Nnnbc magnum bindings on wide skis???

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Re: Nnnbc magnum bindings on wide skis???

Post by Baaahb » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:02 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:55 am
And this is also the reason why unlike 75mm, you need a pretty good technique to ride NNN-BC downhill...
:roll:

Correction..you need a different technique..with 75mm, you don't need those training wheel grooves. :D

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:49 pm

Baaahb wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:02 pm
Johnny wrote:
And this is also the reason why unlike 75mm, you need a pretty good technique to ride NNN-BC downhill...
:roll:

Correction..you need a different technique..with 75mm, you don't need those training wheel grooves. :D
Or those turn enhancing bumpers. :)

freeheelwilly

Post by freeheelwilly » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:07 pm

Johnny wrote:

Same old story... Heavier and more aggressive gear instead of finesse and grace... The story of humanity...
Definitely not my way of solving problems... Whether for XCD or other spheres of life... 8-)

Peace out
Oh good Lord. This may not work out.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Johnny wrote:

Same old story... Heavier and more aggressive gear instead of finesse and grace... The story of humanity...
Definitely not my way of solving problems... Whether for XCD or other spheres of life... 8-)

Peace out
Have you ever thought that you can ski with finesse and grace with heavier boots and still have good "feel" for the snow? I get a more responsive, more precise carving better controlled ski. This is especially true on a wider ski. I get more out of every hill with T4s and generally ski it better. I also have more confidence that the ski is going to do exactly what I expect and don't have to worry about it getting deflected.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Johnny wrote:
Definitely not my way of solving problems... Whether for XCD or other spheres of life...
Sigh.

Same old story...Some guy thinks their way of doing things is superior, and then disparage any contrary opinions and experiences...The story of humanity...
Definitely not my way of solving problems... Whether for XCD or other spheres of life...

freeheelwilly

Post by freeheelwilly » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:43 pm

What some call "finesse and grace", others call spastic flailing.

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:46 pm

freeheelwilly wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:43 pm
Yes, but the challenge is spastic flailing done with finesse and grace.

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:33 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:46 pm
freeheelwilly wrote:
Yes, but the challenge is spastic flailing done with finesse and grace.
FTW

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:56 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:40 pm
Have you ever thought that you can ski with finesse and grace with heavier boots and still have good "feel" for the snow?
If I ever thought about it??? I spent years searching for the ultimate XCD experience... I tried every possible combination of boots, bindings and exotic skis. Alas, none of them compares to the unique feeling that only NNN-BC and leathers can provide me. I have never experienced that sense of bliss on any other systems and combinations. I'm not saying that you can't have some kind of fun with your heavy artillery... Only for me, I think that life is too short and too precious to not enjoy XCD at its fullest expression...
I get a more responsive, more precise carving better controlled ski. I get more out of every hill with T4s and generally ski it better. I also have more confidence that the ski is going to do exactly what I expect and don't have to worry about it getting deflected.
You are right, those T4s and Excursions that I hate so much give you much more control. But sadly, only 1/100th of the feeling. What is it with that control obsession anyway? Why the need for "confidence", "worry" and "control" in your ski concept? What are you afraid of??? What is it that you fear so much, to the point of strangling your feet in a plastic contraceptive and turn the holy XCD experience into a bland orthodox one? :D

“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”
-Master Yoda (And Gareth too...)
Lo-Fi wrote: I love my 78mm waisted Guide skis, and my 98mm waisted Koms. I'm just not sure the Koms are the most appropriate XCD match to the Magnums and Alaskas.
Just to stir it up... My good old Armada planks, which are my all time favorite NNN-BC downhill skis, are 100mm underfoot... :lol:
freeheelwilly wrote:
Please do not confuse "finesse and grace" with what some call "arcing" and "monomark"... It has nothing to do with it...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

freeheelwilly

Post by freeheelwilly » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:21 pm

Please do not confuse "finesse and grace" with what some call "arcing" and "monomark"
I'm not.

As for the rest of it, I have no idea what you're talking about. Which makes us even because neither do you.

Listen, I don't get involved in these technique debates. They're boring and besides, I'm completely unqualified. But I know a flailing beater when I see one - spotting one of those doesn't take credentials, just a set of reasonably functioning eyes.