Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:12 am

Asnes Borge Ousland BC Review.jpg

There has been a lot of talk about the new Ousland ski from Asnes. This new model wasn't released yet and it was already mentionned several times here on the forum. Well, after a small delay, the ski finally landed in North America! (A few weeks ago actually, but I've been way too busy to write lately...) it's another beautiful masterpiece of workmanship. An expedition ski that fits in groomed tracks. An hybrid of the Ingstad, the Gamme and the Amundsen.

We have to admit that the guys at Asnes are pretty good at marketing right? They come out with new models every year and yet, they have a way to make us feel like no matter how many pairs we already own, we absolutely need their latest model. Well, it works, and there is a reason for it. Because really, every model is quite unique. 

This ski has been forged after the preferences of Borge himself and his crew of explorers: " They wanted a narrow waist and a ski that is directional, stiff and with a more classic camber profile and a stiff waist for a good wax pocket." After a few experiments, Asnes came out exactly with what they were looking for. A new ski similar to the Amundsen, but with the stiffness and sidecut of the Gamme, and a tip similar to the Ingstad with generous Nordic Rocker and taper. 

Ousland-comp.jpg

A stiff and true double camber ski, with plenty of power available underfoot. The flex and camber is very similar to the Gamme, stiff and stable, with slightly softer and more forgiving tips. "The camber is based on the success of Gamme and the MR48, we wanted a good wax pocket and a fairly high and stiff camber". It's definitely stiffer than the Mountain Race series though. And wow, only 825g at 200cm! Thanks to the Poplar / Paulownia wood core (And 97 years of ski design...) Full metal edges, X-skins inserts and a nice orange waxable sintered base sporting the words "You haven't failed until you quit trying". I sure can totally identify with this ski! Some Skinny Skier Showing Standard Size Skinny Skis:

Asnes Johnny Ousland.jpg

The Børge Ousland BC is a very light and versatile ski that fits into cross-country tracks. Its full steel edge (2.1 x 1.9 mm) and very lightweight wooden core make it as suitable for longer trips and expeditions towing a pulk as for days out in hard and icy ski tracks. Using the same steel edge on both our mountain skis and most of our alpine skis, we can guarantee both good edge control in all conditions and superb durability. This ski’s full-length camber profile and pronounced wax pocket make it a superb choice for excursions where good glide is essential. It’s sole – designed for good wax absorption and durability, and ground to function in Nordic conditions – makes it perfect for long outings in Nordic and polar snows.

The Ousland BC’s moderate side cut offers both directional stability and control turning on hard snow, while its soft front tip with a Nordic rocker (lifted tip) and taper (the distinctive profile at the tail) makes for a ski that easily handles difficult conditions in the mountains well and reassuring float. Its light wooden core in poplar and paulownia makes for a playful, solid ski with good camber and very low weight: the Børge Ousland BC only weighs just over 800 grams per ski in 200 cm length). With a longitudinal stiffness and construction affording an excellent carrying capacity, meanwhile, one thing is clear: there should be no limits as to how far and how long you can ski on these bad boys.
ousland1280.jpg

According to Asnes, the new Borge Ousland BC ski should become the new gold standard for arctic and polar expeditions, as well as for long outings, traverses and the Åsnes Expedition Amundsen race:  "It is just more playful and versatile than the Amundsen ski, with a lot of the same advantages. The Amundsen is still unique because of it’s longitudinal and even camber/flex profile from tip to tail, so it will have it’s place. But in a more commercial sense, I believe the Børge Ousland BC will appeal to more people."

Ok, so I have my 210cm Ousland BC skis. Along with my ALFA Polar APS boots and my Combat NATO poles, I am now fully ready for the North Pole. (Well ok, the Northern sections of the Green Mountains... And even the North side of my town sometimes.) To be continued later this winter...

Asnes Borge Ousland BC
Steel edge, skin insert, waxable/sintred sole
66-52-60
825g per ski (200cm)

/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:27 am

Johnny, any chance we can get a picture of these skis with bases compressed to see the nordic rocker and maybe how it compares to the Gamme?

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:27 am
Johnny, any chance we can get a picture of these skis with bases compressed to see the nordic rocker and maybe how it compares to the Gamme?
Sure! Coming soon...! 8-)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:35 am

Johnny wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:12 am
Ok, so I have my 210cm Ousland BC skis. Along with my ALFA Polar APS boots and my Combat NATO poles, I am now fully ready for the North Pole.
You're still missing a one-piece swimsuit!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Danylewich » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Johnny, really looking forward to hearing how these work in practice. I'm still debating between the Ousland and the Gamme for my quiver of two - the other skis is an FT62 for xcD. So comparison between Gamme/Ousland would be helpful to me!

Seems like my choice might be made for me, since La Cordee is already sold out of the Gamme in my size.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Danylewich wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Seems like my choice might be made for me, since La Cordee is already sold out of the Gamme in my size.

I would say to grab your skis real soon. They are already short on some other Åsnes skis as well.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks Ben, but I'd rather ski naked... It's easier for hot springs to hot springs touring... 8-)

Dany, they are very similar guys. It's a matter of preference here... It all depends on how you like your tips: stiff like Gamme with a bit of NR, or stiff enough like Ousland with a little more Nordic Magic... Hard to choose, I know... I don't think you can make a wrong choice between the two...

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Danylewich » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks Johnny, it feels like the most important decision in my life right now . . .

Nitram/Martin, yes, I'll have to move quickly! Not sure where you are in Quebec. Any recommendations around the Mt. Tremblant National Park area? I am going to the Park itself for a couple of days over Christmas. But open to suggestions!?

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:13 am

Danylewich wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Nitram/Martin, yes, I'll have to move quickly! Not sure where you are in Quebec. Any recommendations around the Mt. Tremblant National Park area? I am going to the Park itself for a couple of days over Christmas. But open to suggestions!?

Hi Dany,

I live about one hour south of Tremblant and I suggest you to send a PM to boby13 He is in Tremblant and he posted about it a couple of times. Me and boby13 are planning to ski the summits of Tremblant but he just told me that there was not enough snow at the moment... just like about everywhere in Québec just before the holidays :(

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Take the time to stop at LaCordee and handle them both... Feel the flex and sidecut, you will know instantly which one is for you... (I know, both probably... ;) )