The Rockpile last week- pics

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

The Rockpile last week- pics

Post by Woodserson » Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 am

Did some skiing last week up on Washington and Tuckerman Ravine. The Ravine was characterized by late-season runnels, which are basically sluff/slush/corn paths that repeat over themselves and get very deep-- waterslide deep. One could easily fit inside and a viewer looking over the top wouldn't notice the person. Almost impossible to ski. However there was good skiing on the snowfields up high and they were still linked up with the Bowl.

You can see the Runnels here in a late afternoon photo
20180509_145851.jpg
climbing up the Chute
IMG_20180509_123733 copy.jpg
coming down south snowfield. I realize I have a tight stance. Is this OK?
DSC_2972 copy.jpg
I love how the ski bending is captured in this picture
DSC_2977 copy.jpg
Traversing for a better line under the ice-- a stupid move that one makes when one doesn't have children to care for at home, also I only stopped under bare rocks
IMG_20180509_144245 copy.jpg
I just like this picture
DSC_3015 copy.jpg
END OF THE LINE. TERRIBLE. HATE THIS.
20180509_182244.jpg

Woodserson

Re: The Rockpile last week- pics

Post by Woodserson » Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 am

We had an adventure getting down via some bushwacking attempting to find some more sweet turns. We found no sweet turns, and had to downclimb this chimney. We threw our bags down, mine got stuck. There's a 15'+ gap on lookers-left that sucks under the cliff. The snow is completely rotten, non-supportive of weight, and undermined. All of this was terrible idea.
IMG_20180509_171118_1 copy.jpg

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed May 16, 2018 2:07 pm

wow, from the Alps to the Whites, I"m totally jealous, looks like a great day, your stance looks perfect. I guess we can't avoid 80 degree days in spring anymore, will have to learn to like the runnels & stuff.

It's not New England backcountry without a good 'schwack! it's always seems like a good idea at first....
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed May 16, 2018 7:00 pm

Cannatonic wrote: It's not New England backcountry without a good 'schwack! it's always seems like a good idea at first....
Fortunately, my buddy brought beer for both of us. Makes the schwak go better, as always!

groughsurfer

Post by groughsurfer » Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 am

Where were you skiing? Your stance looks great to me and your excursion seemed to vary between the entertaining and the 'character building'. Thanks for the pictures

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 am

groughsurfer wrote:Where were you skiing? Your stance looks great to me and your excursion seemed to vary between the entertaining and the 'character building'. Thanks for the pictures
Mount Washington in northern New Hampshire. Highest point in the US northeast at 6,288'/1916m. It's part of the Presidential Mountain Range inside the White Mountain National Forest. Tuckerman Ravine is a steep glacial cirque on the east side renowned for it's spring skiing and is a total circus, which is part of its charm. Until recently the summit had the highest surface wind speed ever recorded at 231mph in 1934. The weather is almost always awful. Wonderful place!

Thanks for the kudos on the stance. Learning tele in a vacuum over here and always happy to get some advice and tips and critiques. Thanks to my buddy YOUNG ZEUS for the great pictures.

STG

Post by STG » Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 am

Your technique and style look so effortless and smooth! Rotten snow sucks. You obviously worked hard for your turns. Thanks for posting photos/adventure

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 am

Woodserson wrote:Thanks for the kudos on the stance. Learning tele in a vacuum over here and always happy to get some advice and tips and critiques. Thanks to my buddy YOUNG ZEUS for the great pictures.
Good for you for still getting out there. Your stance is good as far as fore and aft, and it seems to be working for you. The only suggestion I have is to open it up a little. I think you will like the feel and realize the benefits of skiing with your skis about hip width apart, and at your skill level it will be an easy change to implement. It enabled me to feel each skis edge independently as opposed to skiing both skis as one. If you work on this next season I think it will be the tool you need for the headwall at Tuks. When you did the P turns there was your stance open?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri May 18, 2018 9:03 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Good for you for still getting out there. Your stance is good as far as fore and aft, and it seems to be working for you. The only suggestion I have is to open it up a little. I think you will like the feel and realize the benefits of skiing with your skis about hip width apart, and at your skill level it will be an easy change to implement. It enabled me to feel each skis edge independently as opposed to skiing both skis as one. If you work on this next season I think it will be the tool you need for the headwall at Tuks. When you did the P turns there was your stance open?
OK-great. Thanks! I agree that this is my problem, I think. I would like a bit wider stance also. I have a few things going on- my ankle naturally roll in and I'm slightly knock-kneed and also I come from the now-older alpine A-Frame Stance. So I think everything tightens up width-wise. I'm going to have to work on this consciously and see what happens. My Alpine P turns are different, I'm more athletically stanced albeit with the A-Frame. I still have trouble tele turning most slopes above 40degrees. (35-38 seems to be my upper end).

I have some pictures of my Alpine skiing from years ago but here's me skiing below the headwall last week in P-Turn but obviously in my tele gear.
DSC_3005.1.jpg
Anyway-- I think the season is pretty much over. Gives me something to chew on for next season!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sun May 20, 2018 6:43 am

Don't open nuttin......Throw away those fat skis and get Nordic....Kick the snot outta Tucks on long high speed skinnies with double camber for frosting...Vote Trump while at it!!!!! TM