Front-Half Skins

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
akmtnrunner

Front-Half Skins

Post by akmtnrunner » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:30 am

I've have been trying to get my X-Skins to work better on my Asnes Gammes, but I am afraid they just won't cut it. I find the front to protrude into the snow and drag, and in firm snow it props the skin up off of the snow and it can't grip very well. I then modified the front by pulling off the thick plastic and epoxied the skin to just the metal clip. Much thinner and sometimes it works beautifully. But other times, snow begins to creep under the leading edge of the metal clip and get between the ski and skin and soon pulls the skin off, caked with snow, and essentially can't stick to the base until they dry out indoors.

I am curious if anyone has tried traditional skins (attached to the tip) but only extending to the front of the kick zone? That way, I could have my kick wax for the gradual terrain and good speed, then be able to add the front-half skin to climb steeper grades. Would that significantly help kick? I am assuming I wouldn't want to cover the kick wax with a skin, as the wax would degrade the skin glue and begin to pull the entire skin off. Is that right or am I wrong?

Thanks for any help,

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Front-Half Skins

Post by phoenix » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:32 am

Hate to see a thread with no replies; first is no, I have never heard of using a skin forward of the kick zone. Second, about using skins over kick wax... quite commonly done. That said, I draw the line on blue (assuming Swix colors), or maybe blue extra. Wouldn't really want to try it on anything softer myself, but very possible some folks have.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:46 am

I ran across these about 5 years ago from Nordic Ski Skins. Probably a garage operation. Worked great on medium climbs and easy to put on/remove. But you hit a gully and the skins come off the snow coming up the lip and backwards you go. Length is about 22”. Used them on Rossi BC70s. They just hook on the tips.
9C6DB769-DC86-4773-8F50-8F9110E72647.jpeg
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:32 pm

I agree with Pheonix as far as skin on grip wax- I draw the line at Swix Blue-
I scrape off grip wax any softer than Blue before putting on a skin.

I am curious as to what the snow and temperatures are like that you are having negative experiences with the integrated kicker skins...
(I am generally thrilled with mine- and must admit that I have not found a big difference in glide performance between the metal "Skin-Lock" and the plastic "X-Skin" attachment (the plastic one does not like rocks though!))
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:35 pm

The very short skin on the tip would allow you to get away without scraping off soft kick wax or klister.
Interesting idea!
Let us know how you make out with this!

BD's Nordic skis have tip loop that is specifically designed for a narrow, traditional Nordic ski tip:
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/e ... 050_1.html
Could trim those to a short length...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:13 pm

I have friends that do this...add bd kickers skins starting at the tip for better climbing. They use them on scaled skis. Always thought they were weird....but so am I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

akmtnrunner

Post by akmtnrunner » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Thanks for the great responses so far!

Lilcliffy, so far, conditions have been fairly cold (10-25F) and dry. Usually, if I am using these narrower Gammes, that means my route will have been somewhat broken in and semi-firm. I know it's hard to compare, but the speed difference wasn't to far from wearing full length skins, and the kick was certainly not better than using kick wax. After modifying, it was far better speed and kick, but like I said, can fail to adhere. I've attached photos of the modified X-Skins for a better idea of what I did.

In any case, I think I got my hopes up too high for these X-Skins. I have a good grasp of kick waxing as I am a professional xc coach so I think I'll just go that direction unless I need super grip for steeper climbs. Fortunately, I came across a narrow set of full length skins meant for nordic skis (~35mm width) this afternoon at a consignment outdoor shop for $10(!) that I will try at full length first then maybe I'll try cutting the length.
IMG_8281.jpeg
IMG_8280.jpeg

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:23 am

I like your mod. Basically bringing it back to the original asnes half skin attachment. Check out the orange combat Nato half skin to see what I am talking about.

You could have shaved the front bot of the skin hairs for better adherence of the metal clip. The clip might actually dig deeper into the skin that way and provide an improved non-grapping effect?

I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

akmtnrunner

Post by akmtnrunner » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:59 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:23 am
I like your mod. Basically bringing it back to the original asnes half skin attachment. Check out the orange combat Nato half skin to see what I am talking about.

You could have shaved the front bot of the skin hairs for better adherence of the metal clip. The clip might actually dig deeper into the skin that way and provide an improved non-grapping effect?

It is shaved underneath the metal down to the white fabric material. Just enough material to absorb the epoxy.

I checked out the Nato skins, I wish I had gotten those. I can't believe they don't design all of their X-skins that way.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:23 pm

akmtnrunner wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:59 pm
I checked out the Nato skins, I wish I had gotten those. I can't believe they don't design all of their X-skins that way.
They used to. They thought the plastic cap was an improvement. Several here stated it was, at least glidewise, when the new version was rolled out. Personally, I think the metal version has several advantages. Wonder which one is cheaper to produce???