was sad for the people who lost their job. It was sad but we survived. You seem to have a personal grudge against them and it seems you have one with me and the others that buy there?

And speaking of ethical shopping, have you ever thought of writing a disclaimer saying you sell Asnes gear before writing a review? For me it sounds like a conflict of interest... but what do I know about younto judge you on a public forum? Probably just as much as you know of the people in this forum of lacking ethics... Just a thought.

Peace!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:24 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:42 am
You seem to have a personal grudge against them and it seems you have one with me and the others that buy there?
No no... I have a grudge against people who are deliberately making our world a worst one, for the sake of saving a few pennies. I have a grudge against people who thinks that stealing from someone elsewhere is ok. People we don't see do not exist right?

It would be so easy to encourage only honest initiatives and honest people, especially when we are all aware of it. That is the basic of ethics. Yes, I have a problem when someone is aware of doing something wrong and is still doing it anyway... Égalité, respect et justice pour tous. TOUS les etres humains meritent d'etre traités (et surtout d'etre PAYÉS!!!) avec justice, respect et égalité pour leur travail. Meme ceux qu'on ne voit pas. Meme ceux dans d'autres pays. Meme les Quebecois qui travaillent sous les neons dans une shop sans fenetres pour fabriquer des jouets pour que les pleinairistes puissent s'amuser la fin de semaine.

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:42 am
so Asnes are crazy enough to send new stock to a store knowing they won’t get paid?
LaCordee owes 28,911.45$ to Asnes... That is a lot of skis...

And speaking of ethical shopping, have you ever thought of writing a disclaimer saying you sell Asnes gear before writing a review?
What the frig are you talking about? I am not selling Asnes gear!!!
It's called a group order. We place an order together every year, and we review whatever we like...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:13 pm

Rod,
When I bought my FT 62, there were no reviews on TT. I wasn’t in love with my S-112 and wanted something much better. When they arrived, I was very concerned. I was not so sure they would kick and glide. They were really light, could they hold an edge? Well I found they hold an edge. I found they kick and glide well as long as the trail isn’t consolidated. In powder they ski well. They get kicked around in crud.
What are the best for? How about 4” to 12” of fresh, linking trails and downhills. They’re light, with light boots I could stay out all day long and ski a lot of miles and make a lot of turns. In your terrain and cold snow I think you would really enjoy them.

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ
Ski style: Mixed xcountry offtrack/bc
Favorite Skis: Asnes NATO BC so far
Favorite boots: Still searching

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:52 pm

Everything I have read about the FT 62 makes me really want them for next season. Its hard to predict what stores will be carrying them by then. It seems Sport Albert is probably the most reliable source right now. I wish aspinockwoods.com carried Asnes skis. They carry the boots (crispi antarctic) and bindings (RST 3 pin cable) that I want, but the closest thing they have to the FT 62 is the Madshus Epoch. While those skis would probably work, I'd rather not settle. Maybe I can convince the Fey brothers to pick up Asnes?
Last edited by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ on Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:31 pm

The FT62 is a pretty downhill oriented ski. and great on good snow. it does terribly in Alaska. dont know why you want it...unless you ski 100 days/yr (if so, you have a good time on them 10-15 days max) I used them early this season and hardly at all last season. the problem with AK is that most days when the ft62 is usable in the spring, the snow starts out crusty then gets perfect for about 2 hrs max, then as the temp rises, snow gets soft/wet, then the ft62 does horribly on heavy snow. the last few wks, the ft62 has been unskiiable. Wind crust with bottomless snow underneath, hard pack and icy conditions, not good. also, anything over a foot of fresh snow, forget it...it has the dreaded pool cover effect. so I find myself struggling with them on and off the trail. The Skog does better on the frozen trail...stiffer skis with more control. I also got the Skog longer at 185cm so they float as well as (maybe better) the 172cm ft62. My first impression of the Skog is that I can't turn as well but they handle ice, refrozen snowmachine tracks, fatbike ruts, and footprints better than anything else I own.

overall, my conclusion I made last season stands. great for ideal conditions. you wish you had brought 2 pairs of skis when the conditions are poor. they are great on a steep groomer that has a light dusting of snow...which is far from anything we have on a regular basis. I have noticed I can ski much better with the ft62 this yr as I have put in alot more hours skiing in 2020.

dont bother using the ft62 for flattish trails in anchorage...they are quite slow. the mt51 shines on those inconsistently groomed and beat up trails.

get the nansen or skog for these icy refrozen crap that we have. or get a pair of ingstad or maybe the nosi for the deep snow. I plan on getting the nosi next season.