Tele bindings on Objectives, consensus?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Tele bindings on Objectives, consensus?

Post by 12gaugesage » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:12 pm

I know a couple of you are running these skis with tele bindings, any issues? Is there an unofficial TT consensus on this?

I'm so close to snapping a pair up at a local shop, want to run them with a set of spike step ins, but would hate to spend the money and have something go wrong.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

spopepro

Re: Tele bindings on Objectives, consensus?

Post by spopepro » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:30 pm

It’s fine. I have multiple years with voile 3pin on risers on my objective bc, no inserts. I haven’t babied them, but I also generally try to use good style instead of brute force.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Second season on mine. Voile 3 pin on riser (4 screw attachment). No issues so far, but I'm a lightweight and my ski style doesn't put a lot of stress on them. A great soft snow turning ski with leathers and 3 pins. Not a great ski for long distance on the flats.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:10 pm

What boots are you planning on using with the Spikes? I/we have some experience with the combo and would be glad to share it before you make a final decision. Have a look at the thread of a few days ago "uh-oh, Alaska pinholes ripped".

12gaugesage

Post by 12gaugesage » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Read the beginning of that thread, I'll revisit.

Gonna run a scarpa t4 for now. Gonna use this combo for uphills/lift serve and DH oriented BC, to replace my s112 maybe my 98s too with something more "alpinish". I'm often on ice/crust....
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:02 pm

The boot/binding combination is fine; I ski the Objectives with Spikes and Excursions for all round BC stuff, though they do have limitations for more DH oriented BC stuff and/or difficult snow. Then, I'd take my Waybacks mounted with BMD Bulldogs, and the Excursions. I wouldn't want ski the Objectives for a resort ski, especially on hardpack; they're just too light. I love 'em for rambling in the woods, including the turns I work in along the way... tight rough bushwhacky woods, logging roads, ungroomed train, etc. Some pretty good hills thrown in. All in all, I love the Objectives, and understand their limitations.

As far as the mounting, you are aware that Voile clearly states that the Objectives are meant for AT mounts, and that a tele mount will void the warranty? I believe that just started last year, possibly the year before. That said, lots of us have been skiing them with freeheel mounts for a while now. Your call.
I mounted mine myself, and moved 'em a couple of times, so I think 3 mounts on 'em so far. I know one hole ended up not that solid, which I'm guessing was probably due to too much countersink. The Spikes are a six hole pattern (standard 4 hole, plus an additional 2 in the back end, also same width spacing as the 4 hole). I've had plenty of clearance with all screw holes; I think one mount I skipped the extra 2 holes and just ran it with 4. I have had no issues with the mounts.
I'd be sure to go lightly with the drill, and the countersink (if you use one). If I wasn't doing it myself, I'd most definitely want to know I trusted whatever tech was doing the mount, and would mention going easy with 'em.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:27 pm

I got a pair of Hyper vectors that were still covered in the end of January last year, two weeks later I saw the disclaimer on there web site. I liked them so much that I wanted to get my wife a pair, so I contacted Voile to see how much it would cost to repair a pulled binding if it happened. I think it was about $105.00 which I thought was worth the risk.

She ended up getting the ultra vector at a good discount. It's a nice ski but they didn't have that "WOW' factor that the hyper had when I handled them.

12gaugesage

Post by 12gaugesage » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:00 pm

phoenix wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:02 pm
The boot/binding combination is fine; I ski the Objectives with Spikes and Excursions for all round BC stuff, though they do have limitations for more DH oriented BC stuff and/or difficult snow. Then, I'd take my Waybacks mounted with BMD Bulldogs, and the Excursions. I wouldn't want ski the Objectives for a resort ski, especially on hardpack; they're just too light. I love 'em for rambling in the woods, including the turns I work in along the way... tight rough bushwhacky woods, logging roads, ungroomed train, etc. Some pretty good hills thrown in. All in all, I love the Objectives, and understand their limitations.

As far as the mounting, you are aware that Voile clearly states that the Objectives are meant for AT mounts, and that a tele mount will void the warranty?

Hmmmmm..... I was thinking they'd be better for hardpack/frozen ice coast resort skiing than the s bounds that I have been using up to now (pretty noodly). I'm basing this largely on this from their webpage: "stiff enough to hold an edge on boilerplate. They won’t exactly shine in deep powder, but many an East Coast skier will likely press them into service at their local ski resort"
Is that not the case?
I have only skied Nordic ski's (other than hoks) so I don't even know what I'm missing as far as Alpine gear goes, and therefore I'm willing to give up some DH prowess in exchange for BC versatility.

And yes I know about the disclaimer, which is why I wanted some opinions. My sense is it's a knee jerk, lawyer/insurance company cover their ass kind of thing, but I thought I should at least ask people anyway.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:19 pm

12gaugesage wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:00 pm

And yes I know about the disclaimer, which is why I wanted some opinions. My sense is it's a knee jerk, lawyer/insurance company cover their ass kind of thing, but I thought I should at least ask people anyway.
I don't think it's an insurance/liability thing. There were issues with pulled bindings, my guess is that it was mostly from people skiing big boots and active bindings. It's good to know that they can fix a pullout for a fee, but if you snap a ski you're out of luck.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:57 pm

Dude I ride my Objectives with T4s, no prob, in the bumps, etc. Voile hardwires with the big riser plate. Great combo for the Sherb! If we can coordinate you can always borrow mine for a look-see.

Not my favorite hard snow ski, they are light and kind of soft and I find them chattery when on edge on hard snow in steeper terrain... That combo

When I talked to Voile the primary culprits were X2s and big boots, basically powerful setups. Not an insurance thing, people were pulling out of the hyper construction skis.