first NTN thoughts- 22 Designs Lynx

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
stilltele

first NTN thoughts- 22 Designs Lynx

Post by stilltele » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:09 pm

Is my heel still free?

Are these broken? I can't believe how stiff these things are! I've got the pin in #1 (is this still an issue? I just found the pdf from the earlier version)

They are like HH in position 5, or worse.

Seriously? Shuffling around in line felt like bondage.
Shuffling around the woods felt worse.

Could this be my boot size - 25?
Can they be altered to be less active?

I always skied HH (starting with the original, before 22D) in position 3

Might as well just go AT because that ain't free heelin'.

voilenerd

Re: first NTN thoughts- 22 Designs Lynx

Post by voilenerd » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:18 pm

I just got my Lynx as well. Frankly I am not happy at all with this binding. I started with zero power spacers and Slic pin in number 1. Way too stiff. I was still able to get my knee to the ski and do deep turns. Performance is a big increase from Axl, but shuffling or making a quick transition after going down then climbing its way too stiff. I have to stop, fiddle with the dam claw and try to wack it down with my pole or hand. I would guess once the springs are worn in the binding will soften up alot but I dont see that coming any time soon.

Another major problem is the claw engaged on me in tour mode a lot going in deep snow. The snow was not dense and within the first 5 minutes of my tour the claw engaged over and over and I ended up using my climbing bails most of the tour. Today, I added spacers and only had one engagement with claw in deep snow. The claw seems to have a mind of its own and is not safe.

The tech toes are also going to take some time getting use to. They are such a pain to clean snow out and take more time going into free pivot mode then Axl.

Ntn however was an easy transition. Feels about the same but cant get over how stiff the binding is and the pain in the ball of my foot. Maybe NTN just feels stiff because the weight is shifted to the ball of foot?

Sorry didnt mean to rant, just frustrated and feel this binding should still be in beta.

JVChap

Post by JVChap » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 am

Oh shite now I'm scared 😬

I just pulled the trigger on these bindings for my new skis...first new stuff in at least 6 years...they will be ready in a day or so...

When I first went to NTN I didn't really like it...had to buy another set of 01s because I'd sold them...glad I'd kept my boots....felt free again...

I eventually started doing more NTN with the Rotty Freedom when doing bigger trips with all AT folks...feeling more solid on steep technical stuff and not getting so exhausted.

...guess I'll soon find out how they treat me

(and maybe not so quick to sell the lightly used Freedoms I bought before learning about the Lynx...)

dropkneesnotbombs

Post by dropkneesnotbombs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:32 am

I had the same issue with extreme activity with my new Lynx this year as well. I think the fiberglass plates needed some time to soften up. After one or two days of resort skiing, they're waaaay better. I used to ski on O1 bindings, and I'd say they're now a bit stiffer on pin #1 and no spacers, but not bad. I enjoy the way they ski.

I've only toured on hardpack so far, so can't talk about snow piling up too much yet. But even with some ice build up, I haven't had issues with the claw or the tech pins so far.

stilltele

Post by stilltele » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:42 am

Glad to read that I'm not on a different planet, and others (here, and other places) think they are really active.
Yes, I could still drop a low knee, but with exertion. And thee cuff of my boots would need to be so damn tight to keep my heel down doing so.
I can "ski tall" well when I want, and don't have a low stance in general (compared to some!) but I don't want to have to work hard when a low dip is in order.
I read someplace that a guy had removed the flex plate entirely and replaced it with something less stiff. Might have to play with that.

Also, I had to reach down to manually help the claw click onto the butt every time. I guess I would need to add some spacers. Won't that further stiffen the feel?

Someone needs to print some cheap plastic caps for the inner Toe arm for protection from the other ski.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:43 pm

A different type of material flex plate may be the ticket. Hard to say, but Im sure 22 designs is working on solution or different options for activity. Ive debated on putting on my boots and just stepping into the bindings on my carpet and doing a flex workout session just to further break in springs and flex plates. :D Id rather ski them but I dont think my feet or legs will want to suffer that much until the springs and flex plate are fully broken in before doing a long 5 hour tour. Yeah I know seems crazy.

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:06 am

The more things change the more they stay the same. Twenty + years on and the consumers are still doing R&D for firms that market tele binders. :roll: :lol:
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

vikingwill

Post by vikingwill » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:02 pm

I got two days out on the lynx so far and I'm feeling a bit of the same thing as you are. I've come from skiing switchback X2's and couldn't believe how tight the springs were on the lynx. After a few runs I started to get used to the activity level and started to enjoy them. I will admit they are good at driving my 118 underfoot skis but I still feel like I lost a lot of feeling and freedom. It's really only been two days so I hold out my judgement for now but it was a little disappointing. I'll have to play around with the different pivot points (they were in the middle) and spring spacers (one spacer) but It would be nice to get them around switchback x2 levels for a bottom end and be able to ramp up from there. Tele is weird, I've heard a lot of people complaining they were too soft and then I thought they were too active.

stilltele

Post by stilltele » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:26 am

Sounds like they could loosen up with use. I need to get my boots pushed out a little so I can get some real turns into the lynx and see how much they soften up.
However, my main plates are cracked already...
Waiting on replacements.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:05 pm

so I get to the mountain today with new power tubes for my free rides, I figure I'll just swap them out in a few mins. well they are so old, that apparently they are corroded and will not unscrew, and therefore will not be removed, and because the cheap plastic teeth are worn, they are stuck on the loosest spring setting. that's the way I skied Snowbird, and was unhappy with the stiffness. so turns out that Pepi's Sports in Vail village rents good tele gear. I will be skiing on some Volks with 22 designs for the next few days. I will report back.

not sure exactly which 22 designs these are on the rentals
22 designs.jpeg