narrow xcd skis- to mount a riser or not- that is the question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: narrow xcd skis- to mount a riser or not- that is the question

Post by lowangle al » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Not loss of balance, it's body mechanics. When you have a wide stance your inside legs needs to be a little bowlegged to get your edge down. I think this has been called a cowboy turn for that reason. It's just harder to get more of a steep angle and keep both skis weighted. Try it on the carpet sans skis.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:59 pm

I don't know- I find it much easier to engage my edges when my feet are hip-width apart...
Just tried it with my plastic boots on too...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:00 am

You're right the more narrow you go the easier it is to edge, that's why with the skis close together it's easy to get to get so much angle that the binding digs into the snow. The more open your stance the less likely you will boot out.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:34 am

Been a bit since I saw this thread.....Musta been that ROCK band down in Nashville.....Thought "BOOT-OUT was demolishing your boot and your toes coming out.....Happened more than once....Some of us are slow learners!!!!!! Wide stance for downhill is downhill technique.....Skinnies are not Alpine skis and are made for bush....hills.....mountains.....gullies....forest....They do everything....with the bare minimum.....I am prejudiced against any kind of thing device, that separates your feet from the goods....Feel it!....Risers remove some of the feel from the board....If your going into Nordic world then constant input is a must and your feeling from the closeness of your feet to the snow is important.....Nordic leather boots with their flexing softness helps the process......More feel more input better mind prosing.....And....like Frost said....."it made all the difference....Arc on everybody....TM