2019 ALFA Guard Advance GTX M Boots Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: 2019 ALFA Guard Advance GTX M Boots Review

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:26 pm

scottS wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:06 pm
Oh no, I thought I was sold and ready to pull the trigger on a pair of ALFA Greenlands 75mm then I saw this thread about sizing snafus!
My largest foot is 27.7cm so with the added ~1.5cm at 29.2cm I'm either looking at a possibly tight 44 or a roomy 45, would ya'll say thats accurate or is all trust lost in ALFA's sizing chart?
I'll take any help I can get!
Thanks,
Scott
You are on the right track. I think adding 1cm is sufficient. Where does that take you (in EU size)? And what EU size do you normally wear?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

scottS

Post by scottS » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:31 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:26 pm
scottS wrote:
Oh no, I thought I was sold and ready to pull the trigger on a pair of ALFA Greenlands 75mm then I saw this thread about sizing snafus!
My largest foot is 27.7cm so with the added ~1.5cm at 29.2cm I'm either looking at a possibly tight 44 or a roomy 45, would ya'll say thats accurate or is all trust lost in ALFA's sizing chart?
Thanks,
Scott
You are on the right track. I think adding 1cm is sufficient. Where does that take you (in EU size)? And what EU size do you normally wear?
That would take me to the upper end of a 44 based on ALFA's sizing chart. But it sounds like folks have had major issues with that chart, or was that just by going off of the US comparison rather than cm to find EU size?

Gosh I really don't know, the only EU sizing I've worn are Sportiva rock shoes and a pair of Makalu's but both are in storage right now so I can't check the size/feel.
Thanks bgregoire!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:55 pm

scottS wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:31 pm
bgregoire wrote:
scottS wrote:
Thanks,
Scott
That would take me to the upper end of a 44 based on ALFA's sizing chart. But it sounds like folks have had major issues with that chart, or was that just by going off of the US comparison rather than cm to find EU size?

Gosh I really don't know, the only EU sizing I've worn are Sportiva rock shoes and a pair of Makalu's but both are in storage right now so I can't check the size/feel.
Thanks bgregoire!
Personnaly I have had good luck with the Alfa chart if and only when used the way you are: Disregard US/UK sizing, start with foot cm + extra recommended length (1cm is enough)and go with the EU size refult. Look, my foot is 26.3cm and I fair well in a Skarvet 42. A Kikut 41 is a tad small and a Skarvet 43 is TOO big.
I cannot speak for other users here though.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:03 pm

Anybody know if the Skarvets run same as the Guards? if so, then one could order Skarvets from REI for fit, then return them and order same size Guards from overseas.

scottS

Post by scottS » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:06 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:55 pm
scottS wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:31 pm
bgregoire wrote:

Thanks bgregoire!
Personnaly I have had good luck with the Alfa chart if and only when used the way you are: Disregard US/UK sizing, start with foot cm + extra recommended length (1cm is enough)and go with the EU size refult. Look, my foot is 26.3cm and I fair well in a Skarvet 42. A Kikut 41 is a tad small and a Skarvet 43 is TOO big.
I cannot speak for other users here though.
Awesome, that makes me feel much better about going w/ a pair of ALFA's. Also, I'm hesitant as this will be my first experience/foray into both the leather AND 3-pin realm. I'm an AT tourer but have a necessity for a more comfortable, travel-oriented setup for long distance and overnight trips with no "desire for "fun" downhill performance other than getting up and down effectively. Our travel is goal oriented (servicing remote wildlife cameras targeting wolverines), so when working thus far, our AT gear is overkill and uncomfortable (lost both big toenails the last two seasons!) for traveling miles and miles, on mostly rolling terrain, not even taking off our skins on most occasions!

So the question is would you caution a newcomer 3-pin"er" into going w/ a cheaper more easily procured boot like the Alpina Alaska rather than bother with the price and stuck-with-it-if-it-doesn't-fit ALFAs? I am a career outdoorsman and have learned to appreciate paying more for superior quality and functionality but deciding to import a $$$ boot without trying it on seems a little nuts?!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:14 pm

Can you get your hands on a pair of alpine Alaska’s to verify fit? These are good boots.

You could order your Alfa’s from la cordée in Quebec Canada, might be easier to return that way?

If your going for the best 3 pin boot available, have you considered the Andrew rifugio?

Sometimes a question produces more questions than it actually answers!

scottS

Post by scottS » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:26 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:14 pm
Can you get your hands on a pair of alpine Alaska’s to verify fit? These are good boots.

You could order your Alfa’s from la cordée in Quebec Canada, might be easier to return that way?

If your going for the best 3 pin boot available, have you considered the Andrew rifugio?

Yes to trying on some Alaska's, I plan to! Do you think fit would be similar to Alfa's? Ah I'll check La Cordee, thanks. I did come across Andrews but they seemed even harder to find than Alfa's?!
Haha indeed, thanks for your help!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:40 pm

The fit is different. Alfa is appropriate for wider feet. I think they say stronger feet! Lol. You can order Andrew rifugio from a shop in France. Did you not yet come across our thread about fancy leathers here?

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:03 am

I don't know if this will help, but I own both a set of Alfa Skarvet Advance GTX and the Alfa Greenland 75 Advance. Both are size 42. For reference, I wear a size 10 American in hiking boots, a size 43 Rossignol BCX-12, a size 43 Fischer BCX 675, and a Mondo 27.5 Scarpa T2.

The Greenland 75 and the Skarvet Advance GTX are almost identical in fit. As full grain leather boots, they do take some time to break in. I'm skiing the Skarvets on Fischer Traverse 78's and the Greenland's on Fischer S-Bound 98's. The Skarvets are a versatile and powerful boot. REI sells the Skarvets and they have a great return policy if the boots don't fit or meet your expectations after a few skis.

shromatty

Post by shromatty » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:39 pm

scottS wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:26 pm
bgregoire wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:14 pm

Yes to trying on some Alaska's, I plan to! Do you think fit would be similar to Alfa's? Ah I'll check La Cordee, thanks. I did come across Andrews but they seemed even harder to find than Alfa's?!
Haha indeed, thanks for your help!

Where are you located, we are about to have size 41, 42, and 43 here if anyone wants to try them. I am in west central NH.