The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

Post by fisheater » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Canna,
I really shouldn't be asking this, because I don't need anymore gear. Antarctic class boots, are they much lighter than Ski March boots, but offer good control of < 70 mm waisted skis, with good touring performance?
I am still waiting to get my Alaska out (NNN), I have a Gamme and a USGI mounted NNN. However a lighter boot that still turned well could be very appealing on the FT 62.
I need to see how NNN works, and I need snow not gear.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 pm

fisheater wrote: I really shouldn't be asking this, because I don't need anymore gear. Antarctic class boots,
Well, you should stop asking those questions then! :mrgreen:

The Sydpolen/Antarctic is about 1000-1080g for a size 42. Its everything you dream of with a cherry on top.

Its unbelievable how well I can tele a double cambered E99-class ski with those and simple pins (no cables)...and still have great K&G.

TM has really been on point all those years! ;)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Enough to make any leather fan go ABSOLUTELY crazy (lets see what happens):

What Andrew had to offer a few years back!
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 5.31.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 5.32.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 5.35.40 PM.png
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:03 am

"B" what do they mean about rubber????? Know way back some people were trying to put down the North Rim boot by saying they had plastic injected into the boot for strength...In reality they did have some rubber in them....The best "Heavy Duty " boot I have had....E99's are a great ski....They just don't ski like a down hill ski...Once one learns the difference a new world evolves....Telekid is experimenting with them....Need to get him a longer set....TM

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:17 am

greatgt wrote:"B" what do they mean about rubber????? Know way back some people were trying to put down the North Rim boot by saying they had plastic injected into the boot for strength...
Hey Teleman, the rubber stands for the rubber rand on the outside of the boot, over the welt and leather. IMO. Its there for protecting the leather and perhaps waterproofing...plastic reinforcements like the Salpa in the Alico Blaze, that is something else entirely and I would not be surprise if the Noth Rims have some of that.

Do you enjoy K&G with the North Rim?

Hope you get some of the snow we are getting here now!

Buda

Post by Buda » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 am

Cannatonic wrote:...I can't believe the Rifugios are available, what a find, I am definitely ordering a pair ASAP! The Andrew Zenith are wider than Crispi Antarctic, they stretched really well for me...
Cannatonic, did you get some Rifugios? How does the size compare to your other boots? I'm wondering about the post below.
Verskis wrote:Warning about Andrew sizing:
I had an old pair of Andrew Rifugios in size 43, which is the size I use in most shoes, and they were so small I had to sell them. My big toe was touching the front end of the shoe all the time. It was especially painful when walking, but skiing was not that pleasant either.
So, unless they have changed their sizing, I suggest to size up in Andrew boots.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:42 pm

bgregoire wrote:Enough to make any leather fan go ABSOLUTELY crazy (lets see what happens):

What Andrew had to offer a few years back!
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 5.31.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 5.32.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 5.35.40 PM.png
Imelda, sort de ce corps! Je t'en conjure! :lol:
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Buda wrote: Cannatonic, did you get some Rifugios? How does the size compare to your other boots? I'm wondering about the post below.
Verskis wrote:Warning about Andrew sizing:
I had an old pair of Andrew Rifugios in size 43, which is the size I use in most shoes, and they were so small I had to sell them. My big toe was touching the front end of the shoe all the time. It was especially painful when walking, but skiing was not that pleasant either.
So, unless they have changed their sizing, I suggest to size up in Andrew boots.
Buda, I had the same concern (not that I am ordering a pair right now) and asked Aventure Nordique about sizing. This was their response:
Aventure Nordique wrote: Les Andrew Rifugio ont un chaussant classique, sans demi-pointure. Nous vous conseillons d'opter pour votre pointure habituelle.

Concernant les équivalent UK, la pointure 41 équivaut au UK 7 et la 42 au UK 8.
Basically, what they are saying conforms with the recent Andrew sizing chart found here:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 155#p24446
I'll pursue the conversation with them and see if they have tried them on to verify fit.

From reading obsure norwegian ski forums, I have read that the Andrew last is medium in width. Some actually recommend them for narrower feet. But with boot stretchers, you can do magic!

Remember, these are small batch productions, so they might have very well corrected sizing since Verskis experience?

From reading Canna's comments on the Zenith, I actually reckoned, to his experience, the Andrew was actually a half EU size generous as opposed to Verskis experience.

Buda, perhaps you should order a pair and let us know what you think? In the great scheme of things, if they have to be returned for another size, you will be contributing to making this world a better place and will be the happiest man in slick italian leather. :P

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:04 pm

If all the soles are Vibram 1015 Ferret, would that mean only the leather Upper changes flex? I don't believe that should be true. However how can all the soles be the same?

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:34 pm

fisheater wrote:If all the soles are Vibram 1015 Ferret, would that mean only the leather Upper changes flex? I don't believe that should be true. However how can all the soles be the same?
Hi Fish! Norwegian welt (NW) 101:

Yes, most most all norwegian welt telemark boots have the Vibram 1015 Ferret sole. By itself, unglued, its actually quite soft. If you look carefully at the sole of your NW sole, you will notice that it is composed of several layers. On the top, you will find the leather upper glued and stitched to the sole. On the bottom the Ferret sole is only glued. Depending on the model, you will find 1 or 2 extra layers in between: the midsole. The layer directly above the ferret is the last layer that receives the NW stitches from above. An intermediate layer of a stiffer material such as nylon is used to increase sole stiffness.

For example, my Crispi Sydpolen only has one midsole layer that looks like it is made of rubber (like the ferret) but my Alico teletour has one thin rubber like layer and a nylon wedge layer 6mm at the front that tapers down to a flat 3mm passed the duckbill.

Additionnally, manufacturers can glue stiffening insole inside the boot. Again, my Alico Teletour have a glued in insole that looks like it is made of SALPA (engineered leather).

Of course, Manusfacturers can also add reinforcement into the leather upper (like the Salpa used in the Alico Blaze), but that mostly is for improves lateral stability (stiffness), not sole stiffness.

http://www.alicosport.it/TELEMARK%20BOOT.htm

Hope that helps!

How are the soles of your Alico Ski March boots constructed?