The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Chisana wrote:I have very shinny ankles and a pretty large foot. Really have trouble tightening boot around the ankle using surgeons knots on my asolo snowfields. Dont recall having this problem on my merrel ultras. Will give al's lacing method a try and may even order some no stretch laces as suggested on another thread.

Chisana, were you in Anchorage on Monday? I saw a guy in Spenard with very skinny ankles and large pretty feet, he was continually pulling his socks up. :lol:

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:46 pm

lowangle al wrote:For the hammer I'd recommend an 8 lb. sledge, but don't swing it too hard, and always keep one in your pack. ;) I just use my palm, it also works for plastic boots.
Good idea Al,

But do you take the palm out of its pot when you bring it to the BC? I'm worried it would get hurt somehow.
palm.jpg
By the way, congratulations on the new title, it was about time they recognized your talent!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:01 pm

managed to get out on the Rifugio today - fantastic! They seem like Merrell Ultras with better leather. Definitely a step up from Antarctic in support, feels more solid. Amazing buttery leather feeling on the first trip! No foot pain at all. They have a higher volume fit than Crispi Antarctic which allows my orthodics to fit inside.

size 47 is 1/2 size too big but that enables me to wear full-thickness socks which is nice. I don't think a full size smaller (46) would be wide enough for me. They felt a bit loose but I was in break-in mode and didn't tighten the laces much. The only possible complaint I would have is the gore tex, or sympatex or whatever liner is in there - not a fan of adding this to leather boots.

I can see why people get excited about these, they just seem better in every way for ski touring. The leather is better than any other tele boot I've used. Both these and the Zenith are comfortable for XC skiing but very solid for turns. With an E99-type ski you're ready to ski just about anything, the Refugio should easily power any ski from Ingstad size on down for tele turns. The ankle/shin part is a little higher and beefier than Antarctic.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for the report there Canna, and for bringing us back on line....I don't know where I was going!

I am glad you enjoy for rifugios so much.

And they fit you without stretching? That would be the ticket.

I had my Arkos (so basically Andrew) Greenlands out for their first tour today. I also am absolutely amazed at the construction of these. The uber thick neoprene lining is incredible. Its like dipping your feet into a jacuzzi tub. And these very boots are probably 20 years old...great workmanship, built to last.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Chisana wrote:I have very shinny ankles and a pretty large foot. Really have trouble tightening boot around the ankle using surgeons knots on my asolo snowfields. Dont recall having this problem on my merrel ultras. Will give al's lacing method a try and may even order some no stretch laces as suggested on another thread.

Chisana, were you in Anchorage on Monday? I saw a guy in Spenard with very skinny ankles and large pretty feet, he was continually pulling his socks up. :lol:

By golly , that was probably me. I was up in los anchorage shopping for sock suspenders.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:05 am

Chisana wrote:
lowangle al wrote:

By golly , that was probably me. I was up in los anchorage shopping for sock suspenders.
Excellent, they should speed up your skiin. Any good snow down your way?

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:39 pm

bgregoire wrote: And they fit you without stretching? That would be the ticket.
no, they were in my cobbler workshop for a couple weeks! I have mutated feet, it's a miracle if anything fits me. That's where the overall quality of Andrew boots comes in - because of the quality of leather and skill of the cobbler the boots fit and support you better. The leather naturally conforms to your feet, even odd foot shapes. Even though the boot is oversize and too large in the heel area it's able to adapt and lace tight to my ankles on the first ski, the vast majority of boots can't do that.

I love these full-leather boots for everything hiking & skiing, it's always surprised me they're not more popular. For an extra $100 over most NNNBC boots you get something worth 10 times more IMO. For BC cross-country and telemark skiing I get such a great feeling of control from solid leather boots with the thick 3-pin sole underfoot. When I tried Fischer's 75mm boots I literally could not even get the boot to close tight on my ankle, there was like 1 inch of slack space over the back of my foot with everything tightened. And yet these boots vastly outnumber the ones from Andrew Shoes.

Much better to have one good pair of Andrew boots instead of 3-4 pairs of fake leather boots cranked out of a machine IMO.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:57 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Chisana wrote:
lowangle al wrote:

Excellent, they should speed up your skiin. Any good snow down your way?

Good skiing down here in the flatlands,Al. Snow came late but good, then lost it to a chinook about the 1st of the year, but great again now. Mostly skiing groomed and knwr trails. Unfortunately can't report on cooper landing and summit area,as I haven't been up there but hope to change that soon.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:28 am

Where are the trails in the knwr? I've been wanting to do an overnighter on the canoe trails and icefish for some rainbows.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:19 am

Pull my laces tight then put on the Gaitors....Heh....sometimes there is a bit..uh...a lot of play there but if your not hammering turns no worries....Yesterday was decent with @ 14 inches of very fast silky powder and it kept me wide awake with snow eyes....Didn't that feel wicked good for oldie eyes....Pushed off the moderate side of the knob and a few hundred yards later came to a wonderful end...Knew it was good but for the life of me couldn't remember much of anything but a feeling of delight....Meandered up the ridge looking for short three or four turn shots...Everywhere wonderful possibilities...Will see for today....TM