Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:51 am

Snow was just beginning to compress....Powder was just beginning to go into moist...It was on the Dark side near the gap where I park my car on the side of a High highland Notch....Pink wax up the skis and had a slippery introduction to the wax trail heading in....Whoever had followed the old track had veered off and I headed up the old up track with inches of powder giving me traction....Always hand clip as I head up...grab a branch and rip it off!!!!....Decisions....Take the short moderate hardwood shot or head toward a longer gentler ride....Drops and run outs...Headed there...Dropped down and the powder was ...powder!!!! Had a beautiful short run...Long arcs and head them down and let them go...Made for a dreamy down...Cut back to the Gap and did a couple at the bottom of the steep section and headed home...Blasted in the sun and life was good....TM

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Finally got back to the kingdom; photo is Sunday at TK2 no-name mountain east Northeast slopes; before the thaw...24” snowpack and 8-12” week-old virgin powder (but... temperatures had been freezing for the week).
Plan to ski every day... today was north of Stanlock, old growth yellow birch...then the North Face; 4” consolidated on 2-ft base. Point them down hill.
Hit the lift lines yesterday on the Tua Razors and Alica boots, with 3-pin + cables...grooming was outstanding on trails.
I realized while I serpentined down the blue trails; that my parallel ski training in 1972 still applied; I kept my body and shoulders pointed downhill; regardless of the orientation of my skis.
Secondly, I concentrated on my back foot; which, with leather boots, was guiding the back ski on my
Toes. Extraweighton the back foot was critical during low run turns on-piste, as well as soft pillow powder bumps in the woods.
F9CDB097-AA8B-4EE1-A762-4EE65E3ECF42.jpeg

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:33 pm

Skiing has been really good for weeks with a constant 15 inches of powder on good enough base.....Boys have been turning Little Mountain into a ski area with our tracks being followed by newbies.....But did I mention they had excellent powder and having skied up there since the early 1970's know where the powder is and where "skins" don't do so good....Telekid is now the go to person up there...He is gonna go somewhere!!!!! Telerock and Teleroll headed to the Rock's camp in the Northwest Daks and Teleking and I followed the next day....had serious powder and gigantic fires outside....Tons of laughter....stories of past exploits.....wondrous crashes.....and lots of beer...I mean the car is a mile away!!!! Short drops and floating turns....Great time and a great place...Thanks Rock....TM

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:09 pm

2 1/2 snow with ten inches fresh powder; and diamond snow on top last weekend in the NY ADKs.
Skis used shown here; also 1930s camp, and fire pit remains in background. Upside down; again.
2495C36D-E98D-46A6-ACCC-87CE1D02D720.jpeg
3BD86723-5D62-46FF-8833-2765E2CA0C10.jpeg
E5FE3119-9960-435B-BA66-B1645C28A530.jpeg

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:08 am

Skied the other side of Teleknob just before the sun and then rain....Man did those skis surface skim into plain old long arcs....Head them down and no effort to come around....Powder was fast and this oldie was not skiing....just free form floating....You would have loved it Rock....Will head up to the Highlands soon and see what's what....Kinda thinking of heading to porcupine junction and hitting the North side for some turns....Will see....Used to be known as Coyote junction before they moved out and the Porcupine moved in....Then the Fischer cat found them.....Last thing I saw up there was Moose and calf.....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:30 am

Two days ago in the Highlands snow was edgy with some crushable crust that could send the skis asunder...heh....survival sort of....Yesterday took our grandchild sliding....Whoops of laughter from her...Headed to Little Mountain with little hope of snow being any good....but....half an inch of mushy corn allowed the skis to take off and nice rounded turns were had in low angle world...Plenty of speed....and those longer arcs was sweet....Arc it all!!!! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:42 am

Bout Noon will fire up the evaporator and start the REAL beginning of Spring.....Tons of sap....and will see if we cant get syrup by night....Telesven Adam Rasta Tele have done most of the work....I mostly stay out of their way!....Skiing yesterday was mostly fundamental survival....Telekid and Telewoods had some nice shots and we all resurrected our STEP turn....Turning on a dime and really fast in the Bush...Snowshoe Donny....Snowshoes were good as they went up anything and were decent on the down...First time in years and thanks Donny for the steaks up in the nowhere.....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:09 am

have somewhere in the 400-500 taps with 250 in buckets.....made @ five gallons of really excellent syrup and will savor it this morning on French toast.....Should have hit the bush early but was lazy....Will try before the rains hit...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:10 am

Having trouble getting this on the thread...ledges and cliffs were seen for the first time in many years....hardpack was the rule and the down was tricky for this old guy.....Moose are making a comeback and trashing our trackx while coyotes were howling across the gap.....lots of base out there but could use some powder for more fun....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:12 am

Tough ski....beautiful forest....Good food....Took 30 yards and there was no wax on the bottom of the skis....Three tries later put on the skins...second time this year.....Bummer!!!!! Tons of base out there and if we get any powder the skiing could be outstanding what with everything seriously rounded....Have found many hollow trees and think on a warm day....Big fire!!!!! Sugaring is going well and have made @ 20 gallons and the grade is a constant medium Amber....TM