HyperV6 + NNNBC- crazy idea?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

HyperV6 + NNNBC- crazy idea?

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:14 pm

I want a V6- bad.
I have for many, many years.

I have been dreaming about it as a deep-snow skiing-trees BC downhill ski.

Could I get the standard V6 and slap a 75mm binding on it- strap on my T4s- yes, I could.

But, the Asnes FT62 has made me not want to put my T4s on in my local backcountry hills...

I own a Altai Kom- 162cm- and it really is too heavy to ride with a soft Nordic touring boot on anything but gentle terrain (on which it makes an excellent bushwacking ski BTW- every bit as good as the Hok...)

BUT- the Hyper V6 is super light-

- Asnes Ingstad BC, 195cm: 1.02kg/ski
- Asnes FT62, 180cm: 1.02kg/ski
- Asnes Rabb 68, 180cm: 1.13kg/ski
- Voile Objective, 178cm: 1.14kg/ski
- Voile Tindan, 176cm: 1.25kg/ski
- Voile Hyper V6, 178cm: 1.32kg/ski
- Asnes Fjoro 92, 176cm: 1.41kg
- Voile V6, 178cm: 1.53kg/ski
- Altai Kom, 174cm: 1.62ks/ski

And the one Hyper V6 I would get for skiing my local steep forested ravines in deep soft snow:
- Voile HyperV6, 173cm: 1.28kg/ski

What do you think?
I am thinking that is light enough to ride with a soft Nordic touring boot...

Why not the Tindan? I want the soft-snow smeary geometry of the V6.
Why not the Objective? I want the big surfy float of the V6.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: HyperV6 + NNNBC- crazy idea?

Post by Nick BC » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:44 pm

What you might want to take into account Garth, is that Voile warns against mounting freeheel bindings on their Hyper series due to the light Paulownia core. However, there are reports from a few freeheelers on various sites that they haven't had any issues skiing them with tele bindings, but maybe weight and aggression come into the equation. I guess the Objective comes into the same category and Woods seems to be skiing it quite happily with no pull-outs.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:35 pm

I have skied my vectors with leather boots and they were fun in soft snow. I don't think I could have gotten them on edge if I needed to and they were lousy at tracking on hardpack. So if you don't mind spending that much on a ski that isn't that versatile they will work in the best conditions. I think that you may like the ski so much that you will want to use them even when conditions aren't perfect. Why not put a 3 pin binding on them so you could use them with leather or plastic and put NNNBC on your second pair. ;)

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:02 pm

I think your issue will be the width more than the weight. To get power to the edge of a ski with a ~98mm waist (in anything other than real soft snow), you're gonna want a boot with a tall, stiff cuff. I tried skiing my Black Diamond Carbon Aspects (90mm underfoot) with Rossignol BCX12 75mm boots and BD O1 bindings, and on hard snow, the cuff would flop over before I could get the edge to bite. Skinnier skis I was fine. I'd think 98mm could be a struggle. The Voile Objective would be my choice in that category.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:41 pm

I say go for it!!! I know you want the V6 for when it’s deep, you will not want to be putting the ski on edge. I’ve read your posts, your reviews for enough years to say yes! That’s a 100% yes, not a maybe yes.
That being said, for me it would be a no. However for a similar use as what you intend to do, if I had your snow, knowing my ability, I wouldn’t hesitate doing that with my Ski March boot. It’s my intent with the Tindan, but the Tindan should handle some mank when riding a T-4.
My only question would be length? For me I would go 188, but I’m old 188 still seems short to me, but I have gotten used to skis that short since the days the first mid-fats came out ;)!

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:29 pm

You know, I suddenly remembered a post from the halcyon days of Mitch's Telemarktips, when Bob Mazerei (a telemark legend) posted about skiing some wide alpine skis with NNN BC bindings. So maybe it can be done if the snow is soft, and you ride the skis rather than drive them up on edge. I'm too old and decrepit to try this, but a young buck like Garth could probably make it work. So here's the challenge Garth, if you do it, we want video :D

Petetheswede
Ski style: Touring with turns
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Ingstad
Favorite boots: Lundhags Guide BC

Post by Petetheswede » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:49 am

Do it with a lurk altai style so you can dig the heels in when necessary. Cant see why it would not work with a 1,73 ski.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:13 am

I would say don’t mount nnn on the V6. The V6 are not Xc skis and would be difficult to turn with NNN bc and would frankly ruin the skis resale value and simply a joke. Try bombing down a 1200ft run in the backcountry and you will regret ever thinking about putting NNN bc on those skis. Just get a pair of Axls or Voile’s new TTS.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 pm

I dunno. The lightest I would go on the v6 would be t4 and the telebulldog 3 pins or voile 3 pin hardwire. These skis are for charging, not lollygagging around. The control you get with v6s and plastic boots is amazing so you can ski tighter lines more aggressively. Your terrain and snowpack is somewhat similar to ours here and v6s/vectors are the goto ski for steep narrow lines.