Nnnbc magnum bindings on wide skis???

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Nnnbc magnum bindings on wide skis???

Post by Johnny » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:36 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:22 pm
I agree it's about having fun and discussing different ways of skiing so why did you have to insult many of us by saying that what we do is boring and "why bother"?
Skiing with plastic boots IS utterly boring... Unless you ride at 60mph or ski 50deg slopes... That's what they were made for... That's what I use them for... And they excel at it... XC shoes cannot handle that much power...

Johnny wrote:Plastic ski boots are like having quick, safe sex in the backseat. While skiing with XC shoes is more like slowly making love for hours in the honeymoon suite...

I like when you can REALLY feel every subtle feeling of the snow (or other surfaces/textures : ) It's all about finesse. About slowly feeling gravity pull. About feeling the snow in the palm of your feet. Plastic don't allow those feeling to come through... They act like a Faraday Cage, blocking all the good vibes coming from the snow...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:46 pm

Oh well... this is going nowhere... What about many old farts like me who do mostly XCBC on skinnies and not so skinnies skis and enjoy a couple of turns after many km. Like many I own both plastic and leather boots, all 3 pins, but for what I do I rely 99% of the time on my leather. I guess it depends where you are skiing and for me it happens to be my backyard of farming valley, rolling terrains, old mountains eroded down to big hills, etc. Sometimes I wish I was living closer to bigger mountains with open terrain but this is not what I have on my doorstep...

Anyway, my point is that I don’t get where the discussions is going? It’s like some people need to convince others that their way of skiing is better. Like Fish, I am getting older and I have a business to run and I sure can’t afford to hurt myself trying to do what other people think is better for them. But I sure would like to!m
I suggest that whenever you write something personal on this forum, go spend some time skiing and think it over before pushing the « submit » button... go to a « summit” first ;)

Peace!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Johnny wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:36 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:22 pm
Skiing with plastic boots IS utterly boring... Unless you ride at 60mph or ski 50deg slopes... That's what they were made for... That's what I use them for... And they excel at it... XC shoes cannot handle that much power...

Johnny wrote:Plastic ski boots are like having quick, safe sex in the backseat. While skiing with XC shoes is more like slowly making love for hours in the honeymoon suite...

I like when you can REALLY feel every subtle feeling of the snow (or other surfaces/textures : ) It's all about finesse. About slowly feeling gravity pull. About feeling the snow in the palm of your feet. Plastic don't allow those feeling to come through... They act like a Faraday Cage, blocking all the good vibes coming from the snow...
Boy, you say that like it's fact. You must be a pretty unimaginative skier if you need to go 60 mph in T4s to have fun.

My boots might be heavier than your, but I bet my skis have a lighter touch on the snow than yours, and that's the feeling I'm going for.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Don't worry Martin... We're all hopeless I agree (Well, me at least...) but we do all love each other... 8-)
This discussion happens by itself once a year no matter how hard we try to avoid it...

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:58 pm

Johnny wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:16 pm
Don't worry Martin... We're all hopeless I agree (Well, me at least...) but we do all love each other... 8-)
This discussion happens by itself once a year no matter how hard we try to avoid it...
I agree Johnny, it probably won't happen again soon. At least not until you start dissing cable bindings. :lol:

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Johnny wrote:
I guess we all need a big snowstorm in the east so we go skiing!!! I assume this “angry” “discussions” only involves easterner that are frustrated by the lack of snow that the westerners seem to be keeping for themselves :oops:

The real debate is not plastic vs leather vs NNN vs 3 pins vs whatever...

The real debate is : east vs west... why does the westerners get all the snow? That is the real question we should debate :lol: hi

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:02 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 pm
Johnny wrote:
I guess we all need a big snowstorm in the east so we go skiing!!! I assume this “angry” “discussions” only involves easterner that are frustrated by the lack of snow that the westerners seem to be keeping for themselves :oops:

The real debate is : east vs west... why does the westerners get all the snow? That is the real question we should debate :lol: hi
Speaking of snow... getting a big 2 cm today!!! Snow seems to be even harder to get by this year than sex for some of the guys on the forum :P

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:03 pm

Moving west solves this problem, though. Either us easterners are too tough, too stubborn, too dumb. All up for debate. I'm too dumb to move west. So I convince myself I'm character building instead. Which is dumb because when I'm dead, no one will care, and I will have missed out on some sweet skiing.

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:42 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:

Lookin' good where I'm sittin'.
IMG_1175.PNG

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:48 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Man... No frustration here at all... We had paradisal BC skating ski conditions here in the last 2 weeks...! Amazing, beautiful skiing every single day...!!! These perfect conditions happen only a few times a year...

Also, please always keep in mind two things....Alpine and Off Piste.....one plus the other does not equal two....It's one or the other..
Woodserson wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:03 pm
Either us easterners are too tough, too stubborn, too dumb. All up for debate. I'm too dumb to move west.
And some of us over-compensate their dumbness by overbuying overpriced extreme-high-end imported gear... 8-)