Seeking advice for mounting BD-01 bindings on Voile Busters

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
stratoskier

Seeking advice for mounting BD-01 bindings on Voile Busters

Post by stratoskier » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Greetings!

I picked up a pair of Voile Busters (2013-14 model, I think) that I plan to mount with Black Diamond 01 tele bindings. The skis were mounted once before with alpine bindings. They have a decal marking the "Boot Center" line, but no markings to indicate the 3-Pin line.

I was going to have REI mount them up for me, but they insisted that I tell them exactly where I wanted the bindings located because there is not a lot of consensus on where to put tele bindings (so true). I've read over the "Where to Mount Telemark Bindings Part I and II" links on this site, which says this:

First of all, and this is THE most important tip, always mount according to manufacturer’s recommendation first. They designed the ski, they know its construction, you should trust their expertise. Whatever they recommend, no matter how silly it sounds to you and your 50 years of knowledge, try it first.

However, all of the info and templates on the Voile site reference the 3-Pin line rather than the Boot Center line, so that doesn't help a great deal. Does anyone have any tips for what might be the best spot to mount these up? The skis are huge (118 under foot) so they'll mostly be a big powder ski. But who knows, I'll probably try them on some light days, too.

Thanks!

(EDIT: Oops, I just found a similar thread further down about mounting 3-pin bindings on Voile Objective skis. There is some additional info there about the relationship between the boot center and 3-pin lines that may help me out. I like this forum -- lots of good info lurking here!)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Seeking advice for mounting BD-01 bindings on Voile Busters

Post by Johnny » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:52 pm

stratoskier wrote:Greetings!
(EDIT: Oops, I just found a similar thread further down about mounting 3-pin bindings on Voile Objective skis. There is some additional info there about the relationship between the boot center and 3-pin lines that may help me out. I like this forum -- lots of good info lurking here!)
Yep, that's a good start... Align the BC mark with the boot center of your tele boots and mark the pin line on the ski... Then mount 2 or 3 cm aft (toward boot center) and you should be near perfection...

But try to contact Voile too, they might help...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

stratoskier

Re: Seeking advice for mounting BD-01 bindings on Voile Busters

Post by stratoskier » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Johnny -- I just now saw your response. Thanks for chiming in. As is my custom, I keep staring at these skis and going back and forth on precisely where to mount them. I think I about have it figured out now, though.