22D Lynx inbounds?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
stilltele

22D Lynx inbounds?

Post by stilltele » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:10 pm

Folks, haven't frequented these places in a while, but looking at new gear and now there is all kinds of crap to figure out!
Anyway, hope someone can enlighten me some.
Picked up a pair of Summitcone pariahs, and need bindings.
Really like the lynx, but, have a pass this season and doing more inbounds than usual. 22D seems to really not want them inbounds... "80-90% BC"
I'm about 160 lbs dressed (sans boots!) and (IMHO) a pretty solid tele-er, but no bump basher.

So, what's the implication, that the will break, or wear out with too much inbounds stress?

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Re: 22D Lynx inbounds?

Post by MSU Alum » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:45 pm

There are plenty of reviews out there. I'm on Meidjo's and if your concern is durability of tech fittings/boot interface, I wouldn't worry about it. I have 48 days on mine so far this season with most days involving inbounds bump skiing.

There were some initial growing pains with the Lynx that have been addressed. I'd say ski your heart out, in and out of bounds on them.

stilltele

Post by stilltele » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 am

Yea, I've read the reviews I can find.
I guess I'm wondering what peoples general thoughts are on why 22D doesn't promote these as in bounds bindings.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:07 am

If you really want to stick to 22D, why not go for the Outlaw? It's heavier and beefier than the Lynx, so in theory it should be more heavy-duty and more resistant to in-bounds pressure and stress...

Up to you to decide if the 100$ premium on the Lynx is worth the 1lb difference...

I am putting the M2.1 to the on-piste test too this season... I am trying to destroy them here on the Icecoast under the raddest, hardest, most aggresive frontside conditions. No luck so far... :lol:
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

TomH

Post by TomH » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:14 pm

If you're running mostly resort, I wouldn't want to deal with leashes, so I'd steer towards something with brakes, those being Outlaw, Meidjo, Freeride, or Freedom. Bang for the buck/performance would likely go to the Outlaw, as the Meidjo is spendy and the Freeride/Freedom seem to be a love it or hate it kind of binding, which I don't hear as much of with the Outlaw. I think the brakes on the Freeride are nicer though, and I like the base-plate that allows sliding the binding to a few different positions. I think the biggest consideration will be what boots you plan to use. If you're a Scarpa person, their burliest boot (TX-Comp) doesn't have tech fittings (so Meidjo and Lynx are out), and the TX-Pro ends up being too wimpy for others with relatively soft bellows. If you're going to run Crispi or Scott, then pick your binding, but there's been instances of Crispi Evos having trouble in some of the tech toe bindings, where the tech toe fittings to second heel dimension is off, and lots of folks have heel retention issues in the Scott boots.

stilltele

Post by stilltele » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:42 pm

"Up to you to decide if the 100$ premium on the Lynx is worth the 1lb difference..."

Well, that would only hurt once, right??

Well, this does hinge on boots of course. I'm waiting on a pair of Scarpa TX (not pro, comp, etc.) to see how they fit.

Then I can take it from there...
Might just have to stick with the old trusty (crusty?) Garmont synergy... and then pick a new, old fashioned, 75mm binder.
The Tx pros felt like concrete boots when I tried them on!
Maybe it's just because my synergy are "broken in"

Leashes just help keep my back limber, i hope.

If the boots fit, I like the sound of 1000g!

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:28 pm

I ordered a lynx for my ultravectors but I am going to use them mainly for bc. I had a set Vagabonds from Summit Cone and actually ended up returning them for a refund due to manufacturing issues. The bases were not flat at all and wavy. They skied very stiff and were difficult to turn in trees and steeper terrian. Did not like the ski at all for backcountry sking. The only pluses is the skis did tour well on flats for kick and glide, probably due to stiffness.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:44 pm

stilltele wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:42 pm
"Up to you to decide if the 100$ premium on the Lynx is worth the 1lb difference..."
Well, that would only hurt once, right??
Yep, only once... If they don't break of course, because they can handle only 10-20% of frontside skiing... ;)

Wise choice, get the perfect boots first, then pick the bindings accordingly...

voilenerd wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:28 pm
I had a set Vagabonds from Summit Cone and actually ended up returning them for a refund due to manufacturing issues. The bases were not flat at all and wavy. They skied very stiff and were difficult to turn in trees and steeper terrian. Did not like the ski at all for backcountry sking.
Sad to hear...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

stilltele

Post by stilltele » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Got ‘em, and, they fit!
Well, after a baking session!

Well, guess that's not how you can link photos!

They are going to feel snug after all these years of my slippers..

Just waiting on my summitcone order now.
Just pretending voilenerd’s experience was a sub space anomaly....

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:21 pm

To the OP: I recently read a review on the Lynx that basically said they would not be as good as the Meidjo for frequent area use, due to the binding being more easily damaged by ski edges, etc.:

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/22-de ... est-report