Winter Storm Harper

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
trashcat
Ski style: attempting to stay upright
Favorite Skis: The ones I'm currently on
Favorite boots: Merrell leathers, Rossi X5's

Winter Storm Harper

Post by trashcat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Hey all,

Just thought I'd post about my skiing the last couple of days. Not exactly a trip, unless you count driving 20 minutes to the local state forest as a trip. Anyway, we here in Ithaca got about a foot of snow with the latest storm, so I was finally able to get out and properly test my homemade skishoes, and I have to say they performed pretty darn well. They're about 135cm with 10mm tips and were able to break trail admirably well. Almost no glide, but they turn excellently with my Fischer BCX675s in moderate terrain and they climb like the dickens. Skied once on the finger lakes trail in Robert Treman State Park and once on the finger lakes trail in Danby State forest. Also broke out my Rossignol Evo Action skis (51-47-49) and skied a couple hours at Danby on those too today. As slow as the skishoes are, they're about as fast as the Rossignols if you consider their uphill and downhill prowess. Still, it was nice to be on some skis with a little glide for a while.

How's y'all doing?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Winter Storm Harper

Post by bgregoire » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Nice!

Doing great here, having skied over 50cm of new snow. A neatby quarry that is hardly ever skiable was so we got to loop some nice turns a 15-min ski ride from our backyard. Those Ingstad are Fabulous. Thanks again.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

trashcat
Ski style: attempting to stay upright
Favorite Skis: The ones I'm currently on
Favorite boots: Merrell leathers, Rossi X5's

Post by trashcat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Glad to hear the Indstads are working out for you!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:21 pm

I skied Whaleback yesterday, and it was great. 6-8" of snow to start, followed by heavy sleet most of the day which made for heavy, but not sticky, pow riding. More snow up north, but I wanted to keep the drive relatively easy. My skiing has entered a new phase, I feel like I'm almost 22yrs old again. So close to perfect. Mind-body connection, the terrain compliments me and I compliment the terrain, and we dance. Goddamm I love skiing.

Then today out at Pine Hill and putting down some K&G, 0degF, blowing wind, perfect. No noise but the forest bowing to the wind.

Fantastic couple of days, and more skiing in store tomorrow and Wednesday!