XCD - the past and future of skiing?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Re: XCD - the past and future of skiing?

Post by Rodbelan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:58 am

Even if it is well choreographed, still, there are some death. Matilda Rapaport, Shane McConkey, etc... But no problem: the pay, the fame and the very large bassin of young people looking for it make Red Bull impassible...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

MartinF

Post by MartinF » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:58 am
Matilda Rapaport...
... died for a freaking ad clip!

Because the pertinent thrill is the thrill as perceived by the audience - the thrill of the risk to someone else's life! Which is totally sick, in my opinion. Yes, there is often an element of risk involved in exciting activities. You calculate the amount and weigh it against the thrill you (the actor) are trying to feel - mostly a motional thrill, rather than mere fear. But when the thrill factor is shifted to the audience and becomes deadly, we're getting very close to a gladiator scenario. In other words: It's actually uncivilised!

I prefer to see people enjoying themselves... and some of the XCD clips are really entertaining in that respect.

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:38 am

XCD video stoke

and others by same author

Doesn't get any better!

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:11 am

Pretty nice isn't it? This is Chip Chase and his sons in White Grass nordic center, West Virginia...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Lars_Danner
Ski style: Classic
Favorite boots: Fischer Comfort Pro

Post by Lars_Danner » Mon May 04, 2020 11:04 pm

This is a great discussion.
Lars Danner

See my blog at: LarsDanner.blogspot.com
See my Facebook group at: Adventure Nordic Skiing--Alaska

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:08 am

Happy July 4th from Alaska. 81F at sea level today. found some snow after hiking up about a mile.

Fischer S112, NNN BC auto, Alfa Quest Core boots.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:52 am

MartinF wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 am
I'm wondering whether XCD is more than just the past of skiing, ranging back to the days before resorts with lifts.

So will downhill skiing return to the place it came from? Will it once again be the reward for a climb? Will cross country and downhill merge back into each other for the broad majority of people who still want to ski?
I thought about this for the past few months, and I think that the answer is "no" because light setups have a very steep learning curve and most people who want to ski are not willing or unable to do it. I have skiied 80 days this season and as you can see in my videos above, I'm still not good at it. Give me a heavy AT setup with plastic boots and I will launch down that bowl and through the rocks. But, I hate plastic boots and avoid it for nontechnical routes or warmer days...and I prefer to not hike in plastic or carry them in my pack.

Most people just won't be able to learn free heel skiing, skiing on narrow long skis, cambered skis, and use leather boots or cross country boots. The new generation of skiiers mostly do not have the patience to do it. That's why there were less skiiers 50 years ago...the sport was difficult...advances in equipment and technology has enabled skiing for just about anyone. Skiiers here even in Alaska mostly use heavy downhill oriented AT setups to make up for the difficult terrain and in many cases, the lack of skiing ability. These setups have their place, but are mostly unnecessary if the skiier were better at it (like those old timers on skinnies from the 60s-70s)...especially since some of the approaches are very long with huge vertical. All the power to those people who want to carry fat boards plus climbing gear, but I just won't do it.

But really for most people what I saw this Spring, when I was skiing every day because of my Covid unemployment status, was 2 kinds of skiiers. Expert adrenaline junkies doing about 2000ft-3000ft vertical...one run and done...and down very steep chutes, so a heavy AT setup is great for that. I think only the Telehero skiiers of the world can ski those chutes with skinnies and leather boots and NNN BC or 3 pin...especially the tough variable conditions: boilerplate crust at the top, heavy deep snow at the bottom...and many times, breakable crust.

And the other type of skiier, the poser with 4 grand of stuff that looks like they just removed the shrink wrap and cut tags off...one day, I saw a super well dressed couple with heavy AT setups go up where skate skiiers normally do their laps and then they went up a bit off piste and did one wimpy 700ft descent and they coasted back to the parking lot. I see alot of that.

So I don't believe XCD is the future of skiing. The masses just aren't that into it. They like steep, deep, and fast or a mellow easy/effortless ride.

I like my AT setups...great for shredding down steep mountains and bad conditions. But I have reached for my NNN BC setup 90% of the season.

Thanks for reading! And happy 4th!

Nodberg

Post by Nodberg » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:11 am

Living in Tromsø the climate change Will, according to weather forcast expertice, give us more snow in the future due to milder climate. XCD is still alive and the future is ok. Going for a telemarturn or two this afternoon. 😁

Tele kid
Ski style: Old school Nordic telemark
Favorite Skis: Fisher E-99's
Favorite boots: Andrews North rim

Post by Tele kid » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 am

More and more pricks in the BC. Probably for a variety of reasons like big fat easy gear, the cost of lift serve, and the mind cleanse of being in nature. Used to have the BC all to ourselves. Now people following our beatifically broken trail poaching our goods, post holing our trail and such. Kingdom Tele Boys aren't the greatest at sharing if you catch my drift. Poaching pricks beware. They better bring offerings like Beer and lots of it!

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:29 pm

Tele kid wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 am
More and more pricks in the BC. Probably for a variety of reasons like big fat easy gear, the cost of lift serve, and the mind cleanse of being in nature. Used to have the BC all to ourselves. Now people following our beatifically broken trail poaching our goods, post holing our trail and such. Kingdom Tele Boys aren't the greatest at sharing if you catch my drift. Poaching pricks beware. They better bring offerings like Beer and lots of it!
LOL. Sure, Internet tough guy.