Mounting 3-pin bindings to Voile Objective skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
gbedford

Mounting 3-pin bindings to Voile Objective skis

Post by gbedford » Sun May 27, 2018 5:10 am

Thanks for all the helpful advice from various people in deciding what length of Voile Objective ski to buy. I got the 178s
I now have another question.
When I went to mount the 3-pin bindings I read Johnny's advice and looked up Voile's information.
I measured and marked the balance point, chord centre and the Voile boot centre mark.

The balance point is about 2cm forward of the chord centre and the boot centre mark is behind the balance point but this puts the pins 3.5 cm ahead of the balance point. I went wow. Do I put the pin line on the balance point or do I use the boot centre mark for boot centre.
This advice from Voile is amazing. The Voile advice seems to be just as for mounting alpine bindings with boot centre at the all mountain mark on the ski. I looked at my old K2 Super Stinx telemark skis and the binding is mounted with pins at the balance point. As these are dedicated alpine/ telemark skis, I am now thinking that it is too far back. But I want to XC as well as ski steeper stuff on the Objectives. That is why I bought the BC waxless version, to minimise skin
use.
What do people think,

Best regards,
Gordon Bedford

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Mounting 3-pin bindings to Voile Objective skis

Post by Woodserson » Sun May 27, 2018 9:29 am

Voile recommends 98.7cm straight back from tip and mark for boot-sole center for the 178cm. Done and done. I think you're overthinking this a little too much, they make it very straightforward. Voile is also a telemark company that caters to telemark skiers. Look at their bindings. They are no slouches when it comes to telemark. Adjust according to what your preferences are if you know exactly what that is.

https://www.voile.com/Voile_Ski_Boot_Center_Chart.pdf

What is your boot size?
I have two Objectives-- smooth and BC. The smooths are mounted 2cm back, but that's because there were so many holes in the ski (used ski) and that's the earliest I could put them down. They are fine, though early on I got in the backset more than I wanted to and I had to compensate for that. That being said I have mondo 30.5 boots so my toe is still very forward, kind of where any other persons toe would be. If your boots are mondo 28 or less and you mount them up with the factory recommended midsole line the toe will be at the same location my toe is at... conversely if you move your 28 mondo boot midsole back two cm you're going to be way way back!

My BC's are mounted as recommended by Voile and they are fine too. I may remount them slightly aft, but remember! I have huge feets and when compared to a normal person the toe-lines would compare at the same place.

This is a rockered alpine ski not a nordic one. Treat it as such and follow the Voile's recommendations, if you have very large feet or know exactly what you want, consider moving it back 1 to 2cm.

It's a great ski, I love mine. Don't try to re-invent the wheel.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun May 27, 2018 10:25 am

I mounted both my BC and smooth Objective 2-3cm back of Voile's recommendation... And I wouldn't have it any other way... My hands and brain tried really hard to drill holes at V's position, but my heart and feelings didn't seem to agree... (The heart must always win over your brain kids, always remember that...! ;) )

But I use them on fresh, 6"+ powder only... For a multipurpose ski, I would probably have follow V's recommendation first...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun May 27, 2018 2:49 pm

I wouldn't change the mount position from what Voile recommends just because you plan to xc with them. I would only mount back of what they recommend based on your own experience and preference. If you don't have that experience why try to reinvent the wheel, like woods said.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun May 27, 2018 7:01 pm

Re-reading the OP post... a couple of CM back makes them float a bit better in deep pow, and they'll be a bit faster too with the scales. I still think if you've got less than 28 mondo boots to go with recommended.

gbedford

Post by gbedford » Mon May 28, 2018 4:17 am

You blokes are fantastic.
Sure I have years of skiing under my belt but not with bindings mounted differently than at the balance point.
I will go with Voile's recommendation especially since my boots are 26.5's.
Thanks again