narrow xcd skis- to mount a riser or not- that is the question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

narrow xcd skis- to mount a riser or not- that is the question

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:28 am

Martin and I have been chatting offline for some time now regarding mounting 75mm bindings on "narrow" xcd skis-
By narrow, I mean less than 70mm underfoot.

Specifically, our deliberation has been about what 3-pin 75mm binding to mount on the following skis-
1) Asnes Ingstad (62mm)
2) Asnes FT62 (62mm)
3) Asnes Rab68 (68mm)

Context- backcountry touring- lots of fresh soft snow.

Mount a riser plate on a ski this narrow?
Why or why not? Pros? Cons?
I mounted the Voile 3-pin hardwire on my Storetind (68mm) because I wanted to try a more "powerful" binding than the 3-pin cable...
Though I appreciated the riser on groomed hard snow at my local hill-
Touring on soft backcountry snow I find the riser makes the narrow Storetind too "nervous" or "twitchy" when touring (they are fine when downhill skiing)...
I have same binding and riser on my Altai Kom (98mm) and they are excellent...
Thoughts?
What have you mounted- or what would you mount- on skis this narrow for XCD touring?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: narrow xcd skis- to mount a riser or not- that is the question

Post by fisheater » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:19 am

I know I was a supporter of the riser on the Storetind, however I can only apologize for not realizing how skinny they were at the waist. I have 3-pin cable bindings mounted on my FT 62 and would not consider putting a riser under that binding. I cannot see a benefit. I have skied that ski binding combination in powder, hardpack, crust, yellow ice at a resort, snow cone tilled on top of ice at a resort. I never once thought a riser would improve the performance of the ski. However I have come to the conclusion sometimes plastic boots and a alpine type ski work best in alpine conditions.
I also have skied my USGI in many different conditions and also have never thought about wanting a riser plate under those skis.
I mounted my Tindan 86 with a riser, and it seems to be the correct decision, time on the snow will tell. I plan to remount my S-112 3 pin cable. That ski lacks the power to edge on hardpack, so I can’t justify the dollars for the riser. I think in the conditions that ski handles well there really is not a benefit to a riser.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Cool- thank you for your perspective/experience Bob. I am very happy with NNN-BC on my FT62, but the 3-pin cable- without the riser- is the 75mm binding that I would mount on it as well- for touring on soft snow.
(I am actually considering mounting the 3PC on my Storetind...)

Calling Woods- Whatcha goin to mount on your FT62 and Rabb68?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:05 pm

As some of you know now, I am one of those weird peeps who converted from NNN-BC back to 3pin for BC skinnies. This is also the case for my E99s (Make sure you get TM's opinion on this, :lol: !). They are just so much more fun and easier to turn whenever I point them down with that boot/binding combo. I have tried skis with risers and I have found I do not appreciate them on the flats. As my skinnies are also used tons on the flats, I skip the risers (and only use very thin heel pads). You are lighter, closer to the snow and more stable.

Of the three Asnes skis on your OP list, I would only consider risers on the Rabb, and only if I would be using them exclusively for more alpine oriented skiing (Parc de la Gaspésie for instance).
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:55 am

If I were racing on ice.......probably would have risers.....With light leathers and pins....there isn't much between your toes and the snow....seems to enhance your ability to FEEL whats happening in the snow....Since your slicing on skinnies feel is input...."B" those e99's are such great skis....Have a bunch of old Asnes skinnies out back....!0=20 sets....hidden in there are two sets of high tipped oldie.....e99's....200 and 215's.....They will get mounted soon and will see....My 205's are ready as are my newish e109's.....Skied them soon after I bashed my head but....snicker....can't remember!!!!! TM :D

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:58 am

Oooooh man, the riser question. I have big love for risers in almost all aspects. I started using risers on skis that were 76mm underfoot back in the 90's and have largely never looked back. Easier turning, more boot clearance, a place to hide the heelpiece while climbing so I don't have to keep taking off the cables. With my XC skis I tend to not raise the binding because NNN-BC don't come with risers anyway. Which somewhat brings me to my current logic-- if I choose a binding with a riser, like the Voile 3-pin Hardwire, the riser stays. If it doesn't, then I generally don't rise. This basically only makes me scratch my head when I decide between the Voile 3-pin Cable and the Voile Traverse... same binding, but rise or no rise?

I have a pair of Fischer Boundless Wax (68mm waist) with the old 15mm G3 riser and the Voile 3-pin Cable and it's awesome. Really nice. Turns great! So easy. Also, the cables can lay on the ski and I won't step all over the heel bails while yo-yoing. With a judiciously placed heel pad this is a benefit. So as far as I'm thinking it's going to be at least a Traverse or a Hardwire on the Rabb, the FT62 is where I'm really flummoxed.

Part of me says to keep it flat, but I like risers and, as GreatGT mentioned, I like getting my boot a little more off the snow for less snag. Which is another benefit.... sounds like I just talked myself into it-- Risers all around! Woot!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Woods,
I found your perspective interesting, as I usually do. I have the opposite perspective, but then I thought that you are probably skiing with plastic boots. Is that a correct assumption?
If I was skiing my T4, I would probably prefer my 3-P Hardwire binding. For me, the 3-P cable, my Ski March boot, and the FT 62 are a perfect match.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:40 am

Great question, I should have clarified. I'm going to use the Rabb with both the leathers and the T4. With the HW's I'll switch between the black and blue cartridges depending on what boot I'm using. The FT62 will probably be leather only, so the Traverse. I don't think it changes my opinion on rise vs no rise. I 100% see the no-rise perspective and get it, I DON'T have judgey feelings about no-rise, but honestly I think I like sticking with what I know, which may reflect in my opinion.

EDIT: WOAH WOAH WOAH added "DON'T"

STG

Post by STG » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:01 pm

I vote no on the risers, but my opinion probably isn't relevant because I am small, XX, different skeletal-muscular structure, weigh less, lower center of mass than the other people on this forum. I like being close to the snow even if I have drag from my 3-pin bindings. It's a matter of personal preference; no one size fits all.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:34 pm

I would skip the riser on a narrow xcd ski for sure. I was going to mount my vectors w/o risers but for what I do with the ski I decided I wanted the security of a four hole mount over a three hole mount.