Older Scarpa T1

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
kristian

Older Scarpa T1

Post by kristian » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:44 am

I have a pair of Scarpa T1 which has been laying in a closet for 12 years... They look ok, but does anyone know if the plastic takes any structural damage from this long time?

I decided to pick up Telemark again, and bought a new pair of skis, but I'm so far happy if I don't have to buy new NTN boots and bindings also.

teledance

Re: Older Scarpa T1

Post by teledance » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:40 am

I still use an old pair of Candy Cane T-race to hike with and no cracks yet.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:45 am

I imagine the plastic ages and degrades over time, but as long as the boots were stored out of direct sunlight and at room temperature, they will probably be ok to ski in. Keep an eye out for cracks developing at the flex points and on the shell overlap, these are normally the first bits that show the boot is on it's way out. In my job, I regularly deal with people in 10+ year old alpine ski boots who are still going strong, I just tell them the same thing and to think about replacing the boot if they have any doubts regarding safety.

kristian

Post by kristian » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:55 am

OK, thanks. No cracks so far :D

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:19 pm

I have T1 and T2 boots that are over 20 years old, and I still use them occasionally -- no cracks yet, but the bellows are softer from heavy earlier usage.

kristian

Post by kristian » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:38 am

Yes, I also had a feeling they were a little bit softer as I remember them when I tried them on, but does it bother you?

teledance

Post by teledance » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:58 am

It only bothers me on the first turn and I adjust, more like heavy slippers nowadays but years of BC on mine.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:16 am

Don't worry, they are going to be fine... You will see it when they should be retired; it is really an empirical process... T1 are very solid. Which model? Yellow and black, grey and black, black with red buckles, 3 or 4 buckles?
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

kristian

Post by kristian » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:53 pm

Yeah, I look forward to try them properly. Putting them on for the first time in years was like meeting an old friend :D
They are black and... black, only with a grey detail on the buckles. 3 buckles.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 pm

The 3-buckle black T1 with grey detail? Dude, those aren't that old ;- ) I agree with Rodbelan -- you should be fine with those for a while. I also have a pair of the black and yellow T1s (the "Bumblebees") from about 15 years ago, and they are still are doing great. I skied them just last week at A-Basin.