Karhu Guide / Madshus Annum + NNN BC ?!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lo-Fi

Karhu Guide / Madshus Annum + NNN BC ?!

Post by Lo-Fi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:26 am

Anyone want to share an opinion on the appropriateness of a Karhu Guide / Madshus Annum ski mounted with NNN-BC bindings?

I would be using them, looking for turns, with Alpina Alaska'ish boots.

Thanks!

FrenchFred
Ski style: Cross Country Downhill - Mainly downhill
Favorite Skis: FT62, K2 Backlite 74
Favorite boots: Alaska NNNBC, Alpha Free XP

Re: Karhu Guide / Madshus Annum + NNN BC ?!

Post by FrenchFred » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:15 am

Not tried this set up...
But that could be nice on soft snow in order to feel the right balance in telemark turn ? :idea:
Fred

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Pins!!!!! TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:53 pm

I know Lilcliffy has posted he switched his Annum to NNN-BC, and he wrote about it favorably.
I’m impressed with with NNN-BC and Alaska’s with my USGI skis. I can turn those on hardpack quite easily. I ski other skis in soft snow. If I wasn’t mounting my old Fisher S-112 3 pin cable for guests, I would probably mount it NNN. I can over power the S-112 with the Ski March well beyond that ski’s torsional ability to hold an edge. It is a soft snow ski, and I believe I could get full performance out of it NNN / Alaska, but I have an old pair of 3 pin boots that fit a long time ski partner. He wants to trail and backcountry ski with me this year. I have a spare pair of USGI and the S-112, not a bad loaner quiver.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:39 pm

There was a time when my old Guides and my Alpina Alaska 75s were my favorite backcountry tools. They were #1 for me. I honestly and naively thought pins were the best. Then one day, the normal evolution of the intelligent telemark skier (read: the ski Gods) made me upgrade the old Karhu Guides to NNN-BC. Wow. Suddenly, the old Guides became 10 times more fun and more powerful. (!!!) Nothing could have been better than this. Nothing. Then came the NNN-BC Voile Objective. Very similar to the Guide, but lighter, wider and rockered. 10 times more fun than NNN-BC Guides. (That actually makes them 10x10 times more fun than Guides and pins... 8-) )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pm

I know Lilcliffy has posted he switched his Annum to NNN-BC, and he wrote about it favorably.
I’m impressed with with NNN-BC and Alaska’s with my USGI skis. I can turn those on hardpack quite easily. I ski other skis in soft snow. If I wasn’t mounting my old Fisher S-112 3 pin cable for guests, I would probably mount it NNN. I can over power the S-112 with the Ski March well beyond that ski’s torsional ability to hold an edge. It is a soft snow ski, and I believe I could get full performance out of it NNN / Alaska, but I have an old pair of 3 pin boots that fit a long time ski partner. He wants to trail and backcountry ski with me this year. I have a spare pair of USGI and the S-112, not a bad loaner quiver.

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:39 pm
There was a time when my old Guides and my Alpina Alaska 75s were my favorite backcountry tools. They were #1 for me. I honestly and naively thought pins were the best. Then one day, the normal evolution of the intelligent telemark skier (read: the ski Gods) made me upgrade the old Karhu Guides to NNN-BC. Wow. Suddenly, the old Guides became 10 times more fun and more powerful. (!!!) Nothing could have been better than this. Nothing. Then came the NNN-BC Voile Objective. Very similar to the Guide, but lighter, wider and rockered. 10 times more fun than NNN-BC Guides. (That actually makes them 10x10 times more fun than Guides and pins... 8-) )
Thanks y'all for the thoughts so far! It's about all I need to hear to do it.

This is kind of my last kick at NNN BC. I've tried to love it over the years but it just hasn't worked out (I'm purging my 10th mountain xcd skis). I always assumed that I just didn't have powerful enough boots. I know my Guides turn well enough with t4/excursions so, just maybe, it would be cool if I could get something similar out of them with a lighter, better pivoting, nnn bc boot...

Johnny, what boots have you been using?

I have these to use:

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:58 am

Very nice boots! They look pretty stiff...

I went from Alaska 75s to Alaska BCs... And for me it was night and day... I now only use the 75's for light XCing, and keep the BCs for pure downhill action. Well, to be honest, since last season, I use the new Alfa Guard Advance for almost everything...

But tell me, you don't like your Alaska BC? You seem to enjoy them a lot in your 10th MTN vids... 8-)

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:40 pm

I only had the Alpina Alaskas as demos for a couple of days and did that vid at the time.

Thanks for all the info. I'm now intrigued by those Alfas.

My next step is to take the switchbacks off my guide skis and mount the nnn bc bindings, and then go for a ski.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:08 pm

There is no turning back once you find the secret of NNN Downhill. All you need is to refine your technique and your heels will be free for real... For life... I haven't used cable in years, no matter the terrain...

Please share your NNN adventures here... And keep those vids coming! 8-)