Broke my x-skins second time using them

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
trashcat
Ski style: attempting to stay upright
Favorite Skis: The ones I'm currently on
Favorite boots: Merrell leathers, Rossi X5's

Broke my x-skins second time using them

Post by trashcat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:46 pm

Moral of the story: take them off when when skiing down stairs in just six inches of cover. In other news, has anyone had any luck with full length skins on the ingstad? I’m finding I’d like more grip for ascents.
image.jpg

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Broke my x-skins second time using them

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 am

Sucky.
The plastic plate on the X-Skin is not as durable as the metal plate of the Skin-Lock...I have a big chunk broken out of my 45mm X-Skin as well (though not as big as yours).

What are you using for a base prep on the ski? What is the temperature and consistency of the snow that you lack traction on?

Current Ingstad BC (i.e. rockered tip) or previous-gen Ingstad (no tip rocker)?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:56 pm

You have to pull the skin off slowly and gradually. If you yank it off the ski in one shot, especially with the ski still on your foot, that’s how you can chip that plastic cover real quick. I know what I am talking about here. IMO it’s a defect, Asnes should redesign. Still the best half skin design out there right now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

trashcat
Ski style: attempting to stay upright
Favorite Skis: The ones I'm currently on
Favorite boots: Merrell leathers, Rossi X5's

Post by trashcat » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 am

I've been going hot-waxed polar the full length and then I think I was using swix blue extra. It was snow that was dumped the day before, can't remember the temperature but I think it was around 20-22 F (on the cold side for blue extra). What I was trying to climb was really short steep hills. I'm used to my rossignol evos on the one end of the spectrum in terms of grip and my home-made altai hok-style skis on the other (with Fischer profoil skins embedded in the kick zone). The Hok style skis would have been able to climb this without too much difficulty, but they're in a totally different class when it comes to traction.