Asnes Mountain Race 48 SKIN

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
jyw5

Re: Asnes Mountain Race 48 SKIN

Post by jyw5 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:02 am

That seems like a surprisingly bad design flaw. Unless of course, you are supposed to swap out the integrated skins when using Xskins??

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:44 am

jyw5 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:02 am
That seems like a surprisingly bad design flaw. Unless of course, you are supposed to swap out the integrated skins when using Xskins??
I remember reading that you were supposed to wear the integrated skins in before you covered them with X-Skins, so I'm pretty sure it's something you're meant to be able to do. Although I can't find that anywhere now.
Last edited by Musk Ox on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:08 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:44 am
jyw5 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:02 am
Well, yes. Stops them from being a convenient solution, for a start.

I've resisted using climbing skins on those skis because I was sort of concerned about exactly this happening.

I remember reading that you were supposed to wear the integrated skins in before you covered them with X-Skins, so I'm pretty sure it's something you're meant to be able to do. Although I can't find that anywhere now

Maybe it's better to take the climbing skins off in the warm? But if so, it means there's no taking the skins off on top of the mountain to enjoy the ride down, which is again... most definitely not the point of actually using climbing skins.
Contact Asnes directly at their Customer Service Email, send pictures. They should be able to help you out. The skin on skin idea is a weird one indeed, but the fact that the attachment is there invites the user to do so...
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Interesting... I remember wondering about this when I first got the MR48s and notice the inserts...

I did use X-Skins over the integrated ones a few times last season when using a pulk sled... No problem at all on my side, it sticked perfectly to the ski, and not a single hair pulled off the skins... But your post reminded me that I did wax the integrated skins when I first got the MR48s... Maybe it would have been different without doing so...?
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:03 pm

I'm really wondering what I did. I only had Swix Skin Care sprayed on. I was too cheap to buy wax.
Last edited by Musk Ox on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:38 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:12 pm
Interesting... I remember wondering about this when I first got the MR48s and notice the inserts...

I did use X-Skins over the integrated ones a few times last season when using a pulk sled... No problem at all on my side, it sticked perfectly to the ski, and not a single hair pulled off the skins... But your post reminded me that I did wax the integrated skins when I first got the MR48s... Maybe it would have been different without doing so...?
I have friends that bought those skis and are now afraid to try their X-skins... I wonder which brand of wax you used.

Thank’s!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:14 am

Maybe I should check my X-skins after all... Maybe I was just too dumb to notice in the woods... I'll take a look to be sure...

I used solid Holmenkol glide wax on the MR48S... Ironed-on of course but I also remember crayoning the skins with the wax block... Perhaps that was enough to prevent the X-Skins to stick...

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:26 am

Johnny wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:14 am
Maybe I should check my X-skins after all... Maybe I was just too dumb to notice in the woods... I'll take a look to be sure...

I used solid Holmenkol glide wax on the MR48S... Ironed-on of course but I also remember crayoning the skins with the wax block... Perhaps that was enough to prevent the X-Skins to stick...
Hey, did you take your skins off in the warm?

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:37 pm

I used them only twice on the MR48S... It was about -10c outside and I was climbing uphill with a 50lbs pulk so a lot of traction was involved...

Well, it seems like I was wrong... I just didn't notice back then... As you can see, there was some yellow leftovers on the skins... But nothing serious really, nothing to worry about... I will try with the Colltex skin wax next time on a new pair of skins just to see if it makes a difference... 8-)

_IMG_5366.jpg
_IMG_5363.jpg

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Have y'all ever tried ductaping you arms? The feeling is phenomenal when you pull it off. Kind of like slapping skins on skins I guess. I would not expect any different result. Wax? Well, who wants wax stuck in the glue base of their skins? Skins on skins sounds like a little over-engineered mishap on Asnes part. No?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM