Lift assisted BC/XC Cascade Mini "Tour"

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
wooley12

Lift assisted BC/XC Cascade Mini "Tour"

Post by wooley12 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:21 am

When it's noon and the mountains say snow and the wife says "Go" you go. Even if the Avy warning is at moderate and you have to go solo. Got to the "trail head" at 1 when spaces start opening in the parking lot. 20 feet of human powered vert got me up another 1200.
lift.JPG
50 feet of vertical using my level 9 harring bone skilz gets me to the top.
50ftVert.JPG
Then it's all downhill. Past the warming shack, ammo dump and about a mile back to the bar.
alldownhill.JPG
4 inches of fresh powder on a firm 10 foot base. Except for the snow bridges over the creek. EEK!! And me being solo. I met a snowboarder a little further on who had back tracked after sliding in the trees and losing his partner. Tree well danger is a real deal. We skied to down the shack and had a text from his partner.
happyplace.JPG
Looking back up to the warming shack. I met the nordic ski patrol doing a sweep and we chatted about the quality of snow and of life and about a mutual friend who had been a patroller and alpine ski guide and wonderful human being who's life was too short. We agreed to dedicate our last run of the day to his memory.
backatshack.JPG

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Lift assisted BC/XC Cascade Mini "Tour"

Post by Woodserson » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am

Quality! Where is this network? Is is the one behind Summit?

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Yes. Lift access via Silver Fir or Summit East.

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Its nice to see our trails mentioned on TT. If you get up to the Nordic area at Summit At Snoqualamie, especially on a Saturday, ask for me (jack) and say hi. I patrol those Nordic trails all winter.

The trails are nice, well groomed for both classic (track) and skate. The Nordic trails are at the top (~4,000 ft.) so the snow is usually nice. We often have 8+ feet still on the ground around 1 April. There are a lot of loops and trails at the top and the Mt. Catherine loop, once we get it open, is a nice 10 mile loop. Mt. Catherine is nicest, in my mind, starting at the top, by the Grand Junction warming hut and working your way down to the bottom of East (Hyak). Beautiful trail.

jack

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Jack wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm
Its nice to see our trails mentioned on TT. If you get up to the Nordic area at Summit At Snoqualamie, especially on a Saturday, ask for me (jack) and say hi. I patrol those Nordic trails all winter.

The trails are nice, well groomed for both classic (track) and skate. The Nordic trails are at the top (~4,000 ft.) so the snow is usually nice. We often have 8+ feet still on the ground around 1 April. There are a lot of loops and trails at the top and the Mt. Catherine loop, once we get it open, is a nice 10 mile loop. Mt. Catherine is nicest, in my mind, starting at the top, by the Grand Junction warming hut and working your way down to the bottom of East (Hyak). Beautiful trail.

jack
Jack,

I used to ski up at Snoqualamie years ago when I lived in Seattle... what are your thoughts on classic wax/non-wax up there on the trail system? Let's say I return for a visit, but only want to bring one pair of skis, would you recommend a wax ski, or is it too variable and I should hedge my bets with a waxless?

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Just got my $79 Geezer Season Pass. Will do. Weekends are for Nordic.

MalouMattsson

Post by MalouMattsson » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:44 am

wooley12 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:21 am
When it's noon and the mountains say snow and the wife says "Go" you go. Even if the Avy warning is at moderate and you have to go solo. Got to the "trail head" at 1 when spaces start opening in the parking lot. 20 feet of human powered vert got me up another 1200.
lift.JPG

50 feet of vertical using my level 9 harring bone skilz gets me to the top.
50ftVert.JPG

Then it's all downhill. Past the warming shack, ammo dump and about a mile back to the bar.
alldownhill.JPG

4 inches of fresh powder on a firm 10 foot base. Except for the snow bridges over the creek. EEK!! And me being solo. I met a snowboarder a little further on who had back tracked after sliding in the trees and losing his partner. Tree well danger is a real deal. We skied to down the shack and had a text from his partner.
happyplace.JPG

Looking back up to the warming shack. I met the nordic ski patrol doing a sweep and we chatted about the quality of snow and of life and about a mutual friend who had been a patroller and alpine ski guide and wonderful human being who's life was too short. We agreed to dedicate our last run of the day to his memory.
backatshack.JPG
Very beautiful. I hope this winter will be just as fabulous!

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:11 pm

This year is getting off to a slow start but the best skiing is Jan - May, hooray!

IMO, the maritime snowpack and relatively low elevation make the conditions so variable that if you only have a day or two fishscales are highly recommended.

Jack, If you're still going to be working again this year send me a pm and we can meet at the Grand Junction hut. I meet some interesting folks there.