Falketind 62 Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Re: Falketind 62 Review

Post by boby13 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm

I bought these skis in October and believe it or not, 2 days ago was my first time with them. I wanted to make sure that the snow depth was good enough.
Also met Nitram Tocrut for the first time, we did a 13 km trip from top of Mont-Tremblant to the North side base... lot of fun!
Capture 2.JPG
I'm 5'11" 165 pound and my skis are FT62's 188cm with Alpina Alaska NNNbc.
These skis will pretty much replace my Excursion 88 189cm.
They are the easiest thing to ride down twisty narrow xcD trails, easy to P-turn on hard pack and T-turn in powder.
And on the flat they're pretty stable (the groove on the base probably helps), but the camber is low and soft so its no kick and glide machine. Its the only department where my E88 are a little better (and only on wet snow because I hate the poor glide of scales on dry cold snow)

First impression : Best and easiest xcD ski ever!

So right now my dream team ski quiver is:
-Fischer e99 wax 200cm for XCd
-Asnes FT62 188cm for xcD
-Asnes Ingstad bc 205cm for deep powder traveling

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 pm

boby13 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm
Boby!
You are speaking my language!
(Though you gotta test a Gamme against that E99 Tour! :P )
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Post by boby13 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 pm
(Though you gotta test a Gamme against that E99 Tour! :P )
Probably in the near futur... especially because one of my easyskinz insert on my e99 popped out on a tour and I don't know how it happened. :(
And I don't get any response from the online shop I bought them of. Maybe I'll try to contact fischer directly...

Check this out
20191118_115359.jpg
20191118_115259.jpg

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:44 pm

boby13 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Also met Nitram Tocrut for the first time, we did a 13 km trip from top of Mont-Tremblant to the North side base... lot of fun!

They are the easiest thing to ride down twisty narrow xcD trails, easy to P-turn on hard pack and T-turn in powder.
And on the flat they're pretty stable (the groove on the base probably helps), but the camber is low and soft so its no kick and glide machine.

First impression : Best and easiest xcD ski ever!

I was with boby13 for it's first day with it's FT62 and I had my Rabbs68 mounted with cable Travverse and Alaska. Although I was really pleased with the Rabbs I could see the difference in stability between the 2 skis and boby13 confirmed it in its review. I don't regret buying the Rabbs but if I had to do it again I would get the FT62 (I hesitated a lot between the 2 skis) for the type of ski I do. I kept the cables for most of the trip and I wonder if I lost some stability after taking off the cables? Next time I will try with the cables on and also test the skin to see if it can improve this lack of stability. By the way, I did not use skins as opposed to boby13 and the Rabbs were really good climbers... I guess my 210 pounds are pretty useful to get a better contact between the wax and the snow :D

Have the same dream quiver than baby13 except for the FT62 and that my E99 are at least 20 years old and probably quite different than modern ones.
Last edited by Nitram Tocrut on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:48 pm

I forgot to thank's boby13 for the opportunity he offered me to ski the summits of Tremblant... and he forgot to thank me for finding some water hazards when I was breaking the trail :lol: ... but he did spent at least 10 minutes deicing my skis after I sank in the snow!!!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:05 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:44 pm

I was with boby13 for it's first day with it's FT62 and I had my Rabbs68 mounted with cable Travverse and Alaska. Although I was really pleased with the Rabbs I could see the difference in stability between the 2 skis and boby13 confirmed it in its review. I don't regret buying the Rabbs but if I had to do it again I would get the FT62 (I hesitated a lot between the 2 skis) for the type of ski I do. I kept the cables for most of the trip and I wonder if I lost some stability after taking off the cables?
Talk to us more about this. The Rabb is a wider ski, is it a difference in skills between skiers or a ski thing? Really interested in this opinion!

Thanks for the great write up guys!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:43 am

Boby, you will not believe how much better the kick and glide is when you have 4” (10 cm) of snow. There is extra tension underfoot on the FT. The ski needs to reverse camber a bit in soft snow for this feature to work, but then the k&g really comes to life. It isn’t like a double camber ski, but it should bring a smile to your face. Then bases will not be dragging.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:05 am
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:44 pm

I was with boby13 for it's first day with it's FT62 and I had my Rabbs68 mounted with cable Travverse and Alaska. Although I was really pleased with the Rabbs I could see the difference in stability between the 2 skis and boby13 confirmed it in its review. I don't regret buying the Rabbs but if I had to do it again I would get the FT62 (I hesitated a lot between the 2 skis) for the type of ski I do. I kept the cables for most of the trip and I wonder if I lost some stability after taking off the cables?
Talk to us more about this. The Rabb is a wider ski, is it a difference in skills between skiers or a ski thing? Really interested in this opinion!

Thanks for the great write up guys!
Woods, are you suggesting that I lack skills :?: :o

Seriously, I must admit that boby13 is pretty skilled going down those narrow trails... But the difference I noticed was the added stability he seemed to have while skiing on the “flats” with the FT62. I have no complaint at all about the stability of the Rabbs down the trail.

To answer your question, I think that both the ski and the bindings have a role to play... and maybe the skier :( I had the chance to compare my wife FT62 (only 172 cm and of course too short for me) mounted on 3 pin cable and my Rabbs with Traverse on a really solid crust. The FT 62 would definitively track better and I did not notice any “squirrelling”. The Rabbs were almost all over the place and the difference is most likely the absence of groove as opposed to the FT62. Then I added the cable and it somehow reduced, or that was a Placebo effect..., the “squirrelling” but the most important factor was putting the skins on after removing the cables as I wanted to compare every factor individually. The skins really improved the tracking and although I lost some glide, that wa more than compensated by the increased stability.

BUT, if there is a ”minimum” of 2-3” untouched soft snow we don’t have even have this discussion... but those conditions are scarce for me this year...

I am curious to know if mounting the Rabbs with a simple 3 pin would significantly improve the tracking hability of the Rabbs. I know I felt a difference between a simple 3 pin and a Traverse mounted on Ingstad as I felt more “grounded” without riser... but we can hardly compare the Rabbs with the Ingstad...

I guess I should have posted that in the Rabb review... or the FT62 vs Rabb discussion...

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:46 am

Nitram:

Check your temperature, I think you still have a heavy fever.

If the risers on the Voile Traverse bug you (which they could), you can reinstall the SAME binding without the riser. Its called the 3-pin cable (have voile send you the proper screws or get them at a ski shop). No need to go out and buy another pair of bindings.

Please stop taking those FT62s from you girfriend. One day she will get mad.

If the Rabbs don't suit you, take your Ingstads next time you go out with Boby.

And if you really need to by a pair of FT62s, it would probably be best to by them for me. I'll send you my address via PM, no worries.

Be well.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:12 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Woods, are you suggesting that I lack skills :?: :o

Seriously, I must admit that boby13 is pretty skilled going down those narrow trails... But the difference I noticed was the added stability he seemed to have while skiing on the “flats” with the FT62. I have no complaint at all about the stability of the Rabbs down the trail.

To answer your question, I think that both the ski and the bindings have a role to play... and maybe the skier :( I had the chance to compare my wife FT62 (only 172 cm and of course too short for me) mounted on 3 pin cable and my Rabbs with Traverse on a really solid crust. The FT 62 would definitively track better and I did not notice any “squirrelling”. The Rabbs were almost all over the place and the difference is most likely the absence of groove as opposed to the FT62. Then I added the cable and it somehow reduced, or that was a Placebo effect..., the “squirrelling” but the most important factor was putting the skins on after removing the cables as I wanted to compare every factor individually. The skins really improved the tracking and although I lost some glide, that wa more than compensated by the increased stability.

BUT, if there is a ”minimum” of 2-3” untouched soft snow we don’t have even have this discussion... but those conditions are scarce for me this year...

I am curious to know if mounting the Rabbs with a simple 3 pin would significantly improve the tracking hability of the Rabbs. I know I felt a difference between a simple 3 pin and a Traverse mounted on Ingstad as I felt more “grounded” without riser... but we can hardly compare the Rabbs with the Ingstad...

I guess I should have posted that in the Rabb review... or the FT62 vs Rabb discussion...
No No, stop it.

It might be the riser, it might also be the wider shovel. It might be that his skis are detuned tip and tail and yours are not and the edges are grabbing. It could be skill. There are lots of factors here. The Traverse riser is only 1cm, not much. I bet you can get these skis under control no problemo just by getting used to them. Tough this winter, I know. Slow down a bit, just ski what you have, report back later.