Hot waxing with polar?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Hot waxing with polar?

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:34 pm

The reason I started glide waxing with polar was to eliminate hot waxing at all. If I was going to hot wax my skis I would use glide wax that was made for that. Am I missing something here?

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Hot waxing with polar?

Post by phoenix » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:28 pm

Al, hot waxing full length does a couple things. First off, it just plain lasts longer per application than corking. Another is that it provides a real nice foundation for your kick wax du jour, whether applied full length or just on the kick zone. Also makes corking a layer or two of the polar easier later on, as needed.
So again, not a necessity, but it is more thorough and long lasting, and your bases appreciate the conditioning. Hot wax soaks INTO the pets; corking sits on it.

One could of course go with a sexier base prep and hot wax tips and tails with glide wax, and kick zone with polar (kinda like what bauerb was saying) if one wanted maximum kick and glide, but for more casual xc/bc, ya can't go wrong with full length polar.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Phoenix all good points, but being a concrete man for 20+ years I feel as though I can warm that polar up a bit with the cork.
Really I’m a bit cheap, I just imagine going through a lot of polar using an iron. Someday I may iron on some polar and think to myself that I should have been ironing for years. Since I haven’t tried the iron, I am quite happy corking my polar base.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:35 pm

On a related note: I hardly ever hot-wax anymore, even for downhill-oriented skis, unless I am going on an extended trip, where I won't have a chance to do occasional touch-ups.

I use the tool linked to below that allows you to work in the wax better than a cork and w/o an iron.

https://www.tognar.com/skimd-pro-glide-waxing-system/

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:09 pm

Thanks for the response guys.

Phoenix, it sounds like it's a little easier and quicker than doing the tips and tails with glide wax and better than just corking, I'll have to give it a try.

As far as corking goes, that's an interesting invention Andy, To generate more heat I finish corking with the rounded edge of the cork, having less surface area than the flat side. This year I started taking polar with me on tours after having to reapply on the trail one day when my skis were dragging. At first I thought it was weird snow because I thought my wax was still good, but after rewaxing, my glide returned to normal. It made me think of all of the times towards the end of long tours when I thought my skis were slowing down, but I thought it was just fatigue or in my head. I guess that's a good enough reason to iron in right there.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:36 pm

"Phoenix, it sounds like it's a little easier and quicker than doing the tips and tails with glide wax and better than just corking" Yup, and more versatile for tweaking your wax options.

"It made me think of all of the times towards the end of long tours when I thought my skis were slowing down, but I thought it was just fatigue or in my head. I guess that's a good enough reason to iron in right there." Right again Al.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:13 pm

IMO one uses an iron because it makes the job easier. you get a super-smooth surface that lasts longer in a shorter amount of time.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:29 am

Thanks Canna, are you scraping like with glide wax?

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:29 am

Not wanting to butt in here for Canna, but don't want to leave the question hanging either, so my take on it: If you're using the polar for glide, scrape after hot wax. I'd do two applications; wax and scrape the first (and brush, if convenient... but not a necessity). Wax, scrape (brush optional again), and cork smooth the second.

If it's cold enough that polar will be both your grip and glide du jour, I'd do two coats again. Same as above for the first. Second coat you could either just crayon on and cork, or, you could hot wax over the first (kinda light coat), and just clean up the edges and sidewalls and go.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:41 pm

I use an iron to hot wax Swix Polar grip wax when I am using it as full-length- or heel-to-tip base.
(I crayon and cork Polar when I am using it as a kick wax).

I hot wax Polar for a number of reasons:
1) better wax absorption/retention.
2) better finishing/polishing
3) I actually find I waste less than when I have tried to cork the entire base.

Whether I scrape and polish Polar depends on snow conditions-
The harder, colder and drier the snow- the more I scrape and polish Polar.
Warmer than -20C I simply melt- let it cool- and then buff with cork.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.