Where did you mount your bindings on your Fischer 78s?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Where did you mount your bindings on your Fischer 78s?

Post by connyro » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:36 pm

So where did you mount them? The 78s don't seem to have any markings and the Fischer site offers nothing that's obvious. So I turn to the collective knowledge of ttalk. Pin line on balance point or chord center? Somewhere else? I'll be using the 78s for touring and some turns in soft conditions. NNN-BC bindings with alpina Alaska boots.

Franz

Re: Where did you mount your bindings on your Fischer 78s?

Post by Franz » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:59 pm

I have old SBound Sowbound Crown 78s from 12 years ago mounted toe bar at balance point skied with NNNBC Alaskas.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:29 am

I mounted mine -1cm behind BP because I was not planning on doing much turning with them and I got them in the 189 and I wanted a bit extra glide. (theoretical)

Pretty solid choice of a ski. I like mine for what they were designed to do. Good luck on turning them. They "turn" but... you know. You've got the skillz to do it, if anyone around here. Grip and rip!

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:25 am

I have NNN BC's mounted on mine. I located the balance point of the ski and then matched that with the balance point line on the paper template that came with the bindings. I like my 78's and pair them with the Alfa Skarvet boots for off trail use.
img20200912_08194641.jpg
GX012656_Moment(4).jpg

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:48 pm

Hey man!
Good to hear from you! Hope all is well with you and yours.
connyro wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:36 pm
So where did you mount them? The 78s don't seem to have any markings and the Fischer site offers nothing that's obvious. So I turn to the collective knowledge of ttalk. Pin line on balance point or chord center? Somewhere else? I'll be using the 78s for touring and some turns in soft conditions. NNN-BC bindings with alpina Alaska boots.
I too mounted mine with NNN-BC at balance point (BP).
If my memory serves me- and please correct me if I am wrong- but I remember CC and BP being pretty much exactly the same on this ski?
I did not consider moving them ahead for more grip and easier turn initiation.
Woods' idea of mounting them aft of BP is interesting- and a cool idea. At -1cm they should definitely glide better with the heel down in pure XC mode.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Seems like balance point is consensus. Woods: I like the idea of mounting them slightly back from balance point as I would like to maximize glide. Turning is not my goal with this setup but hopefully always an option. I still have time to finalize the mounting location so I'll mull the pros and cons of -1cm. Always appreciate your input. Tom, Franz: Thanks for the info. Always appreciate your concise advice! LC: Hope you had a good growing season; ours was very short and awfully strange (frost June 16th and Sept 12th with nearly 4 solid weeks in June/early July in the upper 80s and dry as hell). Regarding BP vs CC: chord center and balance point on the 78s is similar, but the chord center is actually nearly 1cm back from balance point. I guess I expected it to be the other way around. Thanks for the solid advice.