Tele fail

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Slow
Ski style: Lift served/touring for turns. Timid.
Favorite Skis: Head Monster i75 for hardpack.
K2 Sidestash for everything else.
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Re: Tele fail

Post by Slow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:13 am

No, never done that. In front of a a camera, that is... :mrgreen:

Very nice skiing. Kudos.

If I may humbly propose the use of a helmet as well.
Mostly harmless.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:28 am

Helmut? No, his name is Gus (I think)...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:38 pm

Verskis wrote:This is not as spectacular as Lo-Fi's faceplant, but here is my recent tele fail caught on camera:
Phew! It really isn’t just me.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:04 pm

LoFi, you got up too quickly. We usually lay in the snow and let the embarasement of the fall soak in for a minute before trying to redeem ourselves.
LoFi... heck yeah I've been there. First day of powder is my most common face plant scenario... I really don't fall often... partly because I just don't like it ( it's ungraceful, and I hate snow down my back, or wherever)... and partly related to Lowangle's take on it: I like to ride in control, rather than charge and burn.

And one more, Slow... personally, I think helmet's are a bit overused/overrated for BC skiing - but that's not a preaching statement, just a little point of view. I do wear one for lift served (mostly because they're warm, dry, and there are lots of bozos out there), but less often in the BC. That said, I did bounce my head off a tree, wearing a helmet, on one side country foray years ago...

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:42 am

I don't want to hit my bare head on a tree, therefore I use a helmet all the time. Plus, it makes a good mounting point for a light, as I mostly ski in the dark.
I also wear knee pads most of the time.
But you can wear more or less protection than I do, I'm not going to preach that my way is the only way.

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 pm

Verskis wrote:I don't want to hit my bare head on a tree, therefore I use a helmet all the time. .
I don’t want to hit my bare head either. That’s why I wear a toque.

(Wait for it. The gif takes a second to load...)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:23 am

LoFi, firstly I would like to compliment you on your smooth skiing and I do enjoy your videos. I too was bulletproof when falling until just this year. This year two falls resulting in injury. Dislocated ribs, and bounce the butt of the pole handle off my cheekbone and ripped my ear open in the process. Fortunately I also wear a hat, and the noggin is okay!
I have bounced into trees, and was generally surprised when they stood and I fell! Best wishes to stay "bulletproof ".

HBS

Post by HBS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Just a note on helmets - I did CPR for half an hour on a dead 22 year old who took a header into buried rocks on Quandary last month. After reading up on ski helmets I doubt he would be alive with one based on what they are tested for (probably still died from concussion) but it at least would have been an open casket.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Wow that's tragic HBS. Was that in a professional capacity or did you just happen upon the scene while out for a ski?

HBS

Post by HBS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Believe me, there is nothing professional about my skiing! I was out for a ski with two friends - Quandary is an "easy" 14er in winter and can be a good avalanche safe ski in a 25 degree bowl and then along a ridge. Nearby the Breckenridge resort got 12" a day or two earlier so it sounded like good skiing on Quandary but the new snow just covered up rocks and was more like 4 or 5" about 13,000 feet.

I saw a few shallow breaths when I got to the scene and dug through my pack for my first aid kit thinking we had to control bleeding. His forehead was covered by one of the two guys that got there before me with a wool mitten and I didn't really get a good look at the head wound. He stopped breathing before I could even get bandages out and I initiated CPR until flight for life got there. Another 5 or 6 people stopped to help when they saw me doing CPR so we got a rotation going. Paramedics words were "injuries not consistent with life" when he removed the mitten and blood clot - I think I was too afraid to look.

Just a reminder that one bad turn can go tragically wrong, so wear your helmets! Even if they are mostly advertising.