Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:12 pm

I don't need much... Sometimes a few centimeters are enough for plenty of fun...! Et il faut dire que la toute premiere neige est restée au sol pendant genre 3 semaines, ce qui est assez exceptionnel...! Ce fut vraiment un super debut de saison...! 8-)

Mais oui, je suis completement crackpot... La neige m'a toujours fait cet effet... ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:34 pm

Been out a couple of times....since the last time...heh...same conditions but some crust is forming on west sides of hills and logging roads....In the forest very fast powder which has consolidated from 8 inches of dry to 3 inches of fast....Flew down low angle on my very beat 99's....Man do they go!!!!Need repairs....See what happens with the weather...but it could be another working day up on Little Mountain Sunday.....LJ shoulda seen Telekid on those skinnies....So much fun to watch and good memories were had....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:47 am

Fish..Coyotes around here have @ 20% Wolf blood....Think that's what I have read....Up till a decade or so ago most Coyotes were family...Male female offspring's....They keep one from the offspring to help for the next year....But their patterns are evolving...Coyotes here are bigger....Have larger heads and so on....Some (fish and game officers)...have seen some evidence of "Pack" behavior....While cruising the last two years have seen lots of tracks and one in particular seems quite a bit larger....Speculating it's a wolf.....Also have seen at times Mountain Lion tracks....Link and Cougar are within range of each other...So who knows....After much hemming and hawing F+G finally produced evidence that the scat provided them up in Craftsbury Vermont was in fact Mountain Lion then tried to dampen the interest saying it could have been a "panther" from Florida.....Adults had spotted the female with two kits....So Wildlife is coming back....Like that but look behind me on occasion....TM

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:18 pm

With less than 300 total panthers in Florida, I doubt one would migrate north to Vermont in winter; even for the fine backcountry and track skiing in Craftsbury.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:22 am

Right Rock....Coulda been a released Florida Cougar......Just saying what they said.....Most people who saw the three cats were pretty sure what they saw was a genuine Mountain Lion.... A real Vermont catamount.....Like I said have seen what looked like their tracks but I'm no pro....(aren't Florida Cougars black?) TM

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:08 am

No; Florida panthers are brown-tan; look pretty much like those from the Dakotas or west coast; in my uneducated view.
I see you’all have a forecast of sleet and freezing rain, but followed by days of snow. Sounds like “a good base” may be changing to WOW!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:25 am

Be heading out in a bit...Up to Teleknob see what is there....Thinking bout 3 inches of ice freezing rain and sleet....Appears to be several inches of powder on top....109's today....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:40 am

Got a couple of skiing days up in the Highlands and had lots of good skiing.....Solo first time and with Teleking and Telesven the second....Bout 14-18 inches of decent powder up there but can still gouge our skis on thingers under the soft surface.....Bout 30 years ago they (loggers) cut off a large section of "Old Growth".....but they took only the biggest and best......Now the canopy has regrown.....little sticks and small whips have died or in the process....opening up all kinds of possibilities.....Wicked easy access....get out of the car at 2200 feet....25 minutes up and if we want can have a car down 500 feet and get the rolly polly ski down....East and South have steeps while the West has nice rolling terrain.....Heading to Telecamp tomorrow.....Steak....beer....and floating arcs....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:14 am

Good ski yesterday...Teleking, Telekid, Telewood and Snow shoe Donny.....Pork tenderloin....tons of onions....sauerkraut.....Wicked good....All kinds of skis....99's 109's and bones....Short drops excellent turns and arcs...Bit sketchy down in but with @ 20 inches not to bad and the 6 inches of new powder....pretty good for this year of no snow....Rhyme ice with snow attached made for pleasant visuals....Lots of laughter and great cruising...TM

gulfofslides

Post by gulfofslides » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:56 pm

greatgt wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am
As I get even older.....riding becomes more into the mix.....Riding is when your extended....I think the people who hated skinnies and became Alpine Telemarkers called it poodling....What it means is that your 205 skinnies were elongated and the seven foot length becomes 8-9 feet and if your on longer skis then your riding a single gigantic ski...It's long....skinny and you can get the ride of your life....Combine that with the inherit ant double camber and you get a totally different kind of ski....Consider your front ski...leading ski....as the ski that breaks the snow surface....your trailing ski sits just back from the wake and becomes the "riding" ski and you the skier through the magic of double camber get to twitch between the two for a cloud like ride....Since you almost never go across the fall line your speed is always up keeping the skis that are down in the snow blasting...A little twich and the tips drop in...a little weight on the riding ski and the tips surface....In this way you are always scanning for "openings" then you pounce and let them flow down...Slight turning and or arcs bleeds speed allowing you to be in control....When done....I always am amazed when looking back at the mono marks.....Which is frowned on by modern Alpine telemarkers. The meaning of that is you have a tight stance not the (parallel wide spaced legs) of todays telemarkers...(again where do they learn this parallel type stuff?)....Easy, at Alpine areas and PSIA instructors...TM
Monomark is the way to go, well said. Almost forgot the feeling, thanks for reminding me