Can't find topics !

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
FrenchFred
Ski style: Cross Country Downhill - Mainly downhill
Favorite Skis: FT62, K2 Backlite 74
Favorite boots: Alaska NNNBC, Alpha Free XP

Can't find topics !

Post by FrenchFred » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Hy all
If i'm right there is topics about the capability of t4/excursion to drive big ski (like Vector or kom) during the downhill... But i can't find these...

Can you help me ? Or is there someone how is using this setup ?

Sorry for this new topic which could be considered as a spam...
Fred

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Re: Can't find topics !

Post by MSU Alum » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:52 pm

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I did a search and found this review from a guy using T4's with UltraVectors....not sure if it helps:

"As a trail chief for the Catamount Trail Association in Vermont, I have found the UVBC in 164cm length to be the ultimate tool for attacking the Cat Trail which goes from Massachusetts to Canada along the spine of the Green Mountains. A few winters ago I through skied the entire trail in one push. I found the scale pattern aggressive enough to tackle 99% of the climbs, allowing for great descents, the short length perfect for wiggling and giggling in tight trees, the sidecut and flex shreds tight trail, steep powder, wind buff, pretty much everything I've thrown and these things, and they always shine brightly.

I'm skiing these with Switchbacks always in tour mode(though I have HD 3 pins on all my other setups, and they are awesome too), and Scarpa T-4's.

This setup is the ultimate setup to through ski the Catamount Trail!"

https://www.voile.com/voile-ultravector ... escription

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:52 pm

Man, you can't obliterate the importance of your own experience... On the net, you will find one thing and its exact contrary...

Remember: different snow conditions command different equipment...

T4 are great with Kom; well, at least, I've used mine with my Wayback in the BC. Try it! If it doesn't work, go ahead with a bigger boot. It is as simple as that... It depends on your skills too... You just need to enjoy, that's all. And not listen to what we are saying!
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:47 pm

It’s quite peculiar that one could find info about using nnnbc boots with wide skis but none about excursions and t4. Those stiffer boots will definitely take you one step further out of your comfort zone on the steeps.

But yeah, listen to Rod, he’s my pal and he knows what he’s talking about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:06 pm

FrenchFred wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:13 pm
Hy all
If i'm right there is topics about the capability of t4/excursion to drive big ski (like Vector or kom) during the downhill... But i can't find these...

Fred
Ha! I think 90% of the topics I've posted are about skiing the Koms with Excursions and T4s. Just search my user name.

Meanwhile, I love the KŌM and Excursions/tT4s for the kind of touring for turns that I like to do, on the moderate, variable and low-vertical terrain I have: great touring, climbing and instant turns. (Read about the particular design concept that Nils and François had for the ski on the Altai website - I think they achieved it).

The Kom ski turns like a short surf-board or rodeo kayak. It's very quick to get up on a plane and then pivots and manoeuvres like crazy. The Koms are a little lighter and slightly softer this year too. If you were in a big mountain, open terrain environment, and are average sized to bigger, you might go with the 174cm KOM.

I've tried Vector BCs with T4s, with similar results. Woodserson and lowangle al, among others, can probably give thorough commentary.

I'd say those boots are a perfect pairing with those skis too. I find the Excurisons and T4s comfy, light and flexible. I can't really imagine needing bigger boots for the touring nature of that class of ski.

(I'll shamelessly take the opportunity to re-post one of my videos too!):

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:14 pm

FrenchFred wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:13 pm
Hy all

Fred
KOM + T4: YES. Preferred combination. I use this all the time. Great set-up. Like magic! Really fun. Like Lo-Fi mentions above I use the 174cm in bigger mountains, I weigh 74kg.

Ultravector/V6/Other mid-90ish waist skis + T4: YES in good conditions with good snow and strong binding like the Switchback X2 to step up the power of the boot. I have skied V6+T4 for several years in soft snow and moderate pitchs, tight woods, bumps, with very good results. Once the pitch goes over 35degrees or there is harder snow I step up to the T2 Eco. I found that stiffer skis are happier with the bigger boot also, which makes sense to most people. Also I have skied the 178 and 183 V6 and the the 183 does not pair well with the T4. Longer, heavier, wider, it starts to reach my limit on what I can do with the T4 and the T2 is just more enjoyable.

EDIT I will also say I came back from CH in January and I had only brought my V6 + T4's but I wish I brought my T2's. So something to think about. This only applies to the V6 or other similar skis. But I think you already have a big boot.

FrenchFred
Ski style: Cross Country Downhill - Mainly downhill
Favorite Skis: FT62, K2 Backlite 74
Favorite boots: Alaska NNNBC, Alpha Free XP

Post by FrenchFred » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 am

Hy all !

Thanks for your support and advices !
Yes ! I have to make my own idea about the gear wich will be the best compromise between my ski level and my playground.

But...

You are all great advisers and I like to hear you.

Fred :mrgreen:

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am

FrenchFred wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 am
Hy all !

Thanks for your support and advices !
Yes ! I have to make my own idea about the gear wich will be the best compromise between my ski level and my playground.

But...

You are all great advisers and I like to hear you.

Fred :mrgreen:
OK, I have one more piece of advice for you, but this one might hurt, but think about it! Get Alaska 75mm boots, and put Voile 3pin/Traverse on your FT62's. Good kick and glide, more control on the way down, removable cable (put the cable on when you really want some downill power). Add a Voile Anti-Ice plate to take up a bit of room for a better fit with the duckbill.

More power, more control. The Traverse has the 10mm riser which will help you in steep terrain not "boot out" by dragging the binding against the snow.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:12 am

And one more thing... I prefer using the T4 with 85mm waisted skis and the KOM.

While the T4 works well with the V6, I have another ski in the high-90 (97mm) and it is stiffer than the V6 and I ONLY use the T2 with this one. The T4 cannot drive it. Stiffness and weight of ski is a big factor here once you get to these widths and using the T4.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:24 am

I agree that the T4/ Kom or vector is a great combo. That being said, when I went from skis around 70 to the 90s it took some time to get used to the wider skis, and that was with a bigger boot.

My wife who never was a fan of plastic boots or big skis absolutely loves her T4/vector combo.